Spectre's Shockbox MVS Inserts

Spectre

Banned
Hey all, have been revisiting insert creation over the past couple of days after a massive gap since my first effort. Thought I'd post here for feedback before I submit these to southtown:

cuprock.gif

KOF 97

Alternative cover

Full cover

Alternative full cover

KOF 94

Decided to revisit my old cover and tweak it to fit my new template. :) The emphasis here is on quality of source materials and reconstructing all non-artwork elements from scratch, faithful to the original. I also try to MVS-things-up as much as possible, i.e. borrow text/layout from the MVS flyer/poster, as opposed to the AES insert where possible. All elements are extensively cleaned up and then blended together so there is as little evidence as possible of cut-n-paste photoshop patchwork.

I think the quality of the main artwork for the KOF 97 alternative cover could be better (esp the full cover) but can't find an improved sourced atm.

BIG BEAR

SHOCKbox Developer,
20 Year Member
Wow. Welcome back! It's been a minute and you've improved no doubt.
I'm personally not a fan of the alternate illustration but you did a good job.
BB

Spectre

Banned
Thanks, submitted them to southtown but they don't seem to be up yet. Hopefully they'll get added at some point.

Jag-Master

"Hey, are we done here?..., Cause I'm losing my bu
15 Year Member
Looking nice man!

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
I like the 3rd one with the full frontal original cover. Ace work! One thing and this is not your fault; I never liked the back cover fonts and theme of '97, I dunno it seems cheap to me.

Spectre

Banned
Thanks for the feedback folks, hopefully I'll find the time to do another insert soon. I'm eyeing up Double Dragon at the moment...

My inserts aren't up on Southtown yet and it's been a month, anybody know who I should poke? :)

JammaGuy

Previously I-d-o-s-k-8
Looks good man!

Thanks for the feedback folks, hopefully I'll find the time to do another insert soon. I'm eyeing up Double Dragon at the moment...

My inserts aren't up on Southtown yet and it's been a month, anybody know who I should poke? :)

^^And no, ever since Dubdubdub left I don't even know who runs South-Town. It's gone a bit downhill too..

-idosk8

Spectre

Banned
Have now sent an email via the southtown website, hope I get a response. It's put me off a bit as I was planning to order some stuff from them soon too...

JammaGuy

Previously I-d-o-s-k-8
Yeah, when I made an insert I was pumped to be able to get mine printed and shipped to me, but there is a new owner of south-town. and I no longer seem to care for the site. Back when it first came out, I personally knew the guy, and he would hook me up.

-idosk8

Spectre

Banned
Back again, this time with a quick kof99 insert to match my others. Have stolen neocvera's back cover and pm'd him hoping for his approval :)

PDF Available here

Last edited:

Spectre

Banned
Whoops, link updated :)

Preview:-

Also, I've just finished this:

Last edited:

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
how do u make those inserts- with photoshop?
would it be easy to alter an existing insert to change a black colour to the darkish grey that most classic inserts have? i mean with a color fill operation or something?
it would be good to have a (grey) classic style insert for every game. that way they match when u put them on the shelf.

Spectre

Banned
joe there are lots of classic style inserts on southtown. Yes in theory you could edit inserts in the way you describe, but it would involve a little more work than just a click of a button. Personally I don't like the grey classic inserts at all...

If you specifically wanted one of my inserts but with a grey background I could probably do that for you.

Spectre

Banned
Three more:-

Breakers Revenge back cover a minor rework of M Yagami's custom art. Puzzle Bobble a rework of Big Bear's insert, but I didn't really know how else to credit him on it as I credit him on all my inserts. I'm seriously out of webspace now so no pdf's of these yet and I'm still waiting on southtown to upload the last 3. :(

Spectre

Banned
For info, I can't seem to get southtown to do anything for me, but I've taken my self hosted pdf's down at the moment as I'm updating all of my inserts to better fit the standard insert layout theme (in terms of logos, placement of the meg count etc).

Once I'm done I'll try and get them updated on southtown, but am on the lookout for hosting elsewhere too. :eye::eye:

trebormills

Quiz Detective
Inspires me to have a go myself...in fact I already did with Aggressors of Dark Kombat. Ill have to post somewhere, I cheated and rebuilt a pdf insert from about 2 pdfs and some screen shot grabs

Could do with some hi rez art however... i redid all the text using fonts and just kept graphics. Hmmm really need to think of a place to put a jpg for people to peep at and critique. biggest concern is sort off nicking stuff from someone else's pdf

see it at my picture gallery, along with a WIP Garou cover
http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/album.php?albumid=121

Last edited:

Spectre

Banned
Good stuff! I'd stick to the "standard" layout if I were you, if you have any ambition of other people using your inserts. I started off trying to give my inserts a more unique look, but have now abandoned the idea (mostly because I'm never going to make an insert for every mvs game I buy and I want them to have a consistant look on my shelf) and reworked everything I've done.

I can hook you up with my templates if you like? :)