Universe Bios v3.0 Released.

jekbrown

New Challenger
you'd know better than anyone raz... would it be possible in a future version of UB to add a "3rd part memory card" option? What else gets tested in the hardware test? Would it be possible to test everything but the card, thus protecting it from getting wiped in the test??

Razoola

Divine Hand of the UniBIOS,
Staff member
20 Year Member
you'd know better than anyone raz... would it be possible in a future version of UB to add a "3rd part memory card" option? What else gets tested in the hardware test? Would it be possible to test everything but the card, thus protecting it from getting wiped in the test??

It would be possible but Im not sure that would be a good idea. Better would be to ask a confirmation to test the card or not.

Raz

jekbrown

New Challenger
Sounds good to me. Ya know it wouldn't be all that much effort to just remove the card if ya wanted to do the hardware test...but if I had a ton of stuff saved on a larger 3rd party card and I accidentally wiped it I'd be pissed! ;) Anyway, maybe v3.1 of the UB could have the test-or-not confirmation thing... :)

buaku

Hardened Shock Trooper
That'd be a neat idea to ask for a confirmation.

jekbrown: I see you found my thread where I mentioned which mem cards I have :) Glad it was useful!

Speaking of memory cards gettin wiped...it happened to me with my ps2 memory card. Their magazine sent out some demo disk and one of the demos ended up wiping out the memory card. That pissed me off a lot. I lost my soul cal 2 game and my Dark Cloud game. Not to mention my Sphinx one. What sucked was I had the disk for a few weeks and the day after I try it is when I read that playing one of the demos on there would wipe the card!! I shoulda stayed lazy!!

jekbrown

New Challenger
it was useful! Still searching the web for alternatives before I pull the trigger though. Some of them 3rd party cards are crazy-$pendy. :(

btw, I know this is a dumb newb question, but where exactly do you get the serial # from your MVS? I have an MV-1. I wanna order my UB asap, and I'd like the serial to be added...

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
It would be possible but Im not sure that would be a good idea. Better would be to ask a confirmation to test the card or not.

Raz
How about an option in the main Unibios menu, memory card protect, or something that switches off the memory card test.

buaku

Hardened Shock Trooper
it was useful! Still searching the web for alternatives before I pull the trigger though. Some of them 3rd party cards are crazy-$pendy. :(
Yeah, some of them can get pricey. The one I got off of ebay I think was around 20-30 bucks too.

btw, I know this is a dumb newb question, but where exactly do you get the serial # from your MVS? I have an MV-1. I wanna order my UB asap, and I'd like the serial to be added...

On both of my boards it was just on a sticker near the edge.

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
Raz, you ever here anyone complain about getting NAM 1975 to work? I've got an older rev of the Unibios, 2.2, and when I stuck Nam in the cabinet it would come up, but you couldn't start the game. Basically, it was like start didn't respond at all and all I could do was switch to the other game in the cabinet. When I went into the soft dip menu it was reporting the game as Last Resort. I can honestly say I haven't played this game since I got a Unibios years ago, so this is the first I've noticed it.

Similarly, can anyone with 3.0 try NAM if you have the cart, and let me know if it works? Right now the cab is setup as a US biosed MVS cab. I guess I can try switching to Japanese or etc and give that a go as well.

Razoola

Staff member
20 Year Member
I have not heard anyone with that issue before, maybe it can be solved by resetting the backupRAM. Were you in freeplay mode also? if so try in normal mode and see if that helps.

Raz

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
I have not heard anyone with that issue before, maybe it can be solved by resetting the backupRAM. Were you in freeplay mode also? if so try in normal mode and see if that helps.

Raz

I was in Freeplay mode... and I have had Last Resort in recently, so it definitely could be work ram related. I'll do a reset later today and see if that fixes it. I'll let you know if it still isn't working.

alright ! Unibios is released without a splash screen! I guess I have no reason not to buy it now except that :

1. I don't really understand what it does
2. I have no idea how to install it
3. I'm an idiot and I don't deserve it

someone set me straight !

edit /// decided to buy the thing based solely on the soft reset. Can someone point out for me exactly which chip on the board I would be replacing? Just want to make sure I have access to it on my semi-consolized 1F. A picture or a description.. can't find the info on the search . . . T H A N K S !

Last edited:

Neo Alec

20 Year Member
alright ! Unibios is released without a splash screen! I guess I have no reason not to buy it now except that :

1. I don't really understand what it does
2. I have no idea how to install it
3. I'm an idiot and I don't deserve it

someone set me straight !

edit /// decided to buy the thing based solely on the soft reset. Can someone point out for me exactly which chip on the board I would be replacing? Just want to make sure I have access to it on my semi-consolized 1F. A picture or a description.. can't find the info on the search . . . T H A N K S !
(stfu) read the site NOOB!

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
By the way, a quick clearing of the Work RAM fixed NAM fine in the cab. I forgot how awesome that game was... My roommate also is amazingly good at it... I had to take it out because it was a constant reminder of shame when his high score was about 10xs mine.

Just wondering (and I know this is probably impossible, but thought I'd ask): Is there a way you could make cheats stay active on a multi-slot MVS board? Normally cheats stay active until the game cycles to the next attract. I'm sure this is a memory limitation, but... would it be possible to save cheat settings across games?

Razoola

Staff member
20 Year Member
By the way, a quick clearing of the Work RAM fixed NAM fine in the cab. I forgot how awesome that game was... My roommate also is amazingly good at it... I had to take it out because it was a constant reminder of shame when his high score was about 10xs mine.

Just wondering (and I know this is probably impossible, but thought I'd ask): Is there a way you could make cheats stay active on a multi-slot MVS board? Normally cheats stay active until the game cycles to the next attract. I'm sure this is a memory limitation, but... would it be possible to save cheat settings across games?

It would not really be possible.

SuperMegaUltra

Geese's Thug
It slices! :eek: It dices! :eek: It's the greatest thing since the Universe Bios v2.3!! :drool_2:

Thanks for yet another amazing product, Razoola. Still, there's one question that I don't think has been addressed. Will this new iteration remove all censorship from -- and thus allow full character-specific zetsumei ougis for -- the "fixed" version of Samurai Shodown V Special for the SNK Neo•Geo Home Cartridge (NGH) Advanced Entertainment System (AES)? :conf:

Please don't make me wait for the Universe Bios v3.1. :help:

Last edited:

Razoola

Staff member
20 Year Member
It slices! :eek: It dices! :eek: It's the greatest thing since the Universe Bios v2.3!! :drool_2:

Thanks for yet another amazing product, Razoola. Still, there's one question that I don't think has been addressed. Will this new iteration remove all censorship from -- and thus allow full character-specific zetsumei ougis for -- the "fixed" version of Samurai Shodown V Special for the SNK Neo•Geo Home Cartridge (NGH) Advanced Entertainment System (AES)? :conf:

No it won't, thats not possible to do.

Neo Alec

20 Year Member

The moves aren't in the fixed version. It's not Razoola's fault.

SuperMegaUltra

Geese's Thug
The moves aren't in the fixed version. It's not Razoola's fault.

Of course it's not Razoola's fault; why would you say that? :shame:

The Universe Bios v2.3 was able to fix the audio bugs, repair the video glitches, and restore full character-specific zetsumei ougis that were otherwise missing from the "unfixed" version of Samurai Shodown V Special for the SNK Neo•Geo Home Cartridge (NGH) Advanced Entertainment System (AES). It only stands to reason that the Universe Bios v3.0 might be able to do the same for the "fixed" version. But, apparently, that's not the case. :(

Ah well, "c'est la vie." :cool:

Neo Alec

20 Year Member
Of course it's not Razoola's fault; why would you say that? :shame:

The Universe Bios v2.3 was able to fix the audio bugs, repair the video glitches, and restore full character-specific zetsumei ougis that were otherwise missing from the "unfixed" version of Samurai Shodown V Special for the SNK Neo•Geo Home Cartridge (NGH) Advanced Entertainment System (AES). It only stands to reason that the Universe Bios v3.0 might be able to do the same for the "fixed" version. But, apparently, that's not the case. :(

Ah well, "c'est la vie." :cool:
It doesn't stand to reason because I think the data probably just isn't on the cart. They've been completely removed -- there's no way to restore something that isn't there. Of course it can fix the unfixed cart -- that one's just the same data as the MVS carts. It's all there.

RyoGeo

Global Moderator, Voice of Reason, Member #13
Speaking of Samurai Shodown 5, I can't remember the difference between 5 and 5 Special. Wasn't it just access to some of the boss characters, or was it more/better/balanced/tweaked in other ways?

I ask because, I have only been buying MVS for some time now, and the 5 Sp MVS cart is A) almost impossible to find and B) stupid expensive when you do.

I was thinking that a handy dandy upgrade to my 1.1 Unibios might grant me kind of a virtualized SS 5 Sp experience as opposed to shelling out buck change for an actual 5 Sp MVS cart.

And yes, I have version 1.1! When Raz first posted about the Unibios, I hopped on that train pretty quickly!

Last edited:

Neo Alec

20 Year Member
Speaking of Samurai Shodown 5, I can't remember the difference between 5 and 5 Special. Wasn't it just access to some of the boss characters, or was it more/better/balanced/tweaked in other ways?

I ask because, I have only been buying MVS for some time now, and the 5 Sp MVS cart is A) almost impossible to find and B) stupid expensive when you do.

I was thinking that a handy dandy upgrade to my 1.1 Unibios might grant me kind of a virtualized SS 5 Sp experience as opposed to shelling out buck change for an actual 5 Sp MVS cart.

And yes, I have version 1.1! When Raz first posted about the Unibios, I hopped on that train pretty quickly!
No, it's a different game. There were lots of differences. Lots of people think it's worth it for Special. The Unibios alone certainly won't get you there.

Noth666

n00b
Hi fellow button-bashers,

I've been scouring the net and FAQs for one piece of info about the universe bios sofar with no luck, so I thought I'd ask it here even tho it is not version specific (atleast I do not think it is :P) but here it goes:

I've got 3 AES systems which I am restoring to their former glory, two for a friend and one for myself, and I will be installing the Universe Bios on 2 of these machines (the native Jap stays with original bios).
One of the systems has a socketed bios as standard, it looks to be a very old revision mobo (NEO-AES if I am not mistaken) would I be simply able to remove the chip and drop in the Universe bios?
I was also planning on desoldering the original bios from my own euro unit, and stick a socket in, and drop in the bios also. I will be desoldering and socketing some of the other chips on it at the same time plus doing RGB mod etc, so it does not make for more work.

The reason why I am asking is that even the mods I have seen which use a socket still keep the old bios chip under it, and cut pins plus solder in a resistor...? Is this resistor needed to use the universe bios?

I know the MVS is a drop in for socketed boards but is the AES the same?

-I'm sure this is a fairly dumb question but I could not find the answer anywhere-

Razoola

Staff member
20 Year Member
You only need the resistor if you piggy back the bios or socket on top of an old bios. If you remove the old bios and fit a socket direct to the PCB then the resistor is not needed.

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
universe bios 3.0 arcade protect issue

Does anyone know how to disable arcade protect on universe bios 3.0?