GP2X Wiz: Less than a month away?

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member
Legend of Sword is out, Play Asia selling it now. Already ordered mine. Loving Deicide 3 so far. Sadly the Toaplan games won't let you change any config settings, pretty disappointed there, but whatever.

Propis is fun but gets silly-hard.

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
If it were all Korean, there probably wouldn't be much of overseas interest.

Gotenks326

Chin's Bartender
Again, I'll believe it when I see it. I hope they do well enough to do a second run because the support is going to be tough with only 1000 or so units out there.
I'd hate to jinx it, but it actually does seem like assembly will be starting soon (all the final parts to make ~1000 units have arrived in UK; Craig likes the quality of the case and has assembled a unit without trouble; and MWeston's plane should land in the UK in a few hours and he can then begin helping Craig assembling & shipping them out). The first batch is actually 4000, not 1000; the limiting parts are the PCBs and cases for the remaining 3000 (but if all goes to plan, they should trickle in while the others are being made, so their absence shouldn't cause a delay; of course, something could not go to plan...I'm just glad I'm in the first 1000 :) ).

So yeah, first batch is 4000, and it was confirmed a long time ago that they plan on doing a second batch as well (of also 4000?).

I'm also in a camp similar to "I'll believe it when I see it," but it is hard to say much can go wrong at this point.

Gotenks326

Chin's Bartender
I'd hate to jinx it, but it actually does seem like assembly will be starting soon (all the final parts to make ~1000 units have arrived in UK; Craig likes the quality of the case and has assembled a unit without trouble; and MWeston's plane should land in the UK in a few hours and he can then begin helping Craig assembling & shipping them out). The first batch is actually 4000, not 1000; the limiting parts are the PCBs and cases for the remaining 3000 (but if all goes to plan, they should trickle in while the others are being made, so their absence shouldn't cause a delay; of course, something could not go to plan...I'm just glad I'm in the first 1000 :) ).

So yeah, first batch is 4000, and it was confirmed a long time ago that they plan on doing a second batch as well (of also 4000?).

I'm also in a camp similar to "I'll believe it when I see it," but it is hard to say much can go wrong at this point.
Haha, I guess officially I believe now. People started getting tracking numbers and shipping confirmations today, and I got mine this morning :buttrock:

SML

NEANDERTHAL FUCKER,
20 Year Member
Aaaaand now the wiz is being replaced by the canoo.

migo

n00b
It's not even that. WiFi is via dongle of some sort. It's more a Wiz with LCD vs OLED display (no screen tearing, but not so good for sunlight), different action buttons and an analog stick instead of D-Pad. Seems GPH can't make up their minds which way they want to go (probably thanks to conflicting feedback from the guys at gp32x, complaining about both the F-100 stick and the F-200 D-pad).

pixeljunkie

20 Year Member
It's not even that. WiFi is via dongle of some sort. It's more a Wiz with LCD vs OLED display (no screen tearing, but not so good for sunlight), different action buttons and an analog stick instead of D-Pad. Seems GPH can't make up their minds which way they want to go (probably thanks to conflicting feedback from the guys at gp32x, complaining about both the F-100 stick and the F-200 D-pad).

yeah, i saw that :conf: After reading up on the exacts its all very confusing why this thing was ever made.

migo

n00b
It's not all that confusing, it seems one of their most supportive communities is also strangely the most critical of them. They want something for their own purposes, and then trash GPH anytime they do anything that remotely deviates from what they want. No built in WiFi is pretty odd these days, but I'd say that's less important than their indecision towards analog stick and D-Pad, and would wager a guess that they really want to go with the analog stick and keep going to the D-Pad because guys like craig keep bitching at them.

pixeljunkie

20 Year Member
It's not all that confusing, it seems one of their most supportive communities is also strangely the most critical of them. They want something for their own purposes, and then trash GPH anytime they do anything that remotely deviates from what they want. No built in WiFi is pretty odd these days, but I'd say that's less important than their indecision towards analog stick and D-Pad, and would wager a guess that they really want to go with the analog stick and keep going to the D-Pad because guys like craig keep bitching at them.

well, thats annoying. I don't frequent those boards. Mainly because they NEVER talk about the games, only nit-picking hardware and firmwares.

D-Pad > Analog stick though

migo

n00b
They're all about emulation, almost nothing for homebrew, so not much to discuss with games I guess. I'd agree a D-pad is better for most games given that since the NES the vast majority of consoles have used them, but I just can't see the point in getting a system dedicated for emulation when you can get a PSP with a perfectly good D-Pad that handles emulation as well as native games. I'd also like to see if there are some good games made for the Canoo that make use of the analog stick. Hell, it might turn out to be a suitable system for fighting games.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I just can't see the point in getting a system dedicated for emulation when you can get a PSP with a perfectly good D-Pad that handles emulation as well as native games

My experience with PSP emulators leaves a bad taste in my mouth, especially SNES emulation. It's good, but not great and there don't seem to be a lot of developers still interested in fixing the bugs since they have moved to other platforms now. The Wiz's emulators have some of the same issues, but with the faster processor and overclocking it can power though some inefficient coding.

I do love Picodrive though, it is fantastic.

migo

n00b
I'd rather have good SNES emulation on the go and some games I can't otherwise get, than great SNES emulation which gets redundant with being able to run Snes9x or play on my actual SNES at home. Wiz has screen tearing, not something I'm keen on, and no emulator is ever going to handle Star Fox, Super Mario Kart or Yoshi's Island properly anyway, so you'll be compromising as is.

I guess some people really want their perfect emulation, and the Pandora will probably deliver for that (for the few people who have it), but I'd always think it makes more sense to compromise and get some new games while you're at it.

vgg

Quiz Detective
I can't wait for a proper GP2x system. That being said, once Nintendo get their act together and offer a true VC experience on the 3DS, with reasonable prices ($5 for a NES game, crazy) I will buy enough to get miyamoto a new hybrid car.