hanafuda

Dr. Brown's Time Machine Mechanic
img003-1.jpg

img004-1.jpg

img005-1.jpg

img006.jpg

hanafuda

OK, so the release is a few weeks away yet (at least it is in Japan for 12 of February), but I'm finally starting to get interested in this game.

What with the recent release of HD Remix, there does seem to be some renewed interest in the fighting genre, which is cool.

So I played this at one of the loc tests back in April in Osaka, and have played it in the arcades a few times too. It never really grabbed me, and to be honest it still hasn't, but at the same time I'm getting more and more up for purchasing the home version.

Firstly, I like Gen, and Rose is quite an interesting character too. Plus there are all the other things such as online play, some friends interested in it too, trophies, and so on.

I went to my local arcade yesterday on the way to do some shopping just to see what was new and if they had Tatsunoko Vs Capcom. I hadn't been in there for weeks. Turned out the didn't have TvC, but still had the 4 SFIV cabs, although no one was playing.

So I dropped 100 Yen in and went for Sagat in Beginner mode. Went on to beat it, only losing one round, which was to Seth.

I have to say Beginner mode is a nice option. Not only does it lock out challengers for the first few matches, but also sets the difficultly pretty low. Great for messing around and getting a feel for things.

I still have a few issues with the arcade game, many of which still prevail. I don't like the visuals in general (more the art direction than anything), and really don't like ANY of the new characters. That's more from a design POV than a gameplay POV though.

The graphics only bother me if I'm watching it though - don't really notice them when I'm playing.

The home version is bringing a lot more to the table though, including some more characters I like. At present Famitsu says there are 25 playable characters in the home version. Anyone have the roster to hand?

So I think I'll be preordering this, and yes Spike, I'll be getting the PS3 version.

Any of you up for this, send me a friend request.

So this thread is to hype up the HOME versions of the game, and discuss/gloat etc.

I realise a lot of people have issues with the game, but please don't turn this thread into some lame bitch fest. There's another thread in Unrelated where you can do that. If you want to bitch about the home ports, then it's fine PROVIDED you have played the game in one of its forms.

hanafuda

The first point I want to get some discussion moving on is the Saving Attack move, primarily as this is one of the biggest new additions to the gameplay.

For anyone that doesn't know, this is performed by pressing medium kick and medium punch at the same time, and you can charge it to 3 (?) levels by holding the buttons down, each progressive level generating a stronger attack.

I think you are supposed to use it to first counter and absorb an opponent's attack, then counterstrike by releasing the charge.

Also, I think the resulting attack is unblockable.

I messed around with it some more yesterday.

The thing about the move seems to be that you are completely vulnerable while charging it, so if you whiff the counter for whatever reason, and start charging, then the opponent can hit you with whatever they feel like. The CPU was using it quite a bit on me, but rarely actually countering me, so I just smacked them when I realised that is what they were doing.

If your opponent isn't familiar with the move then there's nothing to stop you charging one up even without countering an attack, and releasing for a free unblockable hit, but that really isn't going to fool many people. Or can you combo into a Saving Attack for some mind games?

Firstly, let me clarify I'm still a complete noob in regard to this game.

My question is, is the main use for the fully charged Saving Attack for countering and absorbing an opponent's Ultra Combo (or similar) and then releasing at the appropriate time for big damage? Furthermore, I think I've read that you can chain these into other moves to perform attacks that are normally not possible. What are the details regarding that?

subcons

I take no official position on the issue.,
Complete character roster for the home version.. So basically, it's everyone in the arcade version, they added Fei Long, Cammy, Sakura, Rose, Dan, and Gen, then made all the unplayable characters from the arcade playable. Pretty nice roster.

As for the Focus System (that's what it's being referred to here in the US), the SFIV Wiki entry actually explains it pretty well. From the vids I've seen, it seems like most people just use this to absorb projectiles and move in closer. Probably not being exploited to its full potential by most casual players yet.

I have yet to play or even see the game in person. I've been watching a lot of vids and playing tons of ST Remix though and I'm pretty excited about this release. I'm also not too big on what I've seen of the visuals, but a lot of people say that may change once I get to play and see it for myself. It's definitely over the top which fits the whole vibe of the series, but it might be too much so for my tastes. We'll see.

BigTinz

VT's Bitch , You can fuck this mouth for a fruit c
I fucking hate cammy...I wish they would have left her cheap ass out of sf4.

ReplicaX

Unholy Custom Rank.,
15 Year Member
Info on the Collector's Edition info finally released and for $80 it doesn't look like some behind the scenes bullshit:
sfiv_-_x360_final_ce_collection_photo.jpg

1. The game

2. A limited-edition (ie., not sold anywhere else) figurine – Ryu in the PS3 box, C. Viper hotness in the 360 flavor. Decisions, decisions...

3. Street Fighter IV: The Ties That Bind: a 65 minute anime movie -- created by Studio 4C -- that sets up the story of SFIV by explaining events post-SFII. BluRay disc in the PS3 box! The Xbox version is a 360 game disc that outputs the movie at 720P, not a DVD.

4. A mini-strategy guide from Prima, written by the same people doing the full-on guide and illustrated by Udon Comics

5. CD soundtrack. Rock SFIV stage chunez in your car!

6. …Plus some secret additional downloadable content that we’re not quite ready to reveal at this point. Look for more announcements soon!

All this wrapped up nicely in a box that features Ikeno-san’s instant classic illustration of Ryu, with images of the other characters on the sides.

You like? All this can be yours for a mere $79.99. As a fan, I'm totally blown away. I can't wait to get my hands on one of these, and I work here!

payment_due

Arcade Trading Room Troll? Well its about damn t
In the timeline, does SF4 take place after SFII only, or is it also after SFIII?

subcons

In the timeline, does SF4 take place after SFII only, or is it also after SFIII?

I believe it's somewhere between the two. At least, that's what I've read. Although I find some of the SF mythos interesting, I could really care less about the story in these games.

Ghost-Dog

Presented by the Florida Department of Economic Op
20 Year Member
I'm definitely down for this game (PS3 version). I just need to figure out what stick will be best for this game and whatever other fighters end up coming out for PS3. I'm leaning towards the Mad Catz SE sticks, but they are $150 apiece. I wish there was a way to try one out before committing that kind of money.

So what kind of sticks will everyone be using?

payment_due

Arcade Trading Room Troll? Well its about damn t
Curious, what does everyone think of the Hori Virtua Fighter 5 stick? I found one at Gamestop a week or so ago and it was marked down to $50, so I traded in GOW2 and got it for 20. I've been playing SF2HD with it and it works great.

Any opinions on it? I like it and will probably stick with it for SFIV for the 360 since that's what the stick I have is for.

MilkManX

I Love Frames!,
Yeah I cant wait to get this. I need to get some funds for my ARCADEINABOX.com stick!

Average Joe

Be water, my friend.
20 Year Member
Gen's character model looks fucking badass.

Love Rosa too--never used her much but always dug her character.

Cammy? Indifferent.

Suppose it was too much to hope Birdie would show up...

Fei Long being there is more than enough though.

Game has my attention... that's for sure and I dig the roster.

This game alone has got me interested in Fighters again.

Moon Jump

Alfred Garcia's Butler
Having played it at Tokyo Game Action, I will be getting the special edition for sure. I also need to get my Hori Stick modded for my 360 so I can play it like the real machines that TGA has.

I like the new added characters, but I still would have liked to have seen Karin and a few people from 3. But with the ones they added, I'll be fine.

Hopefully they didn't mess too much with Sakura, after Zero 3 they kept changing her moves around and I didn't like using her as much.

subcons

Suppose it was too much to hope Birdie would show up...

I always liked Birdie in SFA2. But I think you and me might be the only ones... hence why he's not making an appearance more than likely. I think he would fit well into the wacky feel of SFIV though, plus the game just needs more grapplers.

hanafuda

I always liked Birdie in SFA2. But I think you and me might be the only ones... hence why he's not making an appearance more than likely. I think he would fit well into the wacky feel of SFIV though, plus the game just needs more grapplers.

I'm a pretty big Birdie fan.

Adon too.

Thanks for those links BTW.

As for sticks, I'll be on HRAP3. A newer version is out or coming out in Japan for anyone inerested. I think you can only buy it online direct from Hori though.

Last edited:

Ancient Flounder

"Just walk away. Give me the pump...the oil...the
15 Year Member
Kind of bunk that the movie will be on a 360 game disc for that version, but it's better than splitting it up on two dual-layer DVDs or putting on an HD-DVD (kekekeke). I'll live, since I'm picking this version up anyways because: A) I have a properly modded stick for it and B) finding opponents will be easier.

Loopz

Formerly Punjab,
I fucking hate cammy...I wish they would have left her cheap ass out of sf4.

Cammy has never been 'cheap'. You really had to earn wins with her in OG ST, and while she's been a little bit beefed up in terms of priority in HD, you still have to work.

hanafuda

Info on the Collector's Edition info finally released and for $80 it doesn't look like some behind the scenes bullshit:
sfiv_-_x360_final_ce_collection_photo.jpg

1. The game

2. A limited-edition (ie., not sold anywhere else) figurine ? Ryu in the PS3 box, C. Viper hotness in the 360 flavor. Decisions, decisions...

3. Street Fighter IV: The Ties That Bind: a 65 minute anime movie -- created by Studio 4C -- that sets up the story of SFIV by explaining events post-SFII. BluRay disc in the PS3 box! The Xbox version is a 360 game disc that outputs the movie at 720P, not a DVD.

4. A mini-strategy guide from Prima, written by the same people doing the full-on guide and illustrated by Udon Comics

5. CD soundtrack. Rock SFIV stage chunez in your car!

6. ?Plus some secret additional downloadable content that we?re not quite ready to reveal at this point. Look for more announcements soon!

All this wrapped up nicely in a box that features Ikeno-san?s instant classic illustration of Ryu, with images of the other characters on the sides.

You like? All this can be yours for a mere $79.99. As a fan, I'm totally blown away. I can't wait to get my hands on one of these, and I work here!

nice

no special editions in japan,but you get the anime 'free' if you are an early adopter.