green screen of death.

pha

n00b
my new to me Neo Geo 1 slot displays the following screen on boot up and stays on it...
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y145/pharoah007/DSC04237.jpg

If my memory serves me correctley form 10-15 years ago, Neo Geo's displayed this screen on boot up for a second or 2 before getting on with "business"

I did a quick search for 5-10 min and did not find anything on this.

could it be

Dirty cartridge
or
Dirty PCB cartridge slot
or
dip switch settings
or
Pooched PCB

it did the same thing with 2 different game carts.

This is in a standard JAMMA cabinet and the 1 slot is set to Mono
I think it is a MV-1 and looks like this
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y145/pharoah007/DSC04234.jpg

the dips are set like this...

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y145/pharoah007/DSC04239.jpg

If any more info is needed I am happy to supply it!

Thanks in advance everyone.

NGT

J. M Club, ,
20 Year Member
if I'm looking at that dip switch setting right, your game is just paused. (I can't see which direction is on or off because of the flash) Make sure #8 is off. I have all of my dips off but #7, which is free play. #1 gets you into the test menu.

Last edited:

pha

n00b
if I'm looking at that dip switch setting right, your game is just paused. (I can't see which direction is on or off because of the flash) Make sure #8 is off. I have all of my dips off but #7, which is free play. #1 gets you into the test menu.

GOOD NEWS. I have company over now and they are enjoying MK1 at the moment.
i do not want to rip apart the cab to test this when they are having so much fun!

I will set the dips and test in the morning. I will be sure to post back here with my results!

Thanks man!

P.S. do you have a link to what the dips do on my PCB?

channelmaniac

Mr Neo Fix-it
15 Year Member
It'll still be green in the morning.

Stuck on green = calendar chip problem.

RJ

pha

n00b
It'll still be green in the morning.

Stuck on green = calendar chip problem.

RJ

Arrg. What is the solution to this problem?

is said calendar chip a eeprom? if so I know someone that can burn me a new one.

any info is appreciated.

Quick search showes I can put a UniBIOS in it. Can someone plez explain this to me in "quick and dirty" terms?

also can the on board battery just be snipped off to save problems from occurring?

Last edited:

NGT

J. M Club, ,
20 Year Member
GOOD NEWS. I have company over now and they are enjoying MK1 at the moment.
i do not want to rip apart the cab to test this when they are having so much fun!

I will set the dips and test in the morning. I will be sure to post back here with my results!

Thanks man!

P.S. do you have a link to what the dips do on my PCB?

scroll down to page 10. If you still need it.

http://www.hardmvs.com/manuals/MV-1FZServiceManual.pdf

Last edited:

pha

n00b
ok I found the unibios home page with download.

can someone plez point me to the chip that I need to replace with a new unibios chip

thnx

buaku

Hardened Shock Trooper
I thought at one time my screen tended to stay green if I didn't have enough voltage getting to it.
It's been awhile so I may be remembering things wrong.

FairlanePhantom

Mai's Apprentice
Is it stuck on that screen, or keeps loading that screen? The last I saw of such a problem, it involved bad traces on the board itself leading to one of the chips and after jumping those traces, the board worked fine.

channelmaniac

Mr Neo Fix-it
15 Year Member
It can be caused by:

Bad Chip (D4990)

Bad 32.768KHz crystal (connected to the chip)

No power to the chip (caused by a bad trace. It should have 3.6v on the chip with the game turned off and 5v on the same pins with the game turned on. Granted, if the game isn't played much the 3.6v battery may be dead... those pins should still get 5v on them wtih the power on)

Scratched trace on the board (one of the several lines leading to/from the chip other than power)

RJ

pha

n00b
Is it stuck on that screen, or keeps loading that screen? The last I saw of such a problem, it involved bad traces on the board itself leading to one of the chips and after jumping those traces, the board worked fine.

stuck on that screen

Will look over traces today

pha

n00b
I thought at one time my screen tended to stay green if I didn't have enough voltage getting to it.
It's been awhile so I may be remembering things wrong.

will test voltages today.

I will test the 12V and 5V (is the 5V used on my pcb?)

how close do the respective voltages need to be? (12V & 5V)

pha

n00b
It can be caused by:

Bad Chip (D4990)

Bad 32.768KHz crystal (connected to the chip)

No power to the chip (caused by a bad trace. It should have 3.6v on the chip with the game turned off and 5v on the same pins with the game turned on. Granted, if the game isn't played much the 3.6v battery may be dead... those pins should still get 5v on them wtih the power on)

Scratched trace on the board (one of the several lines leading to/from the chip other than power)

RJ[/QUOTE

thanks man.

Anyone got a pic with location of the various chips labeled?

edojapan76

n00b
If it helps any time I have gotten that screen on my long board or my c1 it was a dirty cart.

channelmaniac

Mr Neo Fix-it
15 Year Member
In the pic of your board, it's just to the left of the battery... there's a little silver cylinder next to it - that' the 32khz crystal.

I've never seen one stuck on green due to a dirty cart. You can rule that out by simply powering up the board with no cart installed. If it goes to the crosshatch screen then you have a a dirty cart or slot.

RJ

buaku

Hardened Shock Trooper
will test voltages today.

I will test the 12V and 5V (is the 5V used on my pcb?)

how close do the respective voltages need to be? (12V & 5V)

For my 6 slot I had to be around 4.8V for it to start playing nice. Lower than that and some games might run and some games might not. I've never messed around too much with the sound, so I'd say it should be as close to 12V as you can get without going over. When I first got my board I never used to hook up 12V, and it would run fine.

pha

n00b
In the pic of your board, it's just to the left of the battery... there's a little silver cylinder next to it - that' the 32khz crystal.

RJ

thanks again friend. Any thoughts on what the "hack" wires are doing?

also where is the D4990 chip so I can have a look at it and the traces going to and from it.

Cray

n00b
I Think Im having the same issues here.
checked all traces with a multi-meter. they "look ok".

when powered
5v on jamma connection.
>4v d4990a. ( This is the problem ) No idea why its not 5v

when not powered
3.06v on lithium 3v battery
2.98v on d4990a chip.

Can som1 help ?

BlackLord

n00b
Hello buddies,

Yesterday repair mv1c motherboard. The symptom of GreenScreenDeath. I checked everything(no found bad traces,7432 good, crystal good). The defective part neo buf chip. The 4990 IC 11 feet was a bad sign, because a short circuit neo buf. I replaced the neo buf and MV1B alive again.
IMG_0369.JPG

Last edited: