Killzone 2

hanafuda

Dr. Brown's Time Machine Mechanic
No JPN release date yet that I know of, but as soon as it's out, I'm there.

genjiglove

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
Me too.

Theres a new review of the game up at IGN.

From what I understand the multiplayer takes a lot of influence from Team Fortress 2, sounds very interesting to me. If they let you choose if you want to be Helghast for regular human soldier, I wonder if anyone will choose humans. The Helghast just look too tough.

I believe I already have you on my PSN list hanafuda so we will be playing this one.

SPINMASTER X

I AM NOT FRENCHMAN,, I AM A HUMAN BEING!,
20 Year Member
This game will be mine. Fuck Humans. Helghast all the way.

Ghost-Dog

Presented by the Florida Department of Economic Op
20 Year Member
I regret not spending more time with the multiplayer beta.

I will be all over this next month though. :upf:

hanafuda

April 23rd for Japan.

I guess I'll give you guys a head start...

Ghost-Dog

20 Year Member
April 23rd for Japan.

I guess I'll give you guys a head start...

The game will be region free like all PS3 games, correct?

Not interested in importing?

Reality Check

World Hero
I'm surprised on how good Killzone 2 is shaping up to be. Seeing how much the first game sucked balls I didn't expect for Killzone 2 to be any better. I'm so glad to be proven wrong.

hanafuda

The game will be region free like all PS3 games, correct?

Not interested in importing?

It's an option but it's a hassle to get rid of imported games and any DLC can be problematic too.

Ghost-Dog

20 Year Member
Just a few weeks to go. :drool:

20090204.jpg

genjiglove

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
We should get a n-g.com clan going when the game comes out. I just need to get a headset.

Ghost-Dog

20 Year Member
We should get a n-g.com clan going when the game comes out. I just need to get a headset.

Word, I thought about doing this with Resistance 2.

Any USB headset should work, as will most Bluetooth. I still have yet to find a headset that I really love, even the official $50 BT model from Sony feels like it's fucking my ear canal.

genjiglove

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
Word, I thought about doing this with Resistance 2.

Any USB headset should work, as will most Bluetooth. I still have yet to find a headset that I really love, even the official $50 BT model from Sony feels like it's fucking my ear canal.

Yeah I thought about getting the official BT headset but I noticed the ear piece fits into your ear hole, I don't really like that.

SPINMASTER X

I AM NOT FRENCHMAN,, I AM A HUMAN BEING!,
20 Year Member

I always thought clans were dorky but I'd join a ng.com clan in a heartbeat since this is the only forum I give a damn about. So I guess I'm a dork now.

BigTinz

VT's Bitch , You can fuck this mouth for a fruit c
Wait wat!?

When did this game come out!?

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
Wait wat!?

When did this game come out!?

Not until February 27, don't get your shorts in a bunch. Fridays are the new, um, whateverday, which Gameinformer is blaming on Gears 2.

hanafuda

I'm up for the clan thing.

I got the official headset recently too with SOCOM.

I thought the speaker part sits on top of your ear canal, or am I wearing it incorrectly? Anyway, I like it way more than the Jabra one that came with Warhawk.

Ghost-Dog

20 Year Member
I'm up for the clan thing.

I got the official headset recently too with SOCOM.

I thought the speaker part sits on top of your ear canal, or am I wearing it incorrectly? Anyway, I like it way more than the Jabra one that came with Warhawk.

That's the one I've been using. I can't hear shit if I don't insert it into the ear canal a little, but then it hurts like hell after 20-30 minutes. The quest for the perfect headset continues..

hanafuda

That's the one I've been using. I can't hear shit if I don't insert it into the ear canal a little, but then it hurts like hell after 20-30 minutes. The quest for the perfect headset continues..

It does seem quieter than my other one.

Have you tried removing the rubber ring thing?

Ghost-Dog

20 Year Member
It does seem quieter than my other one.

Have you tried removing the rubber ring thing?

Yes, and I've tried using both rings. I think I just have a strangely shaped ear canal or something.

My absolute favorite headset has always been the old Logitech USB model that the original Socom came with. It just covered the one ear, had a mute button and volume control inline, and sounded great. They still sell a similar model these days, but they removed the fucking mute button from it. What's the point in that?

Ghost-Dog

20 Year Member
You need a Euro account to download it, correct?

genjiglove

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
You need a Euro account to download it, correct?

Yeah. The only way to get it in the U.S. is with the code you get from preordering at Gamestop. I did that and downloaded today, I will update with some impressions later tonight.

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
you could just make a euro account too.

hanafuda

No JPN version today and I'm making a Euro account.

genjiglove

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
Ok, just some short impressions of the game:

I probably don't need to say anything about the graphics, its a very impressive looking game. But the weapon models in particular stand out to me, very slick looking. I especially like the main assault rifle that you start with. Reload animations are smooth and pretty cool looking.

When I first started, I immediately felt the need to up the control sensitivity. This is definitely not a twitch shooter, I'd put it somewhere between Call of Duty and Halo in terms of "weight", if you take my meaning. The controls almost feel floaty, but not exactly in a bad way either. Hard to explain. It'll take some getting used to no doubt.

One thing that I enjoyed was the cover system. Its kind of like Gears, in a way. You hold L2 (in the standard control method) and you character will take cover behind whatever is in front of you. You can then use the left stick to peek around or above whatever you are hiding behind and take shots at your enemy. It works a lot better than you might expect, although I wish there was an option to simply tap L2 to take cover and tap again to release from cover. Instead you must hold L2 constantly, which can be kind of difficult. Again, it'll take some getting used to.

But this does lead me to one thing I do not like about the controls. You have the option to shoot down the sight of the gun a la Call of Duty, the button to do so is either mapped to L1 or by clicking the right stick. Unfortunately you pretty much have to use R3 because holding down L2 to take cover then using L1 to aim at the same time requires some serious finger dexterity. I suspect the L1 aiming option is there purely for multiplayer since the cover mechanic is apparently not in place in that mode. This might not be a problem for most people but I personally hate clicking R3 to aim like you had to in the first Resistance. Your mileage may vary however. You aren't required to aim down the sight constantly like you do in CoD, I could usually get away with firing from the hip unless the enemy was just too far away.

That said, there are about six control options so I'm sure anyone can find something they like. I don't think it allows you to completely remap the controls though.

As for the demo itself, its actually pretty short. Probably like 20-30 minutes at most. But you do get plenty of opportunity to kill some Helghast. The only weapons I saw my first time through were the assault rifle that you start with, the Helghast rifle and a rocket launcher. I thought I heard a Helghast come into a room firing what sounded like a shotgun but I forgot to go look for it.

Enemy AI seems smart enough, they'll attempt to flank you and use grenades somewhat intelligently. They can also take a good amount of punishment before going down but not so much that its completely ridiculous.

So I guess I would say that I like the game based on the demo. Control may be an issue for some people to be honest, but give it time and I think it'll become second nature. The cover system really does work and adds a good layer of depth to the game. So yeah, get a Euro PSN account and download this demo. If anyone wants to know anything more specific just let me know.