Italian League weaker than at any time in living memory

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Again we can agree to disagree. But it does seem to me you only consider a traditional no 9 in the mould of 80's players like linekar ,rush and voeller as strikers and you dont see the no 10 type striker or the more modern type striker with all round skill as a "striker" per se.
Maybe this is an issue of sermantics but trust me Rooney is a striker! He doesnt get in the box all the time and sometimes plays deep but the responsibility for the vast majority of the goals is on his shoulders along with a core of 3-4 players in the man utd side.

Owen is what i would call an out and out striker , the "fox in the box" as we call em in england.
Crouch is a very skilled ball player and underated player. He's twice the player jenas is. Jenas is a poor mans andy cole. Beleive it or not but emile heskey was once seen as a traditional english striker. He's reveled himself since as a fast powerful guy albeit one who falls down too easy, with underrated skill and awareness but an increasingly lousy inability to score more than 5 goals a season.

Italy do need fresh blood but in a similar vein to scholes and giggs, ADP and inzaghe are such special talents that even the older versions of them are better than 80% of what else is out there. I mean in 15 years of the premiership the UK has not produced 1 other player on the left wing with half of giggs talent let alone speed,longevity and proffesionalim. Scholes although as flamboyant a talent on the field as he is quiet off it, is less rare, Gerrard and Lampard although different in style are the same multi talented attacking central midfielders.

anyway i digress, I agree with you that toni isnt the future , at least long term, since the guy is 31. But for the next couple of years he may be as good as it gets in regards to the traditional striker in the italian side. he has replaced Vieri who looks finished at 34. I agree also that Gilardino and Aquafresca arent the future either. Neither Iaquinta or Amauri should he be naturalised. But im sure someone will emerge for the long term like rooney and owen emerged for england. What italy have at present tho is ageing albeit still brilliant superstars in ADP, Inzaghe, and Totti, and a prolific striker at club level in Toni, and squad men like Gilardino and the rest.

I don't like to call Rooney a striker because of where he actually plays on the field. On the attack he may move up with Tevez, but most of the time he's playing the AMF position. And I don't want to talk about the merits of Crouch, other than that they cease at his wife.

Acquafresca is very young. The poor guy plays for Cagliari. He needs to move to another team. He needs to go to Juventus. Home town player. It would do wonders for him. Especially to be with guys like Trez and ADP. Giuseppe Rossi did the right thing - got the fuck out of Italy and made it to the Spanish League, where people can actually score.He might be the real future of Italian strikers.

rugal2000

, Troll Me, , Cuz I is 3lit3, ,
"I don't like to call Rooney a striker because of where he actually plays on the field. On the attack he may move up with Tevez, but most of the time he's playing the AMF position. And I don't want to talk about the merits of Crouch, other than that they cease at his wife."

he's a classic no 10 striker!

gundamalpha

Rugal's Thug
I doubt Rooney will be where he's at now (hype, money) if he isn't an English. He's good, but not "legend" material. Gazza was more influential to the English team even in Euro 96 compare to Rooney in Euro 2008.

Back to Italians, where are the young bloods in their most important positions, the defense?

rugal2000

Good point. Here we are preoccupied with attack and its defence whereu got a 40 year old man still at the heart of the most powerful defence in european club football.
Making a point here as well, in the 1990's and very early 2000's it seems there were more "stars". Guys like Marco Matterazi and Andrea Pistone, and gennaro gattuso who later got into the national side and became stars were plying their trade in second rate english and scottish clubs in the late 90's.
There do seem to be a hell of a lot of south americans in defensive positions at the leading Italian clubs.

rugal2000

In regards to Rooney he's already at 23 accomplished more than Gascoigne did in a whole career and yes the champions league and premiership medals aside that also includes his contribution to the english team and worth as a player.

Who knows what Rooney would have done at euro 2004 if he hadnt got injured. His time will come at the 2010 world cup when he will be 25.

All Gascoigne did was do well at italia 90 and score that goal against scotland in euro 96. His club career was only distinguished at Rangers for a few years in the mid 90's and c'mon thats scotland for fucks sake.

Last edited:

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Good point. Here we are preoccupied with attack and its defence whereu got a 40 year old man still at the heart of the most powerful defence in european club football.
Making a point here as well, in the 1990's and very early 2000's it seems there were more "stars". Guys like Marco Matterazi and Andrea Pistone, and gennaro gattuso who later got into the national side and became stars were plying their trade in second rate english and scottish clubs in the late 90's.
There do seem to be a hell of a lot of south americans in defensive positions at the leading Italian clubs.

Come on. We're talking about Italian defence now? Other than Chiellini the rest of the defence is old, ready to go into retirement. Nesta, Cannavaro, Maldini - who is going to step up to their places?

rugal2000

"Come on. We're talking about Italian defence now? Other than Chiellini the rest of the defence is old, ready to go into retirement. Nesta, Cannavaro, Maldini - who is going to step up to their places?

er,earth to wasabi, thats exactly what im saying the defence is way older than the attack! yet we havent even discussed that!.

Now u tell me, is it down to a general decline in the quality of younger italian defenders or is it the fact that the older guard such as the above and such as cannavaro and zambrotta are THAT good and thus irreplaceable in the national side right now , even if its time to get the geritol and walking stick out chronologically speaking?

I mean lets remember these guys are world champions!