How do I clear the back up memory on a MVS Board?

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
KaedesBlade:
Flip all dip switches to on and then power on the board. You will see "Work Ram Test" or something like that on the screen. Let this sit for a minute or so, then turn off the machine and return all dips to normal settings... all memory clear! :)

-Nick

KaedesBlade

Bead Banger
nruva:
KaedesBlade:
Flip all dip switches to on and then power on the board. You will see "Work Ram Test" or something like that on the screen. Let this sit for a minute or so, then turn off the machine and return all dips to normal settings... all memory clear! :)

-Nick
I turn all the dips on, while the carts are inserted?

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
I think it doesnt matter if you have a cart in or not.

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
No it doesn't matter, with or without carts is fine.

-Nick

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
Now if someone would fix the backup memory problem I have when flicking aforementioned dips.. :)

Razoola

Divine Hand of the UniBIOS,
Staff member
20 Year Member
You can also do it by going into test mode then the hardware test. Flip through the screens until you get to one says A+B+C to clear backup ram. Simply press A+B+C at that point.

Raz

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
Razoola:
You can also do it by going into test mode then the hardware test. Flip through the screens until you get to one says A+B+C to clear backup ram. Simply press A+B+C at that point.

Raz
I thought Nightmare Tony mentioned once that didn't always clear out all data, and the best way to do it was from the dip switches... but I could be totally off here... anyone remember? I believe he said that would clear all game data, but not really "all" data,

-Nick

Razoola

Divine Hand of the UniBIOS,
Staff member
20 Year Member
nruva:
Razoola:

Raz
I thought Nightmare Tony mentioned once that didn't always clear out all data, and the best way to do it was from the dip switches... but I could be totally off here... anyone remember? I believe he said that would clear all game data, but not really "all" data,

-Nick
It does actually clear out all the data but once cleared it then writes back the default settings and backup memory header.

If you clear with the dip switches the default settings will also be written back on the next power on before a game runs.

One thing that some people may not know is that the power on memory tests WILL NOT test the backup memory if it finds the backup memory header. This is a possible cause of power on lockup (with no error message) when there are problems with the backup memory. Basically it happens if the header is correct but other parts of the backup memory region are bad. Kernow found this out with his neogeo board the other day.

Raz

<small>[ March 30, 2003, 09:09 AM: Message edited by: Razoola ]</small>