Maradona wants to be national coach

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Now that Alfio Basile quit the job, Diego brought himself into play, he said it would be the right moment for him to take over the Seleccion.

Not sure if that's a good idea... being a top player doesn't say anything about coaching skills... ...or does it?

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Now that Alfio Basile quit the job, Diego brought himself into play, he said it would be the right moment for him to take over the Seleccion.

Not sure if that's a good idea... being a top player doesn't say anything about coaching skills... ...or does it?

terrible idea. Maradona should not be involved in football anymore.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
If I would be a legendary footballer, I would NEVER risk my legendary status by becoming national coach. Diego should do what Pelé did and run for office as minister of sports or something like that (or join the narcotics bureau, ha ha). Football has changed a lot, there is no place for non-media-made legends anymore... the biz wants superstars that are easily malleable and agree to any kind of marketing bullshit the various football associations come up with.

I'm quite sure that characters like Maradona, Beckenbauer, Pelé or Cruyff wouldn't have a chance to become legends in todays' climate of money and techno footie.

Zero Satori

Jaguar Ninja
The question is also: Would Maradona's style of play be adoptable by his younger players, or would the slow, strategic game prove disastrous to a national squad which already has it's share of problems?

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Well, sadly there are international standards for coaching a top team so the real question seems to be wether Maradona as a person would be the right choice as coach of the Seleccion. Personally I'd appreciate a return to a more strategic and slower game but that's not what the majority wants to see, so Diego had no other chance than to play by the FIFA rules... ...and if there's one thing ol' blockhead Maradona isn't very good at it's playing by rules that aren't his own.

Neo Geo MVS

Igniz's Servent
Since my whole family is Argentinian I have a mentality of most Argentinians futbol wise I didn't want him to become our coach I was just fine with giving Basile another chance, he was my clubs coach for a while before he got called up to the national team and he won every tourney we played in, until he got replaced by Lavolpe which ruined everything for us. Basile is a legendary coach but I also think his style is more old school and these new kids just don't understand him as much as they should. Miguel Angel Russo should have been giving the job of coach since he has alot more experience than Maradona, but I think Maradona should be part of the team as a technical coach or a motivational speaker type job with the national team. Anyways now he is our coach and we have to support him.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
The worst fate is to become a Klinsmann. He's going to get axed as Bayern manager now. It's in the cards.

On the other hand, you have Bernd Schuster, who, although under fire at the moment, did great thigns with Real Madrid. Arguably the fault of Real Madrid right now is not Schuster's but Calderon's. We don't really notice as much when the manager is of meager notoriety, like Pep Guardiola, or Unai Emery. When Quieroz is axed, no one will remember him as a coach because he was always a no one to everyone but the Manchester fans. When the manager is like Rijkaard or Koeman, the axe falls so quickly maybe because of the prior fame of the coach as player, and people remember. It's a strong signal to everyone.

Maradona will not have full control of his team, and that's going to be an issue. He's going to have more issues with staff members that are appointed for him; having to work with people he does not respect. But I hope he does really well. I like his work ethic, and as long as he can keep the bad influences away from him, he can do great things.

Neo Geo MVS

Igniz's Servent
Maradona will not have full control of his team, and that's going to be an issue. He's going to have more issues with staff members that are appointed for him; having to work with people he does not respect. But I hope he does really well. I like his work ethic, and as long as he can keep the bad influences away from him, he can do great things.

The funny thing is he is creating beef with Grondona the AFA president to have Ruggeri be a assitant coach and a few years back Ruggeri talked mad shit about Grondona and said he should leave AFA (I agree and completely hate Grondona). We'll have to see what happens, but dont worry because he has complete say on who will be on his staff. He might not be able to get certain people because of the beef they already created for themselves like Ruggeri. I really don't understand what Diego thinks Ruggeri was the shittiest coach ever and he brought San Lorenzo (A club in Argentina) to its weakest point, I wont ever forget in 2006 when my club kicked their ass 7-1 during one of the Argentina tourneys. He was axed in favor of Ramon Diaz who made them Champions as soon as he took over San Lorenzo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tHfXbez2NyQ&feature=related

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
The funny thing is he is creating beef with Grondona the AFA president to have Ruggeri be a assitant coach and a few years back Ruggeri talked mad shit about Grondona and said he should leave AFA (I agree and completely hate Grondona). We'll have to see what happens, but dont worry because he has complete say on who will be on his staff. He might not be able to get certain people because of the beef they already created for themselves like Ruggeri. I really don't understand what Diego thinks Ruggeri was the shittiest coach ever and he brought San Lorenzo (A club in Argentina) to its weakest point, I wont ever forget in 2006 when my club kicked their ass 7-1 during one of the Argentina tourneys. He was axed in favor of Ramon Diaz who made them Champions as soon as he took over San Lorenzo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tHfXbez2NyQ&feature=related

In all honesty, Maradona should only have been made an assistant coach. His purpose to motivate and train the team. But someone needs to be in control of Maradona. At his best, someone was in control of him. On his own, a disaster.

Neo Geo MVS

Igniz's Servent
All I know is he might have a alcohol problem because after AFA axed Basile and everyone was going through a list of possible coaches a big futbol show in Argentina called Estudio Futbol on TYC Sports channel called him up and he sounded drunk it wasn't even funny and he claimed he would love to be giving the chance to be head coach but my god he seemed alittle out of it during the conversation.

rugal2000

, Troll Me, , Cuz I is 3lit3, ,
[
Maradona in my opinion will have full control of the actual team and administration etc. The players love him, and they will be on the same level as Maradona who in some aspects is still a young man in the way he interacts. Plus Sergio Aguera is his future son in law. Traditionally Argentine football hasnt had the same cliques and players revolts of nations like Holland, Brazil , England or France. Maradona also I suspect is far more tactically astute than people think.
The board will not dare f with him now that they have finally appointed him. It will be a another Kevin Keegan situation for him if they do and they know that.

He's got a great back up team in a legendary manager like Billardo who he goes way back with. They know each other well and will work well together.
So in that aspect Maradona will have control.

Maradona in the last 5 years is a very different figure to the mess. of the 90's.