Shooter Board Adapter Project

I am working on making an adapter for the HNG64 Shooter board and am seeking advice from others with some experience or knowledge on adapters and wiring or whatever. I'll update this post as I run into problems and as answers are found so future owners of the shooter mobo can look here to find out how the hell to make it work :).

----------
(7/17/08)
I figured out that there are 5 wires that go from the mobo to the monitor, video-wise.

WHITE: Video Sync
BLACK: Video GND (? The last 3 letters were smudgy so I could have some wrong letters...)
RED: Video R
GREEN: Video G
BLUE: Video B

I want to adapt these 5 wires to the yellow wire that plugs into TV's. I know it's more complicated than just stripping them and twisting them together, so does anyone have any thoughts on how to do this?

I could also try and put the wires to a JAMMA fingerboard, but have no idea what wire goes where...help???

Pas

Camel Slug
I want to adapt these 5 wires to the yellow wire that plugs into TV's. I know it's more complicated than just stripping them and twisting them together, so does anyone have any thoughts on how to do this?

http://www.neobitz.com/Pages/Mods/SystemMods.aspx

You are basically consolizing or making a supergun for the unit then? You may run into some trouble with the gun setup when changing sync rates since TV and the HNG64 are different.

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Just use a supergun and then worry about wiring up everything else that's needed. No point making this even more complicated than it has to be. You'll never complete it.

Just use a supergun and then worry about wiring up everything else that's needed. No point making this even more complicated than it has to be. You'll never complete it.

Aren't superguns JAMMA only? I thought about getting a fingerboard and making my board JAMMA compatible, but don't know where to start.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Superguns are setup as jamma BUT people make converters for certain games to wrk with the jamma pinout.

Neo Alec

20 Year Member
Aren't superguns JAMMA only? I thought about getting a fingerboard and making my board JAMMA compatible, but don't know where to start.
You should be able to connect a standard supergun, then worry about what you will do with the auxiliary connectors, and the major differences on the jamma pinout (if any) after you've got the jamma connected. That should get you started. No reason to reinvent the wheel here.

Neat! Now, how would it exactly "connect" to a standard supergun? I've never used one. I'll post some pictures later for reference.

Neo Alec

20 Year Member
How do you intend to fulfill this project unless you have basic knowledge of superguns? Better get started.

I really don't want to shell out for a supergun if it doesn't work with a shooter board, but if you say so... What's a good brand? Names or links?

Also, if I use a supergun, would I still need to be able to plug in my mobo? Because there is no plug on it and I wouldn't know how to make one for it.

Neo Alec

20 Year Member
Ask someone here to make you one. If you're going to setup a Hyper to run on the TV, I'm surprised you don't already have a supergun to play other arcade boards.

Hewitson

Metal Slug Mechanic
Make your own supergun. If you want something done properly you have to do it yourself.

Lochlan

Igniz's Servent
Make your own supergun. If you want something done properly you have to do it yourself.

This is simply untrue -- there are many awesome superguns available, especially the exotic Japanese ones like a Sigma or something.

Furthermore, although a supergun is a pretty easy circuit to build, for a total electronics novice even "simple" things like proper soldering technique can be a huge hurdle.

I want to adapt these 5 wires to the yellow wire that plugs into TV's.

OK what you are talking about here is "encoding" the RGB signal into a "composite" signal. Essentially: "RGB" splits up all the different color and sync signals to get the best-possible image quality; and a "composite" video signal ("the yellow wire") is all of those signals mashed together into one -- resulting in some loss of quality.

To accomplish this you need to run the RGB signal through a "video encoder" to convert it to a composite, S-Video, or component signal. This is most of the work when it comes to building a supergun. Technically you can take the proper IC and build your own circuit, but I would strongly reccomend that you buy a jrok -- if you want to go to the trouble of building a supergun yourself.

Frankly, this will be a crapload of work for you. It's certainly not impossible, and there are many people willing to help out, but you might be better off just buying a cab or a supergun built by somebody else.

Start by googling "supergun jamma" or something if building your own is the route you want to take. And regardless of what you decide to do, I highly reccomend that you try researching some of this on your own before asking too many questions. The sheer volume of information might be overwealming at first, and nobody wants to hold your hand if you won't put in a bit of effort.

Hewitson

Metal Slug Mechanic
This is simply untrue -- there are many awesome superguns available, especially the exotic Japanese ones like a Sigma or something.
They're not bad, however they don't even come close to comparing with the ones I build in terms of features.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member

You should always make your own supergun. It's just better that way. In case something goes wrong down the line, you will have some kind of sense on how to fix the problem rather than just shelling out money.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
He did of course but his page doesn't work anymore so no valuble info we can use.

NTM has a bunch of great Hyper 64 hacks that are talked about but none described in detail except for the jamma mod for the rev1 fighting board.

Thanks for the link even though his site's down. I PMed him for a couple of tips.

I noticed he didn't use any of the original wire plugs. I have them, but they are all severed at about 6 in...

Neo Alec

20 Year Member
What would you use instead of the original plugs? Wouldn't that be the best option?

What would you use instead of the original plugs? Wouldn't that be the best option?

My thoughts exactly.. I might just break down and buy a supergun from an experienced builder or make one..

I've been looking around and after finding the Jamma pinout and looking at the wiring section of the BB2 manual, it really doesn't seem that hard to make this happen. I just don't know how to make a joystick work as the gun wiring-wise...

**EDIT:
I'm also confused about powering this up. There are 2 plugs for power. The wires on one (2 red. 2 black) lead into the game and into the board and the other one is just backup I believe... How much voltage, exactly, should go into this thing? I'm sure all Hypers use the same amount..

Last edited:

Neo Alec

20 Year Member
You're not trying to use a joystick to control the gun, right? I can't see how a joystick would substitute for a light gun.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Can't you just buy say a time crisis arcade gun and use that with the Hyper?

Lochlan

Igniz's Servent
You're not trying to use a joystick to control the gun, right? I can't see how a joystick would substitute for a light gun.

The game doesn't use a light gun. It uses what is basically just an analog joystick in a gun casing.

Read the thread that SamuraiShodownSensei posted the link to, you lazy bastard.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Ya for BBSN the gun is actually just a positional joystick to control the crosshairs.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Why the fuck do people think that all of these games use a Light gun?????????

Yeah the link that was given says a Top Gun brand joystick works great. How would that work with the JAMMA pinout? Or would it need to wire directly to the board?