The Official Bootleg Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

mmsadda

Just buy my shit. Seriously. You can call me Susan
10 Year Member
**This thread is NOT about bootlegs of games that got an official release**

I've noticed there are a handful of bootleg games available for the MVS now, such as Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon 2003, King of Fighters 2004/10th Anniversary, and various Super-Extra-Plus-Mega-Extended versions of King of Fighters 2003, as well as bootlegs of prototypes, such as Ghostlop and Pair Pair Wars.

So, my question to you, members of NG.com, is this: What bootlegs have you played? What did you think?

If you played someone else's cart, whose cart was it? If you own the game, how much did you have to give for it? and where did you get it?

p.s. I sincerely hope this thread doesn't get political, as many threads involving bootlegging get; I'm hoping to create some discussion about games that many of us won't get a chance to play, just so we can have some idea of what these games are like.

List of HACKS
Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon 2003 (based on KoF2001)
King of Fighters 10th Anniversary
King of Fighters 2003 Plus
King of Fighters 2004 Special Edition (Plus)
Lansquenet (based on Shock Troopers 2nd Squad)
Metal Slug 6 (based on MS3 or 5)
SVC Chaos +

List of PROTOTYPES *Prototype games with a '*' are known to be obtainable
Dance RhythMIX
Diggerman
Dunk Star (*?)
Eye of Typhoon
Fun Fun Bros.
Ghostlop*
Hebereke's Pair Pair Wars
Ironclad
Karate Ninja Sho
Kizuna Encounter 4-way Battle version
Mystic Wand
Pinball Fantasia: Lost Odyssey
Q.P.
Sun Shine
War of the Fates
Zintrick

[For a very complete list of MVS titles, visit system16.com They have screenshots of many of the prototypes, and a couple hacks]

Last edited:

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member
maybe rename thread to "hacks" rather than just bootlegs.

discgolfer72

Crossed Swords Squire
i have a bunch of the kof and other fighting games (+ ,super,ect) games on my 100 in 1 cart and they are ok! kinda fun to play with freinds that suck due to the fact that you always have super charged up other than that about the only diffrence is the unavail fighters(bosses) are able to be picked

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
How about "unofficial games/releases"?

I recently added Diggerman to my collection. It sucks, and I only got it because I'm out of games to buy for the Neo, but it was still pretty amusing for two players. I was expecting nothing. The music is all stolen from Gururin. Deaths are too random, come too easily, and screw the whole level over, making you start from the beginning. It gets too hard too quickly.

Last edited:

mmsadda

10 Year Member
maybe rename thread to "hacks" rather than just bootlegs.

Not a bad idea. I don't believe I can now, though. If a mod/admin wants to do this, I'm all for it!

mmsadda

10 Year Member
How about "unofficial games/releases"?

I recently added Diggerman to my collection. It sucks, and I only got it because I'm out of games to buy for the Neo, but it was still pretty amusing for two players. I was expecting nothing. The music is all stolen from Gururin. Deaths are too random, come too easily, and screw the whole level over, making you start from the beginning. It gets too hard too quickly.

That'd work, too.
Where'd you happen to get your hands on Diggerman? and how much did you have to give for it?

mmsadda

10 Year Member
i have a bunch of the kof and other fighting games (+ ,super,ect) games on my 100 in 1 cart and they are ok! kinda fun to play with freinds that suck due to the fact that you always have super charged up other than that about the only diffrence is the unavail fighters(bosses) are able to be picked

Ah... sounds kinda weird. I might have to pick up one of the KoF 10th Anniversary or Plus hacks... assuming CTHD doesn't do it for me. :p

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
That's the real problem with the 100-in-1 cart, it has originals too. I'm sure half the people with a problem with the 100 cart wouldn't if it was all Plus, Unique, Magic, Turbo,etc. I would be happier, myself.

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
Another Idea! Add a list of known hacks, unofficial release, bootleg, project or home brew like
CTHD

Metal Slug 5 is, isint it?

mmsadda

10 Year Member
Another Idea! Add a list of known hacks, unofficial release, bootleg, project or home brew like
CTHD

Metal Slug 5 is, isint it?

Nope, Metal Slug 5 is an official release.

Adderall

Leona's Therapist
I have Ghostlop. It's pretty fun. Bought it off ebay a year or 2 ago. I think there are only a few people around here that make em. As a collector, I'd like to get more of these prototypes... even if they are made from other MVS carts.

mmsadda

10 Year Member
I have Ghostlop. It's pretty fun. Bought it off ebay a year or 2 ago. I think there are only a few people around here that make em. As a collector, I'd like to get more of these prototypes... even if they are made from other MVS carts.

I'm in the same boat, as far as wanting to play these games. And let's face is, so long as the only carts sacrificed are old AoFs, SamShos, and Fatal Furys, no one's really gonna miss 'em.

BTW, if anyone here makes Ghostlops for a reasonable price, let me know!

Neo Alec

20 Year Member
That'd work, too.
Where'd you happen to get your hands on Diggerman? and how much did you have to give for it?
From a member here, and paid more than I probably should have, but all the same it was reasonable. I just didn't feel like making one myself and risking some of the soldering mishaps I usually run into.

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
List of HACKS
Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon 2003 (based on KoF2001)
King of Fighters 10th Anniversary
King of Fighters 2003 Plus
King of Fighters 2004 Special Edition (Plus)

List of PROTOTYPES *Prototype games with a '*' are known to be obtainable
Dance RhythMIX
Diggerman
Dunk Star (*?)
Eye of Typhoon
Fun Fun Bros.
Ghostlop*
Hebereke's Pair Pair Wars
Ironclad
Karate Ninja Sho
Kizuna Encounter 4-way Battle version
Mystic Wand
Pinball Fantasia: Lost Odyssey
Q.P.
Sun Shine
War of the Fates
Zintrick

[thanks to system16.com for compiling a very complete list of MVS titles; they are the reason many of the prototype games are listed here]

Thanks for the list!

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member
Isn't there a MVS Metal Slug 6 hack (hacked 5 in to 6)?

it's a hack of MS3 and [as all hacks are] is pure shit.

Only hack worth a damn I've ever come across is SVC Chaos + and that hack of Shock Troopers 2 with the slowdown fixed. Lansquenet or whatever it's called. But 99% of them are a waste of time.

loegan43

I've served my time in the Dark Army., Have you?,
15 Year Member
I have: Ghostlop, Diggerman, CTHD and KOF 10th. I got Ghostlop and Diggerman from members here. Ghostlop from werejag, I think he still makes them and Diggerman from Pas. I got both at reasonable prices.

I got CTHD and KOF 10th from ECL.

Ghostlop is great, a lot of fun and very addicting. Kind of like arkanoid meets puzzle bobble. Diggerman is hard as hell and not a lot of fun, I got it just for the collector side of me. CTHD and KOF 10th are alright, but nothing beats playing KOF 98.

I'd like to pick up the others just to have them, but I'd rather focus on picking up legit carts first.

I've played the Metal Slug 6 hack and Lansquenet, a buddy of mine brought them over. Didn't really care much for them.

mmsadda

10 Year Member
Wow, I'm glad to see this thread growing, and not becoming a huge debate. :)
Chewy, Koopa, Junkie- thanks for the info!
Loegan- Thanks for filling us in on how some of thsoe play

I'm starting to wonder why Ghostlop never got released; it seems like one of the more popular games. Heck, some guys even put it in their top 5 MVS games in another thread I started.

Neo Alec

20 Year Member
I'm starting to wonder why Ghostlop never got released; it seems like one of the more popular games. Heck, some guys even put it in their top 5 MVS games in another thread I started.
It was a matter of business politics and lack of financing, not really the quality of the game itself.

can anyone hack/make the king of fighters 2002 unlimited on to a mvs cart? I would pay top dollar for it

Spazmonkey

Another Striker
That's not how it works, you can't just poof games onto a cart. It's not even the same anything, there's no compatibility whatsoever. Just a put a ps2 in a cab or something.

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
Ghostlop is great, a lot of fun and very addicting. Kind of like arkanoid meets puzzle bobble.

Just got Ghostlop today...It is a lot of fun, highly recommended. I paid around $112 shipped, came from France.

ratson

Hyperactive Stoner
15 Year Member
As a collector, I'd like to get more of these prototypes... even if they are made from other MVS carts.

:oh_no:,no original game should be destroyed to make a prototype.If they start doin that all we have left in the end is fuckin prototypes/bootlegs.Go build yourself a mamecab or use an emulator,so the original carts are kept around and all you fuckin proto bootleg lovers can play any game you want without destroying the originals.So for the last time:IF YOU HAVE TO DESTROY A GAME TO MAKE ANOTHER IT'S NOT WORTH IT AND CONSIDERED BLASPHEMY
(sorry guys but this thread was way to friendly for this kind of subject,i do mean what i say though)

ratson

Hyperactive Stoner
15 Year Member
Everyone who supports destroying games to make other games should be banned:D

@mmsada:speak for yourself that no one is gonna miss those,if you don't care about originality why the fuck did you come here in the firstplace.Download a full neo romset from some torrent site buy a X-arcadestick and get the fuck out of here you fuckin loser and this goes for all who agree with you.Imean i wouldn't miss tss but that's no reason to destroy it and make another game with it,cause there will be people who do like this game.

Status
Not open for further replies.