Pioneer LaserActive repair needed

Fakk2

Crossed Swords 2 Bootleg Artist.,
If anyone knows how to fix problems with the Pioneer LaserActive (and its pacs) please PM me as I need someone to repair mine. I haven't used it in years and when I went to play it yesterday I found out it now has some issues. Someone with LA knowledge would be nice to talk to about these issues. Thanks. :)

rarehero

Rotterdam Nation Resident,
20 Year Member
what's the problem?
i'm trying to fix my dvl 919. it's a power supply problem for me.

Fakk2

Hey rarehero, I'm having some issues with one of my LaserActive packs not working with the sound properly so I need someone that can repair control packs. The sound worked on it for about a month then slowly got dimmer and dimmer until I could no longer hear the sound from the pack. It still plays games, and the graphics work fine but there is no sound. Install a different pack and it works fine, so the pack must be the issue and not the player. Know where any Pioneer shops are that can repair these things?

I thought Jeff Kurtz might be able to fix it, but last I spoke with him he was a little busy for any repairs. Any ideas?

rarehero

Rotterdam Nation Resident,
20 Year Member
man. i wish i had my laseractive with me.
but my assumption is that if there was sound and it gradually went away
then maybe it's the connections.
anyways.
http://groups.google.com/group/alt.video.laserdisc/
is a nice place to look for ld info.
look up laseractive in the search and it should pull up alot of things.
funny thing.
i picked up an ld player for 5 bucks today.
still needs to see if it works.

Fakk2

K thanks :), and wow an LD player for $5... dang. Nice find!

vincewy

Loyal Neo-Disciple,
20 Year Member
AFAIK recapping is needed for all modules (assuming the LD players don't burn out).

I am looking into this now and in the process of getting all of my modules recapped before they start leaking and damaging the rest of the modules.

I found where to buy the parts (see links to buy PAC-N1/N10 kits too) and will follow up on this later.

https://console5.com/store/pioneer-sega-pac-s10-cap-kit.html

ShootTheCore

Bead Banger
AFAIK recapping is needed for all modules (assuming the LD players don't burn out).

I am looking into this now and in the process of getting all of my modules recapped before they start leaking and damaging the rest of the modules.

I found where to buy the parts (see links to buy PAC-N1/N10 kits too) and will follow up on this later.

https://console5.com/store/pioneer-sega-pac-s10-cap-kit.html

Yes, this is exactly it. The PACs are notorious for leaking caps, and sound fade is the first obvious symptom of it. You're already on the right track ordering recap kits from Console5 - their Wiki also has cap lists and diagrams. Just make sure you clean up the cap leakage throughly before soldering your new caps into place.

Fakk2

Yes, this is exactly it. The PACs are notorious for leaking caps, and sound fade is the first obvious symptom of it. You're already on the right track ordering recap kits from Console5 - their Wiki also has cap lists and diagrams. Just make sure you clean up the cap leakage throughly before soldering your new caps into place.

Also take note that, once leaking begins, the pads underneath the caps become extremely easy to just wipe off the board if your cleaning them up after removal of the caps, assuming you don't accidentally remove the pads underneath whilst removing the caps.

I would advise using some white vinegar on a q-tip first after cap removal and rub it gently on the boards where the caps leakage is to stop the acidic corrosion, then follow up a few minutes later with rubbing alcohol 90%+ to clean the area before continuing with new cap installation. Remember to be gentle as hell with the pads as they can just wipe off if the damage is sufficient.

Use a multimeter during the process so you can make sure each cap area survived each cap install so you don't need to do multiple testing on the machine just to make sure everything is going okay during the install, because the one thing you don't want to happen, especially after recapping a Sega PAC, (which are a nightmare in themselves), is to get finished and plug it into the PAC Port, and turn on a LaserActive just to see a graphical glitch appear, or have a sound issue and have to recheck every single spot after to see what went wrong.

Have fun recapping the PAC's! It's a new journey for everyone, and yes the Sega PAC's and TG PACs need a recap, ALL of them. The Karaoke PACs do not need recapping as last I checked the parts in them are typical, and don't seem to have issues.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
Also take note that, once leaking begins, the pads underneath the caps become extremely easy to just wipe off the board if your cleaning them up after removal of the caps, assuming you don't accidentally remove the pads underneath whilst removing the caps.

I would advise using some white vinegar on a q-tip first after cap removal and rub it gently on the boards where the caps leakage is to stop the acidic corrosion, then follow up a few minutes later with rubbing alcohol 90%+ to clean the area before continuing with new cap installation. Remember to be gentle as hell with the pads as they can just wipe off if the damage is sufficient.

Use a multimeter during the process so you can make sure each cap area survived each cap install so you don't need to do multiple testing on the machine just to make sure everything is going okay during the install, because the one thing you don't want to happen, especially after recapping a Sega PAC, (which are a nightmare in themselves), is to get finished and plug it into the PAC Port, and turn on a LaserActive just to see a graphical glitch appear, or have a sound issue and have to recheck every single spot after to see what went wrong.

Have fun recapping the PAC's! It's a new journey for everyone, and yes the Sega PAC's and TG PACs need a recap, ALL of them. The Karaoke PACs do not need recapping as last I checked the parts in them are typical, and don't seem to have issues.

Hey Fakk, I just sold my official crossed swords 2 kit for $280. How about dem apples.

Fakk2

Hey Fakk, I just sold my official crossed swords 2 kit for $280. How about dem apples.

?? okay ?? LOL! Silly people on these forums! :D I hate to tell you this, but just because people around here can't take a joke, or understand what humor is, doesn't make a difference to me.

Also, you can sell your own games for 5 Mil, or 1 cent, it's up to each individual on what they wish to sell their own games for, and I don't care one bit what anyone decides to do with their OWN games, neither should anyone else. :D k?

Glad we had this time to talk about it, now stick to the subject in this thread, or I will have to block you too, have a nice day. :) Back to LASERACTIVE, and LaserDisc talk please. Thanks!

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
Can't your husband fix it? What did you import him for?

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
?? okay ?? LOL! Silly people on these forums! :D I hate to tell you this, but just because people around here can't take a joke, or understand what humor is, doesn't make a difference to me.

Also, you can sell your own games for 5 Mil, or 1 cent, it's up to each individual on what they wish to sell their own games for, and I don't care one bit what anyone decides to do with their OWN games, neither should anyone else. :D k?

Glad we had this time to talk about it, now stick to the subject in this thread, or I will have to block you too, have a nice day. :) Back to LASERACTIVE, and LaserDisc talk please. Thanks!

Block me if you want, I don't give a shit. You took someone else's Rom and tried to make a ridiculous profit and the fact that you don't apologize or admit that you are wrong is complete shit. At least when I do dumb shit, I admit that I am wrong. You should be giving away free Crossed Swords 2 carts after the shit you pulled.

Why the fuck was this guy not banned?

Anyways, I never got the chance to vent in the other thread. Sorry for de-railing this one as some people are interested in the Laseractive and don't want to ruin it for them.

segasonicfan

Camel Slug
oh geeze, I was gonna offer to help OP, read thru entire thread and now I see it is from 2009! why are we bumping ancient history with zero useful infos?