Results 1 to 16 of 16

Thread: Gunbird 2 Sound Issues

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Geese's Thug
    Kickin' Wing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Scramble Station

    Posts
    279

    Gunbird 2 Sound Issues

    Just picked up a Gunbird 2 pcb and am getting a lot of feedback out of my speakers. It very noticeably comes on when I start the cab and stays on after that.

    I've tried it in 2 cabs and have the same problem on both. :edit: Turning the sound all the way down the PCB gets rid of it, but turning it up slightly the feedback resumes.

    Not sure if this is at all helpful, but here's a crappy recording I made with my digicam, the *clunk* sound is me turning on the cab:

    http://s130.photobucket.com/albums/p...t=MVI_0001.flv

    Any help would be appreciated.

    -wiNg+thanks
    Last edited by Kickin' Wing; 01-20-2009 at 07:13 PM.

  2. #2
    Super Sidekicks
    Marshall's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    .

    Posts
    54
    Well, it's very hard to identify why this feedback is on, just from your recording.
    Could be just oxidation of volume or some dusts causing electrical resistance on PCB, slow puncuture of ceramic capacitor on sound circuit or some part of legs of capacitor there being bent and disattached, having faliure contacting the circuit, bad electrical resistor or bad amplifier, bad sound chip. You'll never know only from that recording.

    Upload some pics in closeups of sound circuit from upside and backside(of PCB) for more info. Someone might notice something.

    Try to clean whole PCB once again by air carefully and remove all dust as you can, and see how it goes.

  3. #3
    Geese's Thug
    Kickin' Wing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Scramble Station

    Posts
    279
    Quote Originally Posted by Marshall View Post
    Well, it's very hard to identify why this feedback is on, just from your recording.
    Could be just oxidation of volume or some dusts causing electrical resistance on PCB, slow puncuture of ceramic capacitor on sound circuit or some part of legs of capacitor there being bent and disattached, having faliure contacting the circuit, bad electrical resistor or bad amplifier, bad sound chip. You'll never know only from that recording.

    Upload some pics in closeups of sound circuit from upside and backside(of PCB) for more info. Someone might notice something.

    Try to clean whole PCB once again by air carefully and remove all dust as you can, and see how it goes.
    Took some pics of the PCB, noticed some "goo" around a few parts near the edge so I circled those with my mad photoshop skillz. Not sure if they're causing any trouble but some of it is going over traces.






    I'll take some air to it tomorrow and try playing around again.

    -|wiNg

  4. #4
    Mr Neo Fix-it channelmaniac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Dallas, Texas Metromess

    Posts
    4,235
    That's rosin flux, left over from soldering.

    If you tap the sound chip (Yamaha) or the big chip that feeds it do you get changes in the noise? Maybe one of the chips needs reflowing.

    This is where it would help to have a couple of pieces of test gear, notably an audio probe and an oscilloscope.

    RJ

  5. #5
    Geese's Thug
    Kickin' Wing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Scramble Station

    Posts
    279
    Quote Originally Posted by channelmaniac View Post
    That's rosin flux, left over from soldering.

    If you tap the sound chip (Yamaha) or the big chip that feeds it do you get changes in the noise? Maybe one of the chips needs reflowing.

    This is where it would help to have a couple of pieces of test gear, notably an audio probe and an oscilloscope.

    RJ
    Mr. CM,

    Threw it in again and tapped the chips, didn't seem to have any affect. Not quite sure what the problem is, may have to end up sending it out.

    Thanks for the help,
    -|wiNg

  6. #6
    Choi's Barber
    Hewitson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia

    Posts
    2,207
    An audio probe really is essential for problems like these. I suggest making one.

  7. #7
    Over Top Auto Mechanic
    egg_sanwich's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Vancouver, Canada

    Posts
    1,015
    Iíll chime in to say my Gunbird 2 has the exact same issue.

    In my experience, my Psikyo pcbs have been some of the most troublesome, constantly developing issues. Anyone else feel the same?

  8. #8
    Akari's Big Brother
    kuze's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    In the year 2248

    Posts
    2,503
    Quote Originally Posted by egg_sanwich View Post
    I’ll chime in to say my Gunbird 2 has the exact same issue.
    I wonder if they are actually all like this? Does anyone have one that doesn't exhibit this issue?

  9. #9
    Dogg-Father
    Neodogg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH

    Posts
    3,257
    Can take a look at my board later...

    I don’t remember any audio issue but am running it through a super gun...

  10. #10
    Dogg-Father
    Neodogg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH

    Posts
    3,257
    here is a pic of my C1 cap...it's a little different than what kuze was told...looks like a 16v, not sure what kind of difference that would make.



    I don't really notice any feedback, there is a "static" sound but seems like normal. Let me know if y'all need different pics of something...

  11. #11
    Akari's Big Brother
    kuze's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    In the year 2248

    Posts
    2,503
    Thanks Neodogg, to my understanding it is ok to replace a capacitor with a higher voltage rating, as long as the capacitance is the same. It probably doesn't get more than 5v through it anyways.

    The 'static' sound is probably the same thing. If you crank up the volume pot past like 15 to 25% it gets really noticeable unless you're playing on a supergun setup.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •