GP2X Wiz: Less than a month away?

Flavor

Saver,
So, it seems that the GP2X Wiz may be less than a month from release, so I've started blogging about the Wiz over here.

There doesn't seem to be very much news about the Wiz, so it makes me curious if anyone is interested in it. If not, is it because you don't know about it or is it because the Pandora is getting all the hype or what? I guess I see the Wiz and the Pandora as different things, but many people seem to be comparing them.

Anyway, I'm wondering if anyone has any thoughts or opinions, even if they're just like, "I never even heard of the thing before."

Tacitus

Volatile Memory Construct - SN://0467839
Staff member
like the last few iterations, I'll reserve judgement, they've all been good and bad in their own special way.

I hated the GP32, it was a great idea, but nothing was remotely playable. The shoulder buttons sucked.

GP2x was awesome, but the storage on cards sucked, especially for Neo Emulation (my primary motivation for ownership, this was before/during the PSP launch) The screen was good, but not fantastic. It did it's job well, but it's still an emulation machine with so-so community content.

The Wiz looks great, but once again, the content will be emu and dev stuff. I know they're pushing hard on original content, but there are only so many mainstream ripoffs you can get before it gets old.

I hope it rules, I'll pick one up shortly, but alas, I'll probably sell them through this forum like the last few I've owned. ;)

Flavor

Saver,
I hated the GP32, it was a great idea, but nothing was remotely playable. The shoulder buttons sucked.
I liked the GP32, but mostly because it was the first handheld of its sort. I like doing the homebrew development thing, and it was fun to work on at the time. Yeah, the hardware wasn't great, though. I had a non-lit unit, and it wasn't great.

GP2x was awesome, but the storage on cards sucked, especially for Neo Emulation (my primary motivation for ownership, this was before/during the PSP launch) The screen was good, but not fantastic. It did it's job well, but it's still an emulation machine with so-so community content.
What do you mean the storage on cards? It just used SD cards. Do you mean because it didn't support SDHC?

The Wiz looks great, but once again, the content will be emu and dev stuff. I know they're pushing hard on original content, but there are only so many mainstream ripoffs you can get before it gets old.
Yeah, I suppose it will mainly be about the emulators, but I think it will be better than the GP2X, so I'm looking forward to it. I have heard that GPH is really pushing for Flash based content, so maybe we can expect some interesting Flash games on there. I'm trying to find out some specifics on that. If it works out, though, there will be more "original" games to play.

dark penguin

Mai's Tabloid Photographer

I don't remember if the original GP2X took SDHC, but my F200 definitely does. I have an 8gig in there right now. That's plenty of room for ROMs.

My main complaint about it is some hardware issues. The batteries being a big thing...even with 2700mah rechargeables, it never felt like enough playing time.

The Wiz looks interesting...especially since they seem to have modeled it after a GB Micro, to some extent. I'm going to wait a bit on this one and see how it turns out.

Snooptalian

Hairdresser, ,
According to insiders over at the gp32x forums the Wiz has been delayed again until April sometime. Sucks as I was just about to order one from Play-Asia. Guess I still should anyway so I'll have one whenever it does get released... For more info got www.gp32x.com and check the Wiz forums for the delay threads...

Flavor

Saver,
According to insiders over at the gp32x forums the Wiz has been delayed again until April sometime. Sucks as I was just about to order one from Play-Asia. Guess I still should anyway so I'll have one whenever it does get released... For more info got www.gp32x.com and check the Wiz forums for the delay threads...

Yeah, I think you're right. I was going to post about that today, but I was waiting for some more info. It does suck, but it's better than a buggy release.

Lashujin

Ghost of Captain Kidd
So basically an emulator machine like that last one? Can it run 64 games?

Flavor

Saver,
Well, at launch, expect it to run anything that the GP2X ran. After it's out in the wild (and in the hands of developers) a bit more, then we'll see what it can really do.

Also, I think they're going to try for more official games and Flash games this time. I'm hoping to find out more about that soon.

Chainclaw

Geese's Thug
You want questions, here is one. What do these offer that a PSP with custom firmware, or a DS Lite with a flash card can't handle? Especially when it cost way more than either platform.

Orpheus

One Nut,
20 Year Member
Is this a joke?
How the hell are you supposed to play games on that thing?
You can' t even call those controls.
2 D-pads & no real action buttons?

Flavor

Saver,
You want questions, here is one. What do these offer that a PSP with custom firmware, or a DS Lite with a flash card can't handle? Especially when it cost way more than either platform.

I'm not saying that it is better than either for everything, especially original game library. Here are some obvious differences, though.

Compared to the PSP, it's smaller and it has a touch screen. Compared to the DS, it has a much faster CPU. These are pretty nice for a system aimed at open-source and homebrew. The big thing, though, you already mentioned. GPH is friendly to independent developers, whereas Sony and Nintendo aren't (as seen by the necessity for CFW or Flash cart).

Is this a joke?
How the hell are you supposed to play games on that thing?
You can' t even call those controls.
2 D-pads & no real action buttons?

If you look closely, the one on the right side isn't a D-Pad. It's 4 separate buttons that are configured to double as a second D-Pad. Lots of people seem skeptical of that layout, but I think the guys with prototypes seem to think it works fine. I'm sure we'll hear more about that when more people are playing games on 'em.

Chainclaw

Geese's Thug
I guess I still don't quite understand. A flash card for the DS is dirt cheap and easy to use, and getting custom firmware for the PSP is pretty easy, as well (compared to finding, ordering, and using one of these other handhelds). One of the complaints about the game park devices is the lack of original homebrew software, and the DS and PSP have quite a few original things available, like that painting toy on the DS, or the various shmups on the PSP.

If these things were half the price, I would totally be on board.

I'm not intentionally bashing this thing, I'm just trying to figure out why people get excited for the various game park handhelds.

Princess-Isabel

Geese's Thug
I guess I still don't quite understand. A flash card for the DS is dirt cheap and easy to use, and getting custom firmware for the PSP is pretty easy, as well (compared to finding, ordering, and using one of these other handhelds). One of the complaints about the game park devices is the lack of original homebrew software, and the DS and PSP have quite a few original things available, like that painting toy on the DS, or the various shmups on the PSP.

If these things were half the price, I would totally be on board.

I'm not intentionally bashing this thing, I'm just trying to figure out why people get excited for the various game park handhelds.

because its specs are way better, therefore expect to run games at better speed than psp.
this is going to be a one powerful handheld(I hope that amiga finally becomes butter smooth playable).

Clessy

Banned
The gp32 is the best this company was ever gonna do. Its lost all comerical support it was ever gonne see. A system for HB only sucks. It needed comcerical games too and its lost that ever since 32.

Princess-Isabel

Geese's Thug
The gp32 is the best this company was ever gonna do. Its lost all comerical support it was ever gonne see. A system for HB only sucks. It needed comcerical games too and its lost that ever since 32.

there are plenty of people just homebrewing on their psp or gp2x because that's all they ever wanted, so there is definitely market for such product to exist.

Flavor

Saver,

I would say that "sucks" sounds a lot like opinion. If it needed commercial games, why is the company still around, and where did they get the money to develop their next-gen handheld?

As Isabel mentioned, there is a market for such things. In fact, I bet there's a market for lots of things that you consider to be sucky.

Clessy

Banned
Its just kinda a pointless place to market to now with the PSP having tons of emulation support and a comerical side too.

rugal2000

, Troll Me, , Cuz I is 3lit3, ,
So this wiz is like just another new version of the gp2x.
Id like to know if the fighting games are actually playable now since all its previous incarnations have had an unplayable d pad.

Flavor

Saver,
So this wiz is like just another new version of the gp2x.
Id like to know if the fighting games are actually playable now since all its previous incarnations have had an unplayable d pad.

Well, I hope to give more of a review when I actually have one in my hands.

I do know this, though... Don't expect it to be as nice as the NGPC stick.

Esper Wizard

New Challenger
I'm really looking forward to the Wiz. I like the size, the screen, and the control layout. It's similar to the Game Boy Micro, which I love (take into account I have only seen screenshots and movies; I have never seen one on real life). I preordered mine just a few days before it was delayed until April.

SML

NEANDERTHAL FUCKER,
20 Year Member
I'll pick one up on launch if I'm employed.

Edit: *Pssst,* before I do something stupid, what kind of adapter will I need?

Edit again: *Pssst,* I see that there's a USB cable for charging, n/m.

Last edited:

Cornerb0y

Krauser's Henchman
I've had my GP2x for almost a year now. I played it quite a bit. Even more so when I got a sega cd emulator and was able to play snatcher where ever I wanted to go. My only complaint with it was some of the games ran a little too slow for my taste. I thought about getting the wiz but I don't know yet.

Last edited:

Flavor

Saver,
The Wiz should be a fair bit faster, so that should help your speed issues. Of course, this assumes that authors recompile their games for the Wiz. I hear it's fairly simple and straight-forward, but it still takes doing.

SML

NEANDERTHAL FUCKER,
20 Year Member
Aw, hell. Just pre-ordered. Hope it's not garbage!