Universe Bios v3.0 Released.

Razoola

Divine Hand of the UniBIOS,
Staff member
20 Year Member
I don't really know why it has taken so long to get this released but I finally found the time to do it. Please note that while this version has been tested and seems ok it should be considered a somewhat beta version.

WHATS NEW IN VERSION 3.0
----------------------------

Additions / Changes
  • PC-2-NEO
    ----------
    This new feature gives the ability to transfer data to and from a NeoGeo via a cable connected to a PC. It should be considered experimental at this point but can be accessed from the main unibios menu. See the unibios homepage for more info and how to build the needed cable.
  • Added disable splash screen option back into general bios settings.
  • If a game is not in the socket on AES hardware you will see a 'white' blank screen at power on. I changed this to save confusion over some people thinking the old blue color was the result of a hardware check. The Unibios does not do a hardware check in the same way, you must have a game in the socket and use the button code at power on.
  • Changed the way region is set up on MVS hardware so there is more chance of a system with bad BackupRAM booting correctly.
  • Made code changes to help stop unibios ASCII curruption when the system is overclocked (untested).
  • Changed code so the NeoGeo spinning logo (older games only) draws correctly when a system is overclocked (untested).
  • Button C is now used to exit the unibios main menu.
Fixes
  • Fixed a problem that could cause some games to have glitches after swapping games on multislot hardware when in console mode.
  • Fixed garbled music with Metal Slug 4 in the jukebox from power on.
Cheats / CRC Database
  • New cheats added here and there.
  • Fixed KOF96 boss cheat so numbers don't appear above power bars.
  • Added another Real Bout Fatal Fury CRC.
  • Added another Soccer Brawl CRC.
  • Added another World Heroes CRC.
  • Added another Ghost Pilots CRC.
  • Added Nightmare in the Dark bootleg CRC.
  • Fixed a CRC issue with Waku Waku 7.

Macck

Edo Express Delivery Guy
Very goooddddd !!!

As fast i bought more 2 unibios i will test these upgrades !!!

Regards RAZ !!!

[]'Macck

Razoola

Staff member
20 Year Member
any chance of getting this one stickied and the 2.3 release thread unstickied... thanks.

Hewitson

Metal Slug Mechanic
Great news to see that the splash screen can be disabled again!

I'm just wondering what the NEO-2-PC is designed to do exactly? When you say its to "transfer data" is this save data or what?

Razoola

Staff member
20 Year Member
It can save P ROM info, also memory cards or even the backupRAM. I would like the main purpose of this to be homebrew games. Of course they will be small games and as you can't use your own music or graphics youll have to make mini games in conjunction with full game carts and simply use music and gfx already held in the game. For example games like tetris and puzzle games should be easily possible. Some nice demos will now also be possible.

Raz

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
Universe Bios v3.0 Released.
I don't really know why it has taken so long to get this released but I finally found the time to do it. Please note that while this version has been tested and seems ok it should be considered a somewhat beta version.

should people upgrade from 2.3 now or wait for the final release?

j_heiger

Crossed Swords Squire
Awsome news .... I was wondering why my Metal Slug 4 music was garbled some times.

j_heiger

Crossed Swords Squire
With regard to version 3.0, are all the old functions still stable. Is it just the NEO to PC part that is considered BETA?

Razoola

Staff member
20 Year Member
With regard to version 3.0, are all the old functions still stable. Is it just the NEO to PC part that is considered BETA?

It should all be stable yes though I had to make room to add the splash screen option back in which in theory could cause some problem but so far I'm sure its all ok.

massimiliano

ネオジオ,
20 Year Member
It can save P ROM info, also memory cards or even the backupRAM. I would like the main purpose of this to be homebrew games. Of course they will be small games and as you can't use your own music or graphics youll have to make mini games in conjunction with full game carts and simply use music and gfx already held in the game. For example games like tetris and puzzle games should be easily possible. Some nice demos will now also be possible.

Raz

Hi Raz! Thanks for bringing back the splash screen option!

Now I have no excuses to buy it! ;)

If I understand correctly we can now save this data:

-some ROMs
-memory card saves
-mvs highscores (backupRAM)

does it means we can even save bookmarks? I would gladly write something to draw graphics about cabinet/games usage statistics! (coins, play time etc..)

Thanks again for your effort,

Massimiliano

Razoola

Staff member
20 Year Member
Hi Raz! Thanks for bringing back the splash screen option!

Now I have no excuses to buy it! ;)

If I understand correctly we can now save this data:

-some ROMs
-memory card saves
-mvs highscores (backupRAM)

does it means we can even save bookmarks? I would gladly write something to draw graphics about cabinet/games usage statistics! (coins, play time etc..)

Thanks again for your effort,

Massimiliano

You mean savestates? If so that it would not be possible to get accurate. Well saying that most can be done but sound would be a problem because any playing music could not be resumed midway.

massimiliano

ネオジオ,
20 Year Member
You mean savestates? If so that it would not be possible to get accurate. Well saying that most can be done but sound would be a problem because any playing music could not be resumed midway.

well no (but cool about savestates exchanger/convertor with mame...nice feature!),
I mean the so called "bookmarks" in the mvs "test-switch" menu.
It's a list of stats like coin used per-game, average time play and else, used by arcade operators to control incomings and discard games, I heard in conjuction with some kind of pc-application.

Edit:

so you mean it's possible to create a coredump?

Last edited:

Tung Fu Rue's Prize Student
20 Year Member
Raz,

I'd love to test out the overclocking corruption fix. Let me know how I can assist.

-Rob

j_heiger

Crossed Swords Squire
Raz,

I'd love to test out the overclocking corruption fix. Let me know how I can assist.

-Rob

With regard to overclocking .... I was playing Pulstar and the whole screen filled up with bullets and enemies and junk and things slowed way down. Then I got an error message from the uni bios. Is this the problem that is being referred to??

j_heiger

Crossed Swords Squire
I guess thats my question .... does slowdown indicate overclocking, or is that something you do intentionally. Forgive my ignorance but when I hear the term overclock I imagine it means that the system is taxed to the max so to speak, and would then cause slowdown. Sorry if this really isn't the place to discuss this.

Razoola

Staff member
20 Year Member
well no (but cool about savestates exchanger/convertor with mame...nice feature!),
I mean the so called "bookmarks" in the mvs "test-switch" menu.
It's a list of stats like coin used per-game, average time play and else, used by arcade operators to control incomings and discard games, I heard in conjuction with some kind of pc-application.

Edit:

so you mean it's possible to create a coredump?

Ohh yea, those would be able to be saved but one would still need to create a program to retrieve the data once the backupRAM has been saved to PC.

Razoola

Staff member
20 Year Member
Raz,

-Rob

Yes, I'm waiting to see if what I changed heled any of the 2 problems mentioned.

Raz

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
I guess thats my question .... does slowdown indicate overclocking, or is that something you do intentionally. Forgive my ignorance but when I hear the term overclock I imagine it means that the system is taxed to the max so to speak, and would then cause slowdown. Sorry if this really isn't the place to discuss this.

Overclocking is increasing the CPU mhz. It would cause things to go too fast or crash.

Slow down is just caused by said game having way too much on screen for the hardware to handle. An overclock in this situation MAY fix the problem.

Just like a computer.

j_heiger

Crossed Swords Squire
For the Neo to PC function ... would it be possible to make a Boss rush in some games. Say i need practice against the bosses of a game like metal slug or pulstar. Is that the kind of thing we could program with the pc to neo function??

DanAdamKOF

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
For the Neo to PC function ... would it be possible to make a Boss rush in some games. Say i need practice against the bosses of a game like metal slug or pulstar. Is that the kind of thing we could program with the pc to neo function??
That's an awesome idea, perfectly in-line with Raz's idea of adding functionality to existing games! I gotta say this new feature has great potential!

It could also be useful to add Vs. mode to games that don't have it (so the winner wouldn't be stuck with the same character until he loses), and practice mode.

SNKNostalgia

Avid Neo-Expert
Curious to what cheats are added. Mostly ones like more blood codes to major titles and unlockables. I really like the convenience of keeping a game in US AES mode and having blood and bouncy mode. Still just have a 2.0 in my Neo :lolz: . I definitely will upgrade this time around.