Which fighting game of SNK is the best.

Well in my opinion all of them are the best but I'm a Samurai Shodown, King of Fighters and Fatal Fury freak.

But let's talked about which game is the best from SNK is it;

Art of Fighting

Fatal Fury

King of Fighters

Samurai shodown

The REAL BOUT saga

and other games like Kizuna Encounters, Kabuki Slash, Rage of Dragons and Mark of the Wolves.

Give your opinion.

caleb1883

Super Spy Agent
This thread has been done fifty times over. Please search. The majority of people consider KOF 98 and Mark of the Wolves to be the best, but there is a lot of love towards fan favorites such as Last Blade 2, and AOF2.

Danthor

NAM-75 Vet
I'm all about Samurai Shodown. Yes the first one. Though I'll take SSIV in a heartbeat. Close second to me is King of Fighters 97. Though as was mentioned earlier, I also have lots of love for Last Blade 2 and Art of Fighting 2.

mmsadda

Just buy my shit. Seriously. You can call me Susan
10 Year Member
KING of GLADIATOR!

Okay, seriously, I go for later titles myself. I like SamShoIV quite well, and Garou of course. I actually really like the later Real Bout titles, too. King of Gladiator is a hack, but it's one of the more enjoyable games I've played.... and I like Samurai Shodown V, but haven't played it enough yet to know if it's really a favorite.

chewurface

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
IMO, SSV is an unbalanced mess of a fighter. It's fun for people who don't know how to play, but for fighter vets it's just too sloppy.

SSVS is better, far from perfect, but better. I do love the new art style of SSVS for the character portraits.

p.s. Why doesn't Mai jiggle as much in SvC Chaos as she does in other games? It's kind of dissapointing.

Clessy

Banned
The Last Blade series is SNKs best. Great music great graphics and great gameplay. Nothing they can do is gonna be any better.

Another one I get alot of fun out of is Rage Of The Dragons. Love the music and love the tag system. I cant play the game for shit though :(

Mark Of the Wolves is of course just a absolute piece of art and wonderfull all over.

Darkneo

Morden's Lackey
Well in my opinion all of them are the best but I'm a Samurai Shodown, King of Fighters and Fatal Fury freak.

But let's talked about which game is the best from SNK is it;

Art of Fighting

Fatal Fury

King of Fighters

Samurai shodown

The REAL BOUT saga

and other games like Kizuna Encounters, Kabuki Slash, Rage of Dragons and Mark of the Wolves.

Give your opinion.

I like em all :buttrock:

KagerouSama

Dr. Brown's Time Machine Mechanic
15 Year Member
IMO, SSV is an unbalanced mess of a fighter. It's fun for people who don't know how to play, but for fighter vets it's just too sloppy.

When I had SSV (all be it for XBox), I can say that while I believe I only knew a few basics of what to do, I didn't find it so much fun as I found it motivation for committing horrible masochistic atrocities.

I don't admit to being a fair judge of the Shodown series because, even for having tried to have liked it, it's never captured my interest for very long because I personally didn't find it fun.

V was less so, because it seemed a grand expanse of unneeded characters.
Sure, you could, effectively, set up a five to six button array in the in-game menu.
But, I didn't find that all too helpful either.
It felt like it couldn't decide what game it wanted to be most like from the previous games.
Bust and Slash revisions were cleaved apart as separate characters to add a boggling array to the character select menu.
The music of this installment, from what I remember, didn't feel very ambient.
The coloring of the sprites and backgrounds looked artificially bright, too. It almost felt as if Ted Turner had set out to colorize Schindler's List in pantone or technicolor to make the girl in the red coat black and white.

Well, maybe saying that I like SSV the least of a series I don't like to play may not carry a lot of weight. However, it is a series I respect through IV (Which I did feel was fun but reached stagnation on the amount of feudal Japanese media that was around when I was playing it.) as a series which knew how to pander to it's audience.

That said, the "Which is best" argument is one I'm weary of seeing. It's all going to amount to bleating and opinion with little qualification in the end--as it always seems to with matters of entertainment. Different things are bound to please different people. You can form a consensus of opinion on the matter. What you're not going to get from asking "which is best from insert entertainment type here" is a definitive.

Yet... it keeps happening.
Now, pardon me whilst I go outside to stop the Moon and Sun from revolution and the tides from turning.

topher

Tesse's Maintainence Man
Duh...Garou MotW is the absolute best game followed closely by either LB.

Well I have to accept that I'm with you in this one, Chewurface, SSV was a good game but it lack of some moves like the KILL or for those who like Mortal Kombat, the fatality move. Well I have to say that we met new characters Rasetsumaru, Rera, Enja, Suija, Kusaregedo and the others. At the same time the game lacks a bit of graphics.

But I don't care about that, I recgonize their effort doing the game. And for me is one of best.

But my favorite game of the SS Saga is Samurai Shodown II no doubt.

I know is a little bit old, but it was the first game that I used to play.

Danthor

NAM-75 Vet
Well I have to say that we met new characters Rasetsumaru, Rera, Enja, Suija, Kusaregedo and the others.

Sorta. Kusaregedo was new, but the others you mentioned are just Bust counterparts of Haohmaru, Nakoruru, Sogetsu, and Kazuki, without actually having the slash/bust system. As KagerouSama already pointed out in his lengthy critique, which as a huge SS fan, I completely agree with!

Also, I found Concentration One mode needlessly complex (how often do you really end up having that little life left, and actually think about that mode being there?), and ultimately next to useless as your now slo-mo'd opponent can still block whatever you think you're going to pull off.

Though It did bring one thing I actually enjoyed. The Green strength gague which governs the strength of your attacks forces you to back off and think every now and again for maximum effectiveness. Keeps the pacing nice and deliberate.

Even though I also share KagerouSama's sentiment of liking SSV the least of them all, that's not to say I don't think SSV is entirely without purpose. Because of its relative new ish-ness, I can usually (and have a few times) used that game as an approachable springboard to get other people into the series. Then I give em a dose of the good stuff and they never go back :)

But comparing from SSV to SSVS, I think SSVS is the best, Not to mention, that you're able to do KILL move (I know that you're doing a sacrife with the pow bar but is worth it if the character doesn't block), also you can do great combos and the good thing is you can choose the Bosses of all SS series.

But I'm just waiting for Samurai Shodown 6. I heard the game will be launched in March 10th.
And I'm sure is going to be a hell of a game.

chewurface

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
But I'm just waiting for Samurai Shodown 6. I heard the game will be launched in March 10th.
And I'm sure is going to be a hell of a game.

SSVI is Tenkaichi for the Atomiswave, is it not?...I think the new one is callled SS Sen.

Danthor

NAM-75 Vet
SSVI is Tenkaichi for the Atomiswave, is it not?...I think the new one is callled SS Sen.

You are correct, sir.

Also, SNK freak, SS6 is part of the SS anthology whenever that comes out, so you'll get your fix soon enough :) Though you should know there is no killing in that one either. Or blood for that matter.

Rade K

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
1989-1995: SS2

Post 1996 era: KOF98/MOTW

After that, it all got too despressing.

I know there's no killing in SSVI because I've played the Asian version of the game which is in english. But you never know if the American version have something different.

But the people of Gamestop said "The SS Anthology WILL come with 7 games instead of 6 like they did with the Asian version, they removed SSVS but the game will be included in the American version.

And nobody knows if SSVI for he american version will come with the feature of blood or not. I think we rather wait and see for ourselves

Last edited:

chewurface

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
I can't imagine SNK adding blood / fatalities to the US release of a JP game that didn't originally have them, it just wouldn't make sense.

As for the people at Gamestop, don't listen to them.

Well the SS, and SSII (in the asian version) you're able to play the game without any problems at all and also SSIII.
But when I started playing SSIV I had to wait a bit longer for the loading to come out so I can play the game and addition to that you're not able to strech the image to fit the screen of the psp.
Well I don't listen to them 'cause they used to lie a lot, but SNK can make exceptions for the US Version for example:

* they can chage the time of the loading sequence in every game.

* they can add the blood feature in the game.

* fix the ad hoc connection, while you're playing you can notice that sometimes the sound comes after the hit, and don't forget the loading between getting in and out while you're playing ad hoc.

I think the Asians ( I have nothing against them, ok ) mess with this Anthology game but I hope SNK can do something go about the US version

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
ragnagard lolololol

(I really do wanna play that one out of curiosity)