Universe Bios v3.0 Released.

Hewitson

Metal Slug Mechanic
I guess thats my question .... does slowdown indicate overclocking, or is that something you do intentionally. Forgive my ignorance but when I hear the term overclock I imagine it means that the system is taxed to the max so to speak, and would then cause slowdown. Sorry if this really isn't the place to discuss this.
Overclocking is when a chip is set to run at a speed higher than it was intended for. Eg: Someone running a P4 2.4ghz at 2.6ghz.

People overclock consoles in order to try and eliminate (or greatly reduce) slowdown.

arfink

Crossed Swords Squire
Yes, overclocking on the Neo Geo can greatly reduce slowdown in some games, especially shooters and most notably Metal Slug 2, which when overclocked I prefer over Metal Slug X. overclocking the main CPU doesn't actually make the game itself any faster, but helps the processor move data faster. So you won't have super fast gameplay, but slowdowns would be reduced.

However, some games don't like it I am told, so if you do overclock your machine make sure to get a switch to change between "standard" and "fast" mode.

Tung Fu Rue's Prize Student
20 Year Member
Yes, I'm waiting to see if what I changed heled any of the 2 problems mentioned.

Raz

I have a switchable (16MHz/12MHz) overclocked MVS motherboard. I would be happy to test this out for you.

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
does anyone have a 16Mhz 68010 in their Neo?

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
Curious to what cheats are added. Mostly ones like more blood codes to major titles and unlockables. I really like the convenience of keeping a game in US AES mode and having blood and bouncy mode.
Feature idea for future version: Make a global option in the Unibios main menu called "AES uncensored mode" that has a list of blood and "bounce" cheats that are automatically enabled every time you play the games.

Murray

Akari's Big Brother
Feature idea for future version: Make a global option in the Unibios main menu called "AES uncensored mode" that has a list of blood and "bounce" cheats that are automatically enabled every time you play the games.
Good call. Or maybe just a general-purpose uncensored mode, not necessarily AES-only.

Although I'd expect such a mode would take a significant amount of coding and extra space in the bios.

massimiliano

ネオジオ,
20 Year Member
Ohh yea, those would be able to be saved but one would still need to create a program to retrieve the data once the backupRAM has been saved to PC.

I'm not in deep as many here, but could you please send me a dump so I can give a try to extract/manipolate that data?

:multi_co:

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
Good call. Or maybe just a general-purpose uncensored mode, not necessarily AES-only.

Although I'd expect such a mode would take a significant amount of coding and extra space in the bios.
I remember suggesting it in the 2.1 days, and Razoola seemed to think it wasn't really possible. I'm wondering about just having a list of certain cheats that turn on by default when a certain option in the bios is on. Is that route more possible?

Razoola

Divine Hand of the UniBIOS,
Staff member
20 Year Member
Something like that may be possible, Ill see if I can look into it for future versions.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
You'd probably have to keep the bouncy Mai cheat for KOF 2001 off the list, since that one also throws the game into Japanese mode.

Razoola

Staff member
20 Year Member
yup, some cause problems like the one you mention.

SNKNostalgia

Avid Neo-Expert
Games that bothered me with the blood mode are ones like Samurai Shodown 1. The only way to play in English with blood is in MVS mode. I do have the UNIBIOS 2.0 version, so it must have been added by now. It isn't a big deal if you can use JP AES mode and switch to English in the options.

I still hate how the text on the memory card is in Japanese if your system saved the game in JP AES/MVS. The memory goes the same for the Neo Geo CD/CDZ as well.

jekbrown

New Challenger
with 3.0 in my MV-1 MVS, can I get English language + blood + bouncy boobs at the same time on all games?

Kinda interested how peeps overclocking experiments with UB3.0 have gone also...

Razoola

Staff member
20 Year Member
with 3.0 in my MV-1 MVS, can I get English language + blood + bouncy boobs at the same time on all games?

Kinda interested how peeps overclocking experiments with UB3.0 have gone also...

No not in all games but you can in most.

jekbrown

New Challenger
awesome! Is there a list somewhere that shows which games would / wouldn't support the English + blood/boobs settings?

Also, does the UB play well with 3rd party memory cards? I just bought a card reader for my MVS...

Razoola

Staff member
20 Year Member
No list sorry, from memory there is one kof game where having boobs also forces japanese language. The UB should work fine with 3rd party memory cards I think.

jekbrown

New Challenger
thanks for the scoop and sorry for badgering you with all the questions. What you do for the Neo community with these bios chips is just awesome. Keep it up! I'm gonna get the serial number for my board and place my order! :)

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
awesome! Is there a list somewhere that shows which games would / wouldn't support the English + blood/boobs settings?
KOF 2001 is the only game you can't.

Also, does the UB play well with 3rd party memory cards? I just bought a card reader for my MVS...
It will work. Just don't ever go to the memory card test screen in the hardware test while the memory card is inserted. It will erase it. Always remove the memory card if you're going to do the hardware test. I keep a copy of all my saves on two cards because it's just too easy to erase. Before I had two cards I was always starting over with new saves every few months.

DanAdamKOF

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
It will work. Just don't ever go to the memory card test screen in the hardware test while the memory card is inserted. It will erase it. Always remove the memory card if you're going to do the hardware test. I keep a copy of all my saves on two cards because it's just too easy to erase. Before I had two cards I was always starting over with new saves every few months.

LOL

The unibios has fixed this since v1.3 or 1.2 I believe.

It was my idea in fact!

buaku

Hardened Shock Trooper
LOL

It was my idea in fact!

In the release before this one it was wiping out my third party memory cards from the regular memory card test. That's why for the longest time I thought those memory cards didn't work.
I'd go into the Universe BIOS menu and format the card, then go through the hardware test and it would always come up as NG. Then Neo Alec warned me not to do that test and all was well!

jekbrown

New Challenger
NeoAlec: cool beans mang, thanks for the info. I like KoF98 more anyway. :)

buaku: maybe a "3rd party mem card" mode should be selectable in the bios that would remove the test as an option...saving our data. :) what kinda 3rd party cards you have? make/model?

Razoola

Staff member
20 Year Member
It is possible that 3rd party memory cars could be deleted in the hardware test screens, the official cards will not.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
LOL

It was my idea in fact!
I wish that was the case. That was the intention I think, but it wasn't.

It is possible that 3rd party memory cars could be deleted in the hardware test screens, the official cards will not.
Right. We established this in an earlier thread. I had 2 third party cards that 2.1 and 2.3 were wiping on the hardware test. Everyone else's reports seem to match.

Razoola

Staff member
20 Year Member
I wish that was the case. That was the intention I think, but it wasn't.

Right. We established this in an earlier thread. I had 2 third party cards that 2.1 and 2.3 were wiping on the hardware test. Everyone else's reports seem to match.

Yup, alot depends on the size of the card. The unibios assumes its an official card only.