GP2X Wiz: Less than a month away?

SML

NEANDERTHAL FUCKER,
20 Year Member
I didn't want to double post, but I've really appreciated the articles. They've actually become my primary source of info while GP32x is down.

Flavor

Saver,
I didn't want to double post, but I've really appreciated the articles. They've actually become my primary source of info while GP32x is down.

Thanks! I say that if you have something new to add, another post is better than editing your last post (or waiting for someone else to post in between). Though, I got kicked off a forum for triple-posting, but I think that had more to do with the ego-filled power-tripping Nightcrawler than anything else.

SML

NEANDERTHAL FUCKER,
20 Year Member
Just got my invoice from Play-Asia.

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member
Yeah, they have the units in stock! I did a lengthy writeup last night in case anyone is interested. http://play-asia-rulez.blogspot.com/2009/05/gp2x-wiz-review-ready-to-rock.html

for some reason, Google is blocking your shit on my machine ???

"... but your query looks similar to automated requests from a computer virus or spyware application. To protect our users, we can't process your request right now. "

edit: definitely something on my end [work network, etc...bummer, wanted to read your write-up]

Flavor

Saver,
for some reason, Google is blocking your shit on my machine ???

"... but your query looks similar to automated requests from a computer virus or spyware application. To protect our users, we can't process your request right now. "

edit: definitely something on my end [work network, etc...bummer, wanted to read your write-up]

Weird. Try this.

Go to google.com and in the search box, put this.
Code:
cache:http://play-asia-rulez.blogspot.com/2009/05/gp2x-wiz-review-ready-to-rock.html

See if that will allow you to view it.

SML

NEANDERTHAL FUCKER,
20 Year Member
WIZ

IZ

IN

HAND.

I'm liking it already.

pixeljunkie

20 Year Member
anxious to hear some first hand reviews of the emulators on this one

SML

NEANDERTHAL FUCKER,
20 Year Member
SNES emulation is definitely playable, though a little off (most of the available emulators are quick ports from GP2X versions atm, though.)

CPS2 emulation is very nice, and I'll tell you more after my girlfriend stops playing Gem Fighter.

edit: I'm currently using the files posted at http://archive.gp2xwiz.de/cgi-bin/cfiles.cgi, so if there are newer or better versions of any of these lmk.

another edit: I just played through the first stage of Super Castlevania IV, and while the diagonals are slightly sensitive (once or twice I found myself crawling forward when I meant to walk, or whipping diagonally instead of straight up) they feel easy to get used to.

Genesis is *great,* and I'm going to have to tool around to get the neo stuff to run. I'll be back tonight.

Last edited:

SML

NEANDERTHAL FUCKER,
20 Year Member
On the d-pad: It's good for most games, though hopefully it's possible to make the diagonals less sensitive. I get the feeling people expressed concern about being able to do diagonals and the team overcompensated. As it is, the pad is not particularly suited to fighters.

SML

NEANDERTHAL FUCKER,
20 Year Member
I was trying to run the neo stuff through mame4all, which is stupid. (I was also using the wrong rom versions.)

The neo cd emulator *does* work, and well.

Princess-Isabel

Geese's Thug
could you try couple of games from amiga on it?
that'd be great, superfrog, soccer kid, kid chaos to name a few ;)
they're still pretty chuggy on psp, maybe they work better on wiz already.

SML

NEANDERTHAL FUCKER,
20 Year Member
Amiga runs on uae4all, right? I don't know of a wiz port for that at the moment.

For some reason I have a much easier time controlling the neo geo fighters than I do with the cps2. I can pull off all the supers in KOF98 pretty regularly, while I'm having trouble doing a shinku kadouken in Street Fighter Alpha.

I suspect that SNES emulation would be much improved if I could figure out how to increase the cpu clock from 200 (gp2x default).

edit: (Okay, I got the clock to 300, which was the upper limit for gp2x overclocking. Emulation seems better, though I wish I could see it at 533.)

Last edited:

SML

NEANDERTHAL FUCKER,
20 Year Member
Yoshi's Island isn't running for me. (So at the moment less than nominal, I'd say.)

Esper Wizard

New Challenger
I got my Wiz yesterday from the gp2xstore. Here are my first impressions:

It is a little bigger than I expected. I can carry it in my pocket, but with the leather carrying case it feels as bulky as my first iPod.

Even though the surface is glossy, it has a slight texture on it, so it doesn't attract fingerprints much. The red on the console looks metallic, which did not look like that on any of the photos. It's cool, though.

I made a mistake while installing the screen protector, so the bottom of the screen is not covered. Once I start a game I don't notice it, though.

The screen is very bright.

I have seen the diagonal line a few times, but it doesn't bother me that much.

The touchscreen was way off until I calibrated the screen. Now it's way better (still not perfect).

The d-pad doesn't feel as good as the one on my Game Boy Micro. I'm having trouble changing directions in games like Ms Pac-Man.

The buttons are a little too close to each other, but I can get used to it.

I like the fact that I can rotate the "portrait" games like Ms Pac-Man and Burger Time so they take up the entire screen. That alone justifies the purchase of the console. Of course, that makes the controllers harder to use, but who cares.

I cannot judge how easy are the diagonals to perform, because as far as I know, you cannot reconfigure the button configuration in MAME4ALL, and I'm used to the Neo Geo CD controller. So I cannot do the special moves in games like Fatal Fury Special. If anybody knows if the buttons can be reconfigured, please let me know.

Speaking about Neo Geo games, the Wiz does not have enough RAM to load some of my favorite Neo Geo games, like King of Fighters 98 and Last Blade. A shame. You also have to overclock the Wiz so there is no slowdown on Neo Geo games, but that doesn't bother me. At 700 MHz Neo Geo games don't have much slowdown.

Some games have too much detail to be really "viewable" in such a small screen without hurting your eyes. Metal Slug is almost like that. Money Puzzle Exchanger is definitely hard to see in such a small screen. But there is no way in hell I would like a larger screen. This is my first GPH console; one of the main reasons why I never had a GP32 or GP2X was because I thought they were too big.

The strongest feeling I have about the Wiz is that it feels like a PC, not like a console. I stayed until 3 am last night configuring the games in MAME so they ran properly, and I'm not done. Some games like Gradius, Gradius II, Moonwalker, and Mortal Kombat don't run properly or at all, even though the package I got is supposedly complete. But what I lose in plug-and-play I gain in customability. Once I finish tweaking it, I will only have games I like there. I am happy with it and see myself taking it with me for years.

Flavor

Saver,
I got my Wiz yesterday from the gp2xstore. Here are my first impressions:

Thanks Esper. That was a good read. I get what you mean about it feeling like a PC. To be honest, though, this is one thing that attracts me to it. I like tinkering with stuff and feeling like I have ultimate control over it. For sure, that's not how my iPod feels at all. The PSP and DS can feel that way a little (with the help of some hacking), but you're still not going to get a whole new firmware/kernel on them.

Tacitus

Volatile Memory Construct - SN://0467839
Staff member
Glad I waited...

From the reviews, I probably would've been let down. I'm passing until the next hardware revision.

GamePark is now 0 for 3 on initial hardware releases for me now. ;)

ray_7

I'm really considering this.. does this machine still have scanlines as in the older units?

pixeljunkie

20 Year Member

pixeljunkie

20 Year Member
question about the Wiz:

I've noticed most of the vids on youtube show the thing as high-glossy black covered in fingerprints. But it seems some newer vids show it having a better matte finish solving that problem? Was this something changed after the beta? I'm just curious for those that ordered one are your's glossy or matte on the front?