Stereo sound from CPS-1 boards

MKL

Basara's Blade Keeper
20 Year Member
According to some sources (a topic in RGVAC if memory serves me) you can get stereo sound from connector CN5 located on CPS-1 motherboards. Pin 3 is ground, pin 1 and 2 left and right respectively. You also need an amplifier (I used my stereo). I managed to get sound from both speakers but I'm uncertain if it's actually stereo. Anyone else tried this?

MKL

Basara's Blade Keeper
20 Year Member
Yeah!!! I made it!!!!

Now I know what the problem was: I was trying to get stereo from Three Wonders but that game only outputs mono... I checked <a href="http://www.klov.com" target="_blank">www.klov.com</a> to know the games that actually have a stereo option. Quite a short list, unfortunately:

Adventure Quiz Capcom World
Adventure Quiz Capcom World 2
Street Fighter II (also CE, etc.)
Strider
UN Squadron
Captain Commando

Then I tried with my Strider PCB and bang! awesome stereo sound, totally rocks!!! especially if you have a good system.
Anyway, this prooves (some) CPS-1 games (leaving aside CPS-1 Q-sound ones) can actually output stereo sound...

All you people with a Street Fighter II board (the other ones are rare), please try this and you won't regret it.

MuKuro

Overtop Pathfinder
15 Year Member
Many thanks, but have anyone test Final Fight and Gouls-and-Gosts in stereo mode?

Razoola

Divine Hand of the UniBIOS,
Staff member
20 Year Member
Can you try with SF2 for me, Are the punch effects also stereo, eg when on the left side of screen puch comes from left speaker?

Raz

Amano Jacu

Charles Barkley
I have a SF2 WW CPS1 board, I might be able to try it, but won't be able to do so til at least 7 days.