What are the best old school shooters for the PSP?

lidiaandmichael

Crazed MVS Addict
I have seen alot of people state that the PSP has alot of real good old school shooting games. Which ones are the best? Thanks:D

dark penguin

Mai's Tabloid Photographer
I have seen alot of people state that the PSP has alot of real good old school shooting games. Which ones are the best? Thanks:D

Old school as in emulated versions/ports of the classics?

Well, The Gradius/Salamander collections are really well done, for starters. Capcom Classics collection vol 1 has Varth...always a good standby. There's a remake of Super Star Soldier...etc etc etc

If you're going for that kind of thing, you might as well hack your PSP and run some emulators...it'll open up a lot more doors :D

JoshuaMiller

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
There are several compilations that are pretty decent, if you enjoy the original games. Parodius is my favorite, but there's also a Bee storm and Gradius comp, as well as a couple others.

Not sure if they came out in the US or not, I have the Japanese versions.

subcons

I take no official position on the issue.,
The Gradius, Salamander, and Parodius are all great, as is Star Soldier (I don't like Twinbee all that much, but if you're into that series, it's a good compilation). Plus you can play all the PS1 shooters on the PSP—(Do)DonPachi, Einhander, R-Types, Raiden games, Strikers, Thunderforce V, Zanac X Zanac, etc., just to name a few.

Get into emulation and you've got all the shooters on all the 8/16-bit consoles as well as any that were on CPS1/2 and Neo Geo. There are also some good homebrews like noiz2sa and rRootage.

Like dark penguin said, you really should just buy a PSP with the intention of running a custom firmware on it so you can take full advantage of what's available to you. The Capcom and SNK comps are okay, but you can emulate all those and every other game on that hardware perfectly.

dark penguin

The Gradius, Salamander, and Parodius are all great, as is Star Soldier (I don't like Twinbee all that much, but if you're into that series, it's a good compilation). Plus you can play all the PS1 shooters on the PSP—(Do)DonPachi, Einhander, R-Types, Raiden games, Strikers, Thunderforce V, Zanac X Zanac, etc., just to name a few.

Get into emulation and you've got all the shooters on all the 8/16-bit consoles as well as any that were on CPS1/2 and Neo Geo. There are also some good homebrews like noiz2sa and rRootage.

Like dark penguin said, you really should just buy a PSP with the intention of running a custom firmware on it so you can take full advantage of what's available to you. The Capcom and SNK comps are okay, but you can emulate all those and every other game on that hardware perfectly.

I really need to get a new slim, although it would actually be for legit releases and not CFW, as I've pretty much got most of that covered with my GP2X. I still have a stack of PSP games and I really want R Type Command.

but, re: CFW...it's pretty sad when the users can get better emulation for free versus what Capcom and SNK are trying to sell us. I hear the recent SNK comp is a big pile of poor emulation.

subcons

How do I play all of PS1 shooters on my PSP? How do I get into the emulation?

If you own a PS1 game, it's as easy as running the ISO through a program to make a file the PSP can run (an EBOOT). There are numerous places around the internet you can obtain most any game you desire as well.

There are a bunch of places to look for info about emulation. There is a stickied thread over on GameFAQs on the PSP hardware board that has a wealth of well organized info. QJ.net and the message boards over at DCemu were the places I visited most. For any specific things like installation of things, Google is your friend.

dark penguin

One thing I'll add to this thread...

As far as handheld shooters go, the BulletGBA homebrew app is great for quick bursts of shmups on the go. It's a "greatest hits" of manic shmup bullet curtains:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2rI0Sw1bHLM

Anyone run this on a PSP via a GBA emu? I run it on my micro...very smooth, and TATEs nicely, but it cramps the hell out of my hands. I imagine it would be awesome on a PSP.

subcons

Anyone run this on a PSP via a GBA emu? I run it on my micro...very smooth, and TATEs nicely, but it cramps the hell out of my hands. I imagine it would be awesome on a PSP.

Thanks for the suggestion! I just threw it on my PSP and it works perfectly under gpSP.

hokutoshinken

Crossed Swords Squire
One thing I'll add to this thread...

As far as handheld shooters go, the BulletGBA homebrew app is great for quick bursts of shmups on the go. It's a "greatest hits" of manic shmup bullet curtains:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2rI0Sw1bHLM

I want that BAD. I would play the shit out of that on my micro. Too bad I get all confused when I try to run emu's on my PSP. I got Genesis, PC Engine and NES to run fine. SNES works but like shit. Can't get the others working right. Wish I could get MAME to run most of all.

dark penguin

Thanks for the suggestion! I just threw it on my PSP and it works perfectly under gpSP.

Nice...good to hear it runs well. I'm a big fan of the Bullet GBA project. Probably my favorite homebrew app. I will keep the zip file handy for when I get around to buying another PSP. Guess I'll throw it on my GP2X too, and see how it works.

dark penguin

I want that BAD. I would play the shit out of that on my micro. Too bad I get all confused when I try to run emu's on my PSP. I got Genesis, PC Engine and NES to run fine. SNES works but like shit. Can't get the others working right. Wish I could get MAME to run most of all.

There is a thread somewhere here about MAME on the PSP. I know the PSP GBA emu is supposed to be pretty good...you should just play around with the clockspeed settings etc.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
How do I play all of PS1 shooters on my PSP? How do I get into the emulation?

go on craigslist.org and look for someone that will hack your PSP for you. Usually people charge $5 and after that it's easy to figure out using the google machine.

subcons

Get the latest gpSP. It's pretty much the same as any other emu. The only unique thing about it is that the game you're running has to match the list in the game_config.txt file. Those are mostly all US titles. I couldn't get Steel Empire (JP or EU version) working even though I tried adding it to the list. US games run fine from my experience though.

Which SNES emu are you using? Most of the games I throw at snes9xTYL run pretty good without any tweaking of settings. The only ones of note for me that don't run well are the Turrican games which is a big disappointment.

MAME simply hasn't been developed enough on the PSP and probably never will be. Stuff past the mid 80's doesn't even run and you'll be lucky if anything before that has a good enough frame rate to even be playable.

subcons

You're not missing much:)

I used to own the JP version when I had a GBA. I liked it, but it did feel cramped compared to the MD version (which is perfectly playable on the PSP of course). So yeah, I'm not too sad about it.

dark penguin

I used to own the JP version when I had a GBA. I liked it, but it did feel cramped compared to the MD version (which is perfectly playable on the PSP of course). So yeah, I'm not too sad about it.

I really like the overall look and feel of the game, but after about a level or two I found it quite boring. Thumbs up to the art direction, though.

subcons

I really like the overall look and feel of the game, but after about a level or two I found it quite boring. Thumbs up to the art direction, though.

Yeah, it was so brightly colored compared to the greyness of the MD game. I played it enough at work to be able to get into Stage 4 on a credit, but it just became so brutally hard beyond there that I never even beat it.