Shooter Board Adapter Project

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
On the jamma edge it would be either using the up, down, left, right or instead of those it would say x axis +, x axis -, y axis +, y axis -. Which are in the same location but just replaces the others.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member

NeoTurfMasta

DANCE DANCE KARNOV!,
20 Year Member
Wow, its been a while. Sorry for the delay in response. There's really nothing thats rocket science here in connecting the pots from an analog joystick and the x-y axis on the BB board. If you read the schematics I scanned above, it shows the pinouts. Just solder and go. Same exact theory works on the racing boards.

I need to pull out my BB board again and play. I bought a second TopGun stick to wire for second player, and never got around to it. Sorry for the dead links, I can see if I can find those old pics. They were just screen shots from the game, nothing detailing the wiring. But trust me, its truly simple to wire them together. I cut the custom plug from the BB board and wired a regular 15pin joystick adapter.

NeoTurfMasta

DANCE DANCE KARNOV!,
20 Year Member
Went ahead and created a Flickr account with the photos:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/29296069@N02/sets/

We probably need a sticky on a thread with the links to the old threads. If people are interested in videos of BBSN and RE/XR I can see about taking some video. No one really seemed to care a few years ago. Kinda surprised to see interest again.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
The game doesn't use a light gun. It uses what is basically just an analog joystick in a gun casing.

Read the thread that SamuraiShodownSensei posted the link to, you lazy bastard.
I've gone back and read most of the posts on this board I think, but I don't remember that one. Thank you for clarifying.

Same exact theory works on the racing boards.
But the racing is analog, right? You need to find the right kind of wheel with simple, non-USB, wiring. Thank you for posting the pics.

Deuce

Death Before Dishonesty, Logic Above All,
We probably need a sticky on a thread with the links to the old threads. If people are interested in videos of BBSN and RE/XR I can see about taking some video. No one really seemed to care a few years ago. Kinda surprised to see interest again.

I'd be very interested. I've never actually seen what any of the non-fighters even look like.

NeoTurfMasta

DANCE DANCE KARNOV!,
20 Year Member
But the racing is analog, right? You need to find the right kind of wheel with simple, non-USB, wiring. Thank you for posting the pics.

USB probably doesnt even matter. I used a PSX wheel, ripped out the PSX guts, and wired directly to the analog "pots" and buttons on the wheel. Same goes for the pedals. Both accelerate and brake are analog pots. If you just compare the schematics and wire directly to the pots its easy as pie.

As long as its not a digital wheel/pedal combo, you can rig it. It all goes back to the wiring diagram. Follow the traces and solder away. I'll pull my stuff out of the closet and work on doing a full run of all 3 games.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
USB probably doesnt even matter. I used a PSX wheel, ripped out the PSX guts, and wired directly to the analog "pots" and buttons on the wheel. Same goes for the pedals. Both accelerate and brake are analog pots. If you just compare the schematics and wire directly to the pots its easy as pie.

As long as its not a digital wheel/pedal combo, you can rig it. It all goes back to the wiring diagram. Follow the traces and solder away. I'll pull my stuff out of the closet and work on doing a full run of all 3 games.
A little advanced compared to any controller wiring I've done thus far, but you make it sound simple enough. I've always imagined analog wiring to be some mysterious complicated thing. Thanks.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Went ahead and created a Flickr account with the photos:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/29296069@N02/sets/

Sweet pics, I would love to see some vids.

NeoTurfMasta

DANCE DANCE KARNOV!,
20 Year Member
Pulled out BBSN this morning and plugged it in. Hasnt been powered up in about 2 years, but seems to work just fine. Might take a few days to rig up an s-vid converter.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
A little advanced compared to any controller wiring I've done thus far, but you make it sound simple enough. I've always imagined analog wiring to be some mysterious complicated thing. Thanks.

Nope....

From what I can tell, it's pretty damn simple....

You have a pair of pots......

and you wire them up......

Of course the pot has to be within a certain value.. But most pcbs/setups allow you to calibrate....

NeoTurfMasta

DANCE DANCE KARNOV!,
20 Year Member
Of course the pot has to be within a certain value.. But most pcbs/setups allow you to calibrate....

Exactamundo. BB and RE/XR games have calibration settings. Point Gun Upper Left - Fire, Point Gun Lower Right - Fire, calibrated.

Steering wheel right - accelerate pedal, Steering wheel left - accelerate pedal, calibrated. Same technology since forever. The pot is centered with a value of '0', right will be a positive value, left will be a negative value.

I'm not much of a FAQ, or How-To writer. My only suggestion is do a bit of research on how potentiometers (pots) work, and maybe familiar yourself with how other analog arcade games are done. 99% of analog gun (not optical) and driving games use the exact same principle.

Though the older you get, there may not be a software calibrator built into the game. Remember the old analog sticks from Commodore 64 days? Some had little dials at the bottom where you would calibrate it. But not with the Driving/Shooting HNG64 games. All the calibration is done in the bios settings.

Last edited:

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Exactamundo. BB and RE/XR games have calibration settings. Point Gun Upper Left - Fire, Point Gun Lower Right - Fire, calibrated.

Steering wheel right - accelerate pedal, Steering wheel left - accelerate pedal, calibrated. Same technology since forever. The pot is centered with a value of '0', right will be a positive value, left will be a negative value.

I'm not much of a FAQ, or How-To writer. My only suggestion is do a bit of research on how potentiometers (pots) work, and maybe familiar yourself with how other analog arcade games are done. 99% of analog gun (not optical) and driving games use the exact same principle.

Though the older you get, there may not be a software calibrator built into the game. Remember the old analog sticks from Commodore 64 days? Some had little dials at the bottom where you would calibrate it. But not with the Driving/Shooting HNG64 games. All the calibration is done in the bios settings.

This is always good to remember if you can get a no old non working Sit Down Cab... You should be able to convert them over to a new console...

Play forza in a Cruisin Cab...

NeoTurfMasta

DANCE DANCE KARNOV!,
20 Year Member
Well, Beast Busters board is fried. Not sure what happened, but when I was about to begin the capture process its spouted out RAM errors and crashed. The IO board is dead so it renders the cart unusable. Got to play it one last time this morning. "Fucking pissed" doesnt being to describe my mood. Maybe one day I'll buy another, but for now I'm not bothering with this shit.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Well, Beast Busters board is fried. Not sure what happened, but when I was about to begin the capture process its spouted out RAM errors and crashed. The IO board is dead so it renders the cart unusable. Got to play it one last time this morning. "Fucking pissed" doesnt being to describe my mood. Maybe one day I'll buy another, but for now I'm not bothering with this shit.

WTF happened? Maybe a ground loop?

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
This is the worst thing that has ever happened. Now we'll never get vids and who will save Christmas?

Bibliophile

, I liek DragonWarrior
I have a Beast Busters Cab project and spare mobo. When I get some free time, I may undertake to continue this project.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
I have a Beast Busters Cab project and spare mobo. When I get some free time, I may undertake to continue this project.

If you could document the value of the gun pots... That would be really really cool.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
If anyone is looking to pick up one of those Topgun Joysticks, PM ME...

I have one for $10+Shipp

Hypnos

War Room Troll
What are you selling? A joystick combatible with second nightmare?...

I have a Hyper NG 64 rev 2 connect with a Super Gun with JAMMA. Can I buy the Second Nightmare Board and play with him?...

Greetings!

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
What are you selling? A joystick combatible with second nightmare?...

I have a Hyper NG 64 rev 2 connect with a Super Gun with JAMMA. Can I buy the Second Nightmare Board and play with him?...

Greetings!
The driving and shooting games don't work with the Rev 2 board.

And by the way, the Hyper Neo Geo 64 is "her" not "him."

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
The driving and shooting games don't work with the Rev 2 board.

And by the way, the Hyper Neo Geo 64 is "her" not "him."
I honestly don't think they work with rev one either. HNG64 has shooting boards and driving boards separate. Hell, I'm sure I read that in one of the manuals, if I'm wrong so be it, but I have a strong feeling I'm not.