Considering a Purchase of a Hyper64

klargon

n00b
All complete and sealed in their original boxes. The seller assured me that the board is a Revision 2, yet it only seems to have a volume wheel rather than a knob. It's hooked up through my supergun for now, and it all seems fine. What part of the Rev 1 isn't jamma compatible? I was led to believe that a Rev 1 wouldn't give me audio through a standard JAMMA connection.

Deuce

Death Before Dishonesty, Logic Above All,
Primarily just the sound and extra power cable. If the sound is coming through your JAMMA connector, then you likely have a Rev2. Rev1s have a big (about 1/3" wide) black knob sticking out of the same end with the JAMMA edge. Rev2s have no knob, but a small potentiometer/wheel to control the volume over in the corner of the board. Rev2s also have a boatload of extra molex connectors that don't appear to be used for anything.

This is a Rev1. If you have this, you'll want to make sure you run the extra power cable, or you will eventually burn out the board (and worse, the game in it).

H64.jpg

This is a Rev2. Completely JAMMA compatible. If you have this, then no worries.

hng64.jpg

Last edited:

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
If you have an MVS/Jamma switch, it's a Rev 2. If your supergun is MVS stereo compatible, make sure you're switched to MVS for stereo sound.

klargon

n00b
Thanks for the pictures - it's definitely a Rev. 2 looking at those. I have no idea if my Supergun is MVS compatible. I'm guessing not. Cheers for your help, guys.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
Don't play your games with mono sound, man. Come on.

Deuce

Look on the bottom of the board. There's a tiny dipswitch that'll either say JAMMA or MVS.

One thing of note, and this may just be a quirk of my own board... but I can only access test mode (run a wire from pin 1 to pin 15) in one of the modes. Can't remember which off the top of my head, but odd, nonetheless.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
One thing of note, and this may just be a quirk of my own board... but I can only access test mode (run a wire from pin 1 to pin 15) in one of the modes. Can't remember which off the top of my head, but odd, nonetheless.
There's a simple reason for that. See the difference in pinout? Test isn't on pin 15 on an MVS board.

Deuce

Nice setup. I've considered commissioning someone to make me an MVS/JAMMA supergun with component and s-video outs, but the timing and finances never seem to match up. I've got two Rev1 boards in storage, while my Rev2 gets all the use.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
Just wiring the gun for MVS stereo sound works fine with standard jamma boards. I'm not sure why everyone acts like it doesn't. Just wire common ground for both jacks and jamma outputs mono sound on both.

Deuce

Ah, but I have an old Sigma-7000 with a kludgy adapter to let me use Neo sticks (no joysticks included, and the plugs are pinout-unknown 12-pin rectangular Samsung beasts), and I can't find an s-video cable for... I want a custom supergun that's more suited to my personal needs.

Plus, my soldering skills suck. Hence my desire to have someone custom-build one to my specs. One like yours would rock, since it would also cover all bases with the Rev1 boards.

Angel

Morden's Lackey
wait wait wait a second. I just started reading this thread. You can hook a Hyper 64 up to a normal MVS cab and it will work? Both boards will work, you can play MVS and Hyper 64 games????

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
The Rev 2 can be switched from jamma to MVS pinout by flipping a switch. MVS and Hyper games are totally different carts.

Angel

Morden's Lackey
i understand they are totally different carts, but the Hyper 64 can be connected to the MVS I already have and it would work, so playing hyper 64 and MVS games is as easy as just flipping a switch?

Deuce

No. The point is that you can put a Hyper board or an MVS board into the same cabinet with zero compatibility issues. They have identical pinouts, but there is also a DIP switch on the Hyper to make the board 100% JAMMA compatible.

Grinwing

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
Just make sure that you buy the Rev 2 board and not the Rev 1.

With the Rev 2 there is a switch on the board to toggle between MVS pinout and jamma pinout. This switch doesn't exist on the Rev 1 board.

Angel

Morden's Lackey
ok. Rev 2. got it. But my main question is, I can have BOTH systems hooked into the same cab right? It would just be disconnecting the 1 from the other in order to play them right? Like to play the MVS I would have to disconnect the hyper 64?

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Pretty much. Given that both boards are pretty good size, specially multi slot MVS boards, I think you can have one at a time in there. In my case I use one of my MV425 for my Hyper needs, but I didn't remove the 4 slot board, I just place the Hyper board in top of the MV4F board, I just separate the 2 with a piece ofcardboard to avoid scratching the 2 agains each other. This way I can always remove the HYper board if the occassion calls for it and still have my 4 slot gaming on the run.

You need to get more familiar with your cab man! Read, there's tons of imformation out there, all you have to do is some research.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Pretty much. Given that both boards are pretty good size, specially multi slot MVS boards, I think you can have one at a time in there. In my case I use one of my MV425 for my Hyper needs, but I didn't remove the 4 slot board, I just place the Hyper board in top of the MV4F board, I just separate the 2 with a piece ofcardboard to avoid scratching the 2 agains each other. This way I can always remove the HYper board if the occassion calls for it and still have my 4 slot gaming on the run.

You need to get more familiar with your cab man! Read, there's tons of imformation out there, all you have to do is some research.

This.

If you can fit them both in your cab and have a rev 2 all you need to do is switch the jamma harness from one mobo to the other.

Angel

Morden's Lackey
Yeah I looked in there, there's not a whole lot of room, I think I can hack something together, add a removable shelf in there or something to get them both in and still be able to remove MVS carts, I need to do some research and get the dimensions of the Hyper 64 system itself to see if it's possible.

Is it just me or are Hyper 64 systems rather cheap?

Jaelus

Over Top Auto Mechanic
15 Year Member
I have both a 4 slot MVS board and a Hyper board in my 4 slot big red - I just mounted the hyper board on one of the sides under the 4 slot shelf and rotated the 4 slot board so the jamma harness connector was on the side near that. I had to do some rerouting to get the harness to extend where I wanted it to but it worked fine. Granted I can only access it to change the cart from the back panel, but it's not like I'm changing the games in the hyper very often.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
This.

If you can fit them both in your cab and have a rev 2 all you need to do is switch the jamma harness from one mobo to the other.

Brother, I wrote the book on mcguivering stuff. I rather not do that though as sometimes I use the hyper on one of my candies like the MVU4 or just play it with the SGun, so I like it loose as it doesn't have a permanent cab for now until I get my hands on a Hyper 64 Neo Candy.

Thanks though.

Last edited: