GP2X Wiz: Less than a month away?

StealthLurker

Naomi Yamazaki's Wingman

Twinkle Star

Benimaru's Hairdresser
Oy musta narin dyan sa US kapwa game adik??(sorry or pardon me for using another language here)..

Yeah i wonder if this one's better??..I've actually owned the previous version of it(it was just fine)....My PSP's are kinda worn out already thanks to those SNK fighting games and Idolmaster games i've been playing for hours!!

Another handheld game device would be great..:buttrock:

Last edited:

arfink

Crossed Swords Squire
It looks pretty cool, and having two D pads wouldn't be too bad actually. If it can handle Neo without slowdown as well as PS1 and some other things I'll be pumped. If they have a USB port that can have a keyboard it will be even more awesome, because you could do retro computer emulation. Still, I have a whole bunch of retro computers and a real Neo, and I never go anywhere that would require more portable than my NGPC, so I don't think I'll bother.

Spectre

Banned
Interesting, I had an F200 for a while but got bored of it and sold it. The d-pad looks nicer, but what the hell is with the buttons? It'll probably be ok, but what is the advantage of a second d-pad style instead of four round buttons?

Flavor

Saver,
Um, you can play it upside down? Maybe you can play 2-player across from each other (the long way). Maybe someone will do something interesting with it.

SML

NEANDERTHAL FUCKER,
20 Year Member
I wish there were more news releases... Or some kind of release countdown. I'm starting to wonder if there'll be another delay. Though I realize that this isn't the kind of product that the company depends on making into a "media event" like the PSP and DS had to be.

Flavor

Saver,
I wish there were more news releases... Or some kind of release countdown. I'm starting to wonder if there'll be another delay. Though I realize that this isn't the kind of product that the company depends on making into a "media event" like the PSP and DS had to be.

Yeah, I wish there was more news about it, too. I've been trying to find some and post it on this blog under the tags GP2X Wiz. If you haven't read it, there might be some interesting bits there.

Well, the good news is that I just heard that GPH sent out some test sample Wiz units. This probably means that the hardware is finalized (unless there are some big problems found in the test samples) and they are just getting the packaging, booklets, etc. ready to ship.

TheLizardKing

Crossed Swords Squire
I read the features for this thing on the play-asia site. It says it comes with 12 games "embedded" in it. What are they? Are they games specifically made for it or various emulators for other systems? What about the various emulators like SNES, NES, MAME, CPS2 etc, do you have to put them in yourself or are they already in there when you buy it? I'm assuming this is strictly for emulation and that there will be no "physical" games made for the system like we're familiar with for other systems that you can buy in the store or order online that you actually hold in your hands. I just want to know what exactly this thing will do.

OldSchoolGamer

Living teh 'Murican dream
After viewing some video's on this I wanted to add this question. Does the screen size bother anyone else? The thing resembles the GBA micro which I thought was utter trash. The sceen is just tooooo small. I LOVE the PSP because of the screen size. Its perfect for a handheld and you dont need to squint to read words for games and such. The overall size of the system and screen are 2 things I can honestly say turn me off by it. The GP2X's screen was decent. I think they are going backwards instead of forwards with this little thing.

Am I the only one who feels this way?

**EDIT**

WOOT! my 100th post!

Flavor

Saver,
I read the features for this thing on the play-asia site. It says it comes with 12 games "embedded" in it. What are they? Are they games specifically made for it or various emulators for other systems? What about the various emulators like SNES, NES, MAME, CPS2 etc, do you have to put them in yourself or are they already in there when you buy it? I'm assuming this is strictly for emulation and that there will be no "physical" games made for the system like we're familiar with for other systems that you can buy in the store or order online that you actually hold in your hands. I just want to know what exactly this thing will do.

From what I know, many of the pack-in "embedded" games are games that people made for the GP2X (mostly freely available) that are being updated for the Wiz. In some cases, I think this update is going to be fairly professional. In other cases, I don't expect much. I also think that there will be some professionally made Flash games running on the Wiz, but I don't know if they will be included in the embedded games.

For more on the embedded games check here. http://www.gp2xwiz.co.kr/FrontStore/iMakePage.phtml?iPageId=105

I think there will be lots of emulators on this system.

I also think that they have plans for actual commercial games. I don't know if they will be "physical" games or released on some sort of downoadable app store.

I did a post about some of the upcoming commercial games for the Wiz. It's here.

TheLizardKing

Crossed Swords Squire
From what I know, many of the pack-in "embedded" games are games that people made for the GP2X (mostly freely available) that are being updated for the Wiz. In some cases, I think this update is going to be fairly professional. In other cases, I don't expect much. I also think that there will be some professionally made Flash games running on the Wiz, but I don't know if they will be included in the embedded games.

For more on the embedded games check here. http://www.gp2xwiz.co.kr/FrontStore/iMakePage.phtml?iPageId=105

I think there will be lots of emulators on this system.

I also think that they have plans for actual commercial games. I don't know if they will be "physical" games or released on some sort of downoadable app store.

I did a post about some of the upcoming commercial games for the Wiz. It's here.

Thanks, I checked out both links. Could be a promising console. I guess it's a given that you won't find these in retail stores (ebgames, target, walmart etc) and will have to order it online on sites like play-asia. I really hope this gets consumer support so it won't just die away like a lot of systems in the past that wasn't able to break into the "mainstream" market.

SML

NEANDERTHAL FUCKER,
20 Year Member
Wow, I hope Sidemind (or is that "Side Mind?") lives up to the cover.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
i LOVE the packaging, but someone tell me how this is superior to the PSP and DS?

SML

NEANDERTHAL FUCKER,
20 Year Member
Easier to develop for; uses SDHC for media (more storage, cheaper); the screen is supposed to be better.

But they'll never be as strong for 3d or have better PSX support than the PSP.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Easier to develop for; uses SDHC for media (more storage, cheaper); the screen is supposed to be better.

But they'll never be as strong for 3d or have better PSX support than the PSP.

so nothing really....
i guess you can hold more romz than a sony memstick.
I hate to be such a negative nancy, but the sad truth seems to be the psp has this beat. It's hard to find too many faults with the psp screen, even in its current state.

Flavor

Saver,
I think we've gone over this already in this thread (and I assume it'll happen again here or elsewhere).

If you have a PSP or a DS (or whatever) that you're really into, I doubt that the Wiz will excite you.

If you're into open/interesting/new/non-mainstream handhelds, then I think the Wiz would excite you.

If you want to play Giana's Return, then I suggest Wiz.

Spectre

Banned
It's "better" than a big name handheld for emulation. Because it is specifically built with emulation in mind. No firmware hackery and other bollocks, just dump teh romz on your sd card and fire it up more or less.

Mrandersonjr

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
I already preordered one a long long time ago..then I heard they were having problems and it wouldn't be available. Then this is the next piece of news i've heard.I guess i'll finally get mine.

Flavor

Saver,
Hey guys. I just wanted to let you know that I just received a GP2X Wiz pre-release test unit. I made a super-quick post about it here.

GP2X Wiz Has Arrived

If you have any questions or comments about it, please comment on that post. Of course, I will read stuff here also, but it would be very good for me if I had them on that post. Then, I will try to address and respond to questions in an upcoming post there.

So, that post is my "just arrived" post. After I get a bit of time and some questions, I will do an "initial impressions" post and ultimately I plan to post a proper review. Let me know if there's anything you'd like to see covered/mentioned/addressed.

NeoGML

Fighting Artist
I actually preordered mine a long time ago too...

play-asia just emailed me saying the shit is now delayed till may 2009...

i'm hoping it's may 1st..:confused:

SML

NEANDERTHAL FUCKER,
20 Year Member
Most people are figuring a first week of May (supplier to distributor) release at this point.

Flavor

Saver,
Hey guys. Just FYI, if you're interested in the Wiz, I've been writing up a bunch of articles about it lately. You can find them under the GP2X Wiz tags over at the PARz blog.