What AES PSU and True Stereo?

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
So I got this for cheap and it didn't come with a PSU.

dsc02492km1.jpg

And I want to mod it for real stereo AKA not the headphone trick. Anyone got a custom schematic for a circuit for one? OR is it possible to use any points on the bottom of the PCB for the sound that is not affected by the slider? I just want it to stay line level no matter what.

dsc02498kf9.jpg

Last edited:

channelmaniac

Mr Neo Fix-it
15 Year Member
At the bottom of the pic is a TO-220 cased device. Is that a 5 pin device? If so, it takes 9v @ 1.2A DC.

RJ

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Forgot to ask if it has to be a specific polarity.

Hewitson

Metal Slug Mechanic
That link I posted shows how to configure the HA13001 for stereo operation, however I have no idea where/how the L/R channels are merged on the AES.

Hewitson

Metal Slug Mechanic
No idea, unless someone else knows I'd take the unit to the shop with me so I could make sure I got the correct plug.

channelmaniac

Mr Neo Fix-it
15 Year Member
Honestly, I forget what size the plug is.

I bought a universal switching regulator at Fry's for $12.95. It outputs 1.2A and had the right size plug on it.

RJ

Kunio

Mr. Big's Thug
It's 2.1mm. The 2.5mm ones are rare as far as I know. The only system I have seen them used in are late PAL version SNES systems.

doctor_shred

Zero's Secretary
I found a great replacement power supply from another console that works great but got such a roasting from the forum when I reported it I daren't speak of it again:loco:

Check my threads for more info...

SNKNostalgia

Gal Ageise's Demon
Thanks. What about the stereo question?

Couldn't you just tap the sound out of the points before the amp on the volume slider? Also, I do know that if you tap the audio too early on the traces, some sound will be missing. So you have to connect all that mess together if you go that route.

I messed around a little bit with this on two different systems. What is funny is that my earlier system didn't sound all too great with audio tapped from the slider. My current system sounds great if you tap the slider. I just keep the volume at 60%-70% and get no bad distortion. I guess the best way to do it is a perfect line out tap and using a digital amp so the there is no audio loss. Works best since the receiver does all the amplification.

Always, I wondered if you could use an amp with some filter like capabilities much like how some emulators use through programing. You won't be able to up the SQ to 48khz or anything, but at least maybe clean up some sound.

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
And I want to mod it for real stereo AKA not the headphone trick
How is true stereo different from what you get from the headphone jack?- are the two left and right channels more separated?(also you can use a stereo jack to 2 RCA red,white adaptor- is this any better than just plugging the headphones into the socket?). KPJ talks about his consolized systems having the "true" stereo sound mod, but I thought that was just bs, so apparently it's not?
How do you get true stereo on a 2 slot MVS board- though the jamma pcb connector? would it be better to use the headphone socket on my supergun, rather than the socket on the MVS board?

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
Every modded AES I've seen taps the stereo from the headphone jack. The one kpj did for me tapped the headphone jack. It must be just the most practical way. I'm with you, I'd prefer it didn't though.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
I'm gonna try to tap it from before the amp or slider to see if I can get line level audio.

Does anyone know where that is before hand?

Hewitson

Metal Slug Mechanic
You may want to look up the datasheet for the HA13001 and tap it from its inputs. Please let me know how you go if you do try this, as I have been considering trying it myself.

chewurface

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
I'm gonna try to tap it from before the amp or slider to see if I can get line level audio.

Does anyone know where that is before hand?

Hey, I don't know if this is what you need or not...it's from an old mod guide I had printed out ages ago, from a site that no loner exists. Sorry for the crappy quality. Hope it helps!

Neo_Stereo.jpg

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
At the bottom of the pic is a TO-220 cased device. Is that a 5 pin device? If so, it takes 9v @ 1.2A DC.

RJ

Hey RJ,

Is 1.2A minimum or recommended amps? I found one that's 1.6A which I'm hoping is enough juice. Let me know.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member

RJ

I have another AES that does not have the 5 prong but the 3 prong to the left of the rest button. IIRC it's 5v, is that correct?

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member

I just got different results for 2 AES consoles that use the 9v adapter.

Pre 100k AES could not play Fatal Fury 2 with a 9v 1.2A adapter
Post 200k AES could play Fatal Fury 2 with a 9v 1.2A adapter

and both could not play Sam Sho 2 with the 1.2A adapter. Instead I tried a 1.6A and all was well. I measured the current and it was pushing 1.1-1.2A on both consoles. If I had another AES that was Pre 100k I could probably be certain about it.