Perler Bead Art

Pink Spider

Beast Buster
After stumbling upon this forum I decided to get into making some bead sprites. Mainly Mega Man characters.
I just started monday and have done only 3.
Some of the projects on the forum posted above are huge and very impressive.
But I'm startin' small for now. ;)

Anyway, so far I got Air Man, Concrete Man, and Metal Man.
(See photo)
dsc06090sr3.jpg

Nickn

Swords, Dragons & Big Breasted Women
Very very cool sir, how do you do this? I wouldnt mind trying : )

Jedah Doma

Chroma Ma' Doma!,
I checked out the site months ago and was on a big hunt for Perler Beads. Sadly my town sucks a big left one and I can't find any decent colors or bead boards. So I pretty much just gave up as I can't be arsed to order them online.:(

Pink Spider

Beast Buster
Well the seller I got my stuff from is here:
http://myworld.ebay.com/callahan13/
Very friendly and helpful seller. Great prices. I got 6 peg boards and 55,000 beads to start with.

Basically you lay out your pattern on a peg board. Cover it with "ironing paper" or just basic parchment paper, then take a standard clothing iron to it. Flip and repeat.

There is some software and websites out there people have made which you just upload an image and it does all the color and grid work for ya.

If I ever spill one of these I will be very fucking pissed!
dsc06095jb9.jpg

FAT$TACKS

Not Average Joe., Not Average Homeowner., Not Aver
15 Year Member
so Really how hard is that to do. Is there a large amount of a normal person could fuck it up when they do it, or is it simple enough I could prolly make one?

Pink Spider

Beast Buster
It's simple. The only thing you can fuck up is to over iron and melt the shit out of everything.
I havent been exactly ironing everything evenly, but unless you get super close up next to it, it's hard to tell.
Plus there is software and websites out there you just upload the image to and it maps out the grid and even tells you what colors you will need.

Anyway, just finished Tornado Man. Two photos, one pre ironing and one post ironing.

dsc06098qw7.jpg

dsc06104bb0.jpg

FAT$TACKS

Not Average Joe., Not Average Homeowner., Not Aver
15 Year Member
Well that looks like it could be a fun thing to waste some time on. That and I bet I could get my daughter started in on it an have her make me all kinds of things. Kind of like having my own child sweat shop.

Seriously that is pretty neat and I could see how those would be cool to put on magnets or stick on the walls in a game room.

BLEAGH

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
Those are really neat! Pixel art with beads. Awesome!

Pink Spider

Beast Buster
dsc06159jj2.jpg

dsc06168ui3.jpg

And to give an idea where I am placing these.
I am going to probably fill that trim of my wall from kitchen to bathroom.
The line will end with Wily & Guts Man and start with Light, Proto Man and Megaman and maybe Rush and Roll.
I can probably fit 10 to 14 more robot masters. Thats not including if I make some in the air with jumping/flying poses.

dsc06173hn3.jpg

zombiesara

, She-sagwa
Did you buy your colors online?

I'm having a next to impossible time trying to find individual colors on the retail level.

Pink Spider

Beast Buster
Did you buy your colors online?

I'm having a next to impossible time trying to find individual colors on the retail level.

Ebay seller callahan13 will have everything you need.
She sells colors in lots of 1,000. Around $1.75 per 1,000. Discounts if you buy in bulk.
She has over 50 different colors in stock in Perler brand alone.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Awesome work everyone.

Sara, have you made anything new?

I'd so love some bead sprites of Fio, Eri, Marco, and Tarma from Metal Slug along with the Tank Slug and one of Morden's Soldiers.

That'd be good times.

I might have to nerd out and make some stuff.

Pink Spider

Beast Buster
I'm actually still up in the air about what my first "big" project will be..
The tank slug was on my mind, as well as Zangief or Adon (Alpha 3 sprites) or the dragon boss from Megaman 2.
I made Skull Man and Gemini Man today, but I totally fucked Gemini and over ironed him. My first big fuck up after 14 finished characters, so not to bad I suppose.
dsc06191ul1.jpg

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
About how long is it taking to make each character?

Pink Spider

Beast Buster
About how long is it taking to make each character?

Never actually timed it. Maybe around an hour or less.
I am waiting to get the other colors I ordered so I make Guts Man. But until then I made his bolder.

dsc06200at3.jpg

Next 10 I plan on making are:
Guts Man
Crash Man
Wood Man
Quick Man
Snake Man
Pharoah Man
Stone Man (This one should be awesome!)
Centaur Man
Knight Man
Heat Man