The World Cup Memories Thread.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
I just wanted to us to share thoughts memories and expectations of previous and forthcoming world cups, just 'cause is the greatest event ever!

I'm gonna start with Italy '90 'cause I was there to support my Colombian League with all kinds of noise and tears.

This particular year we had the best line up this country has ever seen, I mean if Valderrama and Iguita weren't enough we also had Rincon, Uzurriaga and Valencia, this was the cup were everyone speculated top 4 guiven all the "friendly games" which nowdays mean very little as far as expectations go.

Well unfortunately that particular game in the 8th's of the final against the understimated Cameroon ended with shame from our part. In a haze of delusions of Grandeur Iguita pretty much handed them the game...

...it was a sad day in Colombian Football history and I was there with all kinds of mixed emotions, I was 13 at the time and I didn't understand the reasons behind this tragedy, but soon I became aware of the intricacies of South American Football.

Well, that's just one and perhaps one of the most hurtfull memories I have from the World Cup. I will leave the USA '94 fiasco for another post.

Keep in Mind that Germany won that cup undefeated yet COlombia was the only team that managed to have a tie 1-1 with Germany under the Schumager coaching I believe.

Last edited:

Neo Geo MVS

Igniz's Servent
I also have some memories from the 90 World Cup and it was in the final when Monzon got red carded and I couldnt stop screaming at the T.V. :lolz: it was a very sad day because we (Argentina) lost the final to germany. But it was meant to be Argentina had lost against Cameroon in the first game in their group and it was a sign for worse things to come.

2point0

NEST Puppet
USA 94

Leonardo cracking Tab Ramos' skull.

Zola with the strange red card against Nigeria.

thinking Martin Dahlin looks like OJ Simpson

Letchkov's hair

Paying $20 to rent a 13" TV at a Munich hotel/motel to watch the final.

France 98

Baggio barely making the late penalty to tie the game up against Paraguay in the first game for Italy at France 98.

Japan/South Korea 02

Ronaldo's hair

Germany 06

Klinsmann and the plain white dress shirt with no tie or jacket.

The US being bad in all WC in Europe and being better on other continents.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
back in the '90s, Colombia was about Asprilla. That guy had all the right moves.

But what people remember are either Valderama's hair or Escobar giving the US team one of it's only wins. Sad case, that Escobar kid deserved better.

Asprilla never really did shit for Colombia in a major tournament, but he was still a bad ass.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Germany 06

Klinsmann and the plain white dress shirt with no tie or jacket.

The US being bad in all WC in Europe and being better on other continents.

add to this the Mexican team's coach, smoking cigarettes on the sidelines. That guy was a hero.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
back in the '90s, Colombia was about Asprilla. That guy had all the right moves.

But what people remember are either Valderama's hair or Escobar giving the US team one of it's only wins. Sad case, that Escobar kid deserved better.

Asprilla never really did shit for Colombia in a major tournament, but he was still a bad ass.
Asprilla was great, but you're are talking about USA '94 here, when Escobar made an autogoal, this was most embarrasing for us, but unfortunately some idiots took it to the extreme and made Escobar pay for his mistake with the ultimate price.

This are the kinds of things that make Colombian football so damn sad. Nobody plays like they used to, and to tell you the truth I think that most players are scared as most of the clubs used to be owned by "Narcos".

When I was about 15 I entered the sub-17 for America de Cali and stay there for 3 years until I had a meniscus problem and came to the United States instead since my game quality really took a dive, still I managed to play here and was looking to be playing for Seminole University, but I turn away from it as I had enough football for the time being.

Football in Colombia and I'm sure most South America is kind of a tragedy, is mostly embeded in us since birth and most of the kids dream of being professionals, although it is not like in the US where they pick players from fancy or moderate collegues, no. In Colombia the recruiters go to the worst places in the cities to find their talent, thus Asprilla was found. He's from Tulua a small town in a Valley very close to where I grew up.

Asprilla was overwhelmed by all that money coming his way, which is understandable as he was a beggar and a poorper. Unfortunately he turned to drugs and was a fan of violence and guns. One time we were in one club in Cali and I didn't know he was there until he raised his gun and made some shots in the air 'caused suppossedly some guy was looking at one of his bitches...

Asprilla was too young and too brash, he then took off and played for el Parma and he did good, but was I all about Asprilla? I don't think so man. Valderrama was not only hair man, he was a genius his midfield play is amazing, he allways has a plan and he's allways quick with it.

I don't think I've ever seen a player quite like Valderrama, the only other person I can think of that plays somewhat similar since then is Cafu' now retired.

Wanna talk about US, how about that ripp off against Germany? Is blurry now, but was that '02 or '06, man I cannot place it right this minute, I'm pretty sure it was Korea/Japan '02. God did Germany deserved to loose back then. Unlike Mexico '86 where Maradona scored a goal single handedly and I mean that literally.

recon_zero

Bub & Bob's Bubble Buddy
In the 90's I was 7 years old, I did not like Football, but I did know that Higuita had fucked up bigtime twice against Cameroon :emb:

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Asprilla was great, but you're are talking about USA '94 here, when Escobar made an autogoal, this was most embarrasing for us, but unfortunately some idiots took it to the extreme and made Escobar pay for his mistake with the ultimate price.

This are the kinds of things that make Colombian football so damn sad. Nobody plays like they used to, and to tell you the truth I think that most players are scared as most of the clubs used to be owned by "Narcos".

When I was about 15 I entered the sub-17 for America de Cali and stay there for 3 years until I had a meniscus problem and came to the United States instead since my game quality really took a dive, still I managed to play here and was looking to be playing for Seminole University, but I turn away from it as I had enough football for the time being.

Football in Colombia and I'm sure most South America is kind of a tragedy, is mostly embeded in us since birth and most of the kids dream of being professionals, although it is not like in the US where they pick players from fancy or moderate collegues, no. In Colombia the recruiters go to the worst places in the cities to find their talent, thus Asprilla was found. He's from Tulua a small town in a Valley very close to where I grew up.

Asprilla was overwhelmed by all that money coming his way, which is understandable as he was a beggar and a poorper. Unfortunately he turned to drugs and was a fan of violence and guns. One time we were in one club in Cali and I didn't know he was there until he raised his gun and made some shots in the air 'caused suppossedly some guy was looking at one of his bitches...

Asprilla was too young and too brash, he then took off and played for el Parma and he did good, but was I all about Asprilla? I don't think so man. Valderrama was not only hair man, he was a genius his midfield play is amazing, he allways has a plan and he's allways quick with it.

I don't think I've ever seen a player quite like Valderrama, the only other person I can think of that plays somewhat similar since then is Cafu' now retired.

Wanna talk about US, how about that ripp off against Germany? Is blurry now, but was that '02 or '06, man I cannot place it right this minute, I'm pretty sure it was Korea/Japan '02. God did Germany deserved to loose back then. Unlike Mexico '86 where Maradona scored a goal single handedly and I mean that literally.

The US is either an underachiever or an overhyped team. To be honest, I have no clue why high expectations are placed on the team. It has hardly any international pedigree. The MLS is not even a 3rd rate league, with clubs going bankrupt and disappearing each season.

Germany has a way of pulling off miracles close to their home. Back in 2002, you have to remember that Kahn was almost perfect, and Ballack was more brilliant than arrogant. The US were out of their league. The only two people could could score on Kahn were the legendary Robbie Keane, and not-yet-fat Ronaldo.

Ronaldo does have an awesome fro though.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
The US is either an underachiever or an overhyped team. To be honest, I have no clue why high expectations are placed on the team. It has hardly any international pedigree. The MLS is not even a 3rd rate league, with clubs going bankrupt and disappearing each season.

Germany has a way of pulling off miracles close to their home. Back in 2002, you have to remember that Kahn was almost perfect, and Ballack was more brilliant than arrogant. The US were out of their league. The only two people could could score on Kahn were the legendary Robbie Keane, and not-yet-fat Ronaldo.

I agree with you as far as the US team expectations are concerned, but as much as I loved Germany's line up during '02 I cannot deny the fact that that ball was in there and that the game against the US was poorly judged.

The US has had it's share of calamity, I cannot remember which brazilian was it that gave that Uruguayan US player a fantanstic elbow smash surprise and left 'im good for nothing, the guys was havinf convulsions it was disastrous.

US club teams have little excitement, I am friend with one of the New England Revolution relief team members and he makes next to nothing, I think a bit of an economic incentive could aliviate this dilemma and perhaps be taken more seriously here in the US.

My favorite team up for Germany has to be the Harald Schumager run during Mexico '86. Argentina's victory was shamefull as far as I'm concerned. Germany has allways been my favorite team as far as strategy goes and their defense has allways been efficient, it must be on their genes. Klynssman is the man, and I remember when I used to think that he was flying after he scored, it was uplifting, his playing was something to behold.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
I agree with you as far as the US team expectations are concerned, but as much as I loved Germany's line up during '02 I cannot deny the fact that that ball was in there and that the game against the US was poorly judged.

The US has had it's share of calamity, I cannot remember which brazilian was it that gave that Uruguayan US player a fantanstic elbow smash surprise and left 'im good for nothing, the guys was havinf convulsions it was disastrous.

US club teams have little excitement, I am friend with one of the New England Revolution relief team members and he makes next to nothing, I think a bit of an economic incentive could aliviate this dilemma and perhaps be taken more seriously here in the US.

My favorite team up for Germany has to be the Harald Schumager run during Mexico '86. Argentina's victory was shamefull as far as I'm concerned. Germany has allways been my favorite team as far as strategy goes and their defense has allways been efficient, it must be on their genes. Klynssman is the man, and I remember when I used to think that he was flying after he scored, it was uplifting, his playing was something to behold.

Old school Germany was good. Much better to watch than now. Right now they are efficient and productive, but not charismatic. However, old school Germany had Karl Heinze Rummenigge and Lothar Matthaus. It was completely different. As much as Ballack used to be great, I dislike the guy now. I also don't like Lehmann, but I think I've said that a million times.

2point0

NEST Puppet

Watching the Euro championships makes me upset with the US national team even more.

The smaller countries teams can string three meaningful passes together. Yes, some of the better players are in the bigger European leagues, but many play in their domestic leagues and are able to perform well. The US has athletes and some individual talent, but no real cohesion. There is a level of "soccer IQ" that doesn't exist in the US game now. The last two of Spain's goals yesterday were all excellent runs with precision delivery. I can't imagine Donavan laying off those passes to Dempsey or whoever. Donavan is most effective as a finisher rather than a playmaker, but even then, would he play a significant role for any of the better national teams? I don't think so.

I actually think Adu is coming around and he'll do well as long as he doesn't press too much.

Not only do I think the MLS is terrible, but the whole organization of US soccer is terrible. Like electrigrave said, the bulk of our "best" players are rich kids who can afford to be in the right tournaments in front of the right coaches. I'm embarrassed every time I hear the promos for MLS games in the Euro Championships broadcast.

So I guess another one of my memories of the WC is thinking that the US will never be good enough to win the whole thing.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Watching the Euro championships makes me upset with the US national team even more.

The smaller countries teams can string three meaningful passes together. Yes, some of the better players are in the bigger European leagues, but many play in their domestic leagues and are able to perform well. The US has athletes and some individual talent, but no real cohesion. There is a level of "soccer IQ" that doesn't exist in the US game now. The last two of Spain's goals yesterday were all excellent runs with precision delivery. I can't imagine Donavan laying off those passes to Dempsey or whoever. Donavan is most effective as a finisher rather than a playmaker, but even then, would he play a significant role for any of the better national teams? I don't think so.

I actually think Adu is coming around and he'll do well as long as he doesn't press too much.

Not only do I think the MLS is terrible, but the whole organization of US soccer is terrible. Like electrigrave said, the bulk of our "best" players are rich kids who can afford to be in the right tournaments in front of the right coaches. I'm embarrassed every time I hear the promos for MLS games in the Euro Championships broadcast.

So I guess another one of my memories of the WC is thinking that the US will never be good enough to win the whole thing.

Adu is supposedly too small, and other players that get hyped up like Oguchi are suddenly dropped. Landon Donovan is not that great - maybe because he plays on the same pitch as Beckham who outshines everyone in the MLS, but I seriously believe Donovan is only popular because Alexie Lalas runs the US hype machine behind a haze of bong smoke.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Lothar was the man, he looked like a freaking tank back them, but to me Harald will allways be my hero, specially 'cause he was a goalie and football has had very few goalie captains.

2point0

NEST Puppet
Adu is supposedly too small, and other players that get hyped up like Oguchi are suddenly dropped. Landon Donovan is not that great - maybe because he plays on the same pitch as Beckham who outshines everyone in the MLS, but I seriously believe Donovan is only popular because Alexie Lalas runs the US hype machine behind a haze of bong smoke.

Too small as far as height or too weak? There are a lot of short players who are great. If he's too weak, that's different. In the NBA, NFL and baseball, though, players get stronger as they get older, I assume the same is true with soccer.

I feel bad for Beckham, he's does great things with the ball, but it's comical how much the team depends on him. They'll search the field for the guy with the long sleeves and try to get it to him. But inevitably, he gets the ball to the target and then what's that moron getting paid less than an elementary school teacher gonna do with it?

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
In the 90's I was 7 years old, I did not like Football, but I did know that Higuita had fucked up bigtime twice against Cameroon :emb:
That's how big his fiasco was.

The thing about Iguita is that he was possibly the best and most charismatic Goalie this world has ever seen, the problem was that he went up so fast that it got to his head and then he took the worng path. He was involved with Drug lords and he fell from grace pretty hard with his arrogance during Italy '90.

recon_zero

Bub & Bob's Bubble Buddy
I really liked 90's Germany. Klinsmann is one of my favorite players ever. He could make espectacular goals with his ass if he proposed too. Just too awesome.

I remember '94, and how all Colombia was hyped out because we made 5 goals to Argentina in BsAs. All came down too soon, and World Cup showed us that WC is not for small fries. Colombia had seen better and more epic games than that 5-0, like USSR 4 - 4 Colombia, and the best Colombia game ever, the 1-1 in Italy 90', man, that was THE game. The only team that could tie with the champion playing at their own game.

'98 was all about Brazil. Brazil beating everyone and kicking their asses. The best Brazil team we could see for a while, with Ronaldo on his prime. I still do not know what happened on the finals. rigged or not, Brazil played a horrid final, and Zidane and France mostly played a godly game. '98 was the last exciting WC I saw.

2002 was weird, I had my hopes on Argentina, my main candidate to take the cup. A lackluster Brazil won the cup, Korea making the final 4 (seriously what the fuck?, fucking up the Spaniards) and a very boring game overall. Germany even made to the finals with a very mediocre team.

2006 was slightly better, with no fucking koreans arround. Italy was my favorite for this one after Argentina, and they won the cup. I like Italy's game, and THE game for Italy was against Germany. over ther they showed the world "Hey guys we are back". 2006 was mediocre, but Italy is a great champion, and France kicked Brazil ass big time.

With 2010 near, I see the Germans getting better and maturing a lot, I see them in the finals. Yes it is way to far to call it, but the finals will be Germany - Someone, hope we can see Germany - Argentina again, those finals are always amazing and full of Drama

Arthas

Big Bang Pro Wrestler
15 Year Member
Adu? Pfft, it's all about Altidore, now there's a promising kid right there. He could always fail to reach expectations, but he's still definitely the U.S.' most promising prospect right now.

Donovan really IS good. Simply watch him play, the guy is a beast. Smart, fast, great touch. We all know he is not as good as players from other countries, that doesn't mean he's not good tho.

And my World Cup memories started in 94, I couldn't give less a shit about '90's world cup at the time since I was but a wee lad and Mexico was disqualified from it anyway.

94. 98, 2002. 2006, Mexico always moves on to the round of 16, but has NOT been able to progress further. Every 4 years, I cheer for my country with unconditional love, doesn't mean I'm a blind fan tho.

94 was probably our best world cup team in recent years, and the retarded coach did not give Hugo Sanchez minutes.

Can you imagine that? Real Madrid's historical striker at the time, and the fucking coach leaves him on the bench. Ridiculous.

Anyways
Eriksson gives me hope, he set himself the goal of having Mexico reach the quarterfinals, that's good enough for me. We have to take it step by step.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
I think Bebeto and Romario made an excellent Duo in 94' that was one of my favorite combinations. Other than Zico and Pele, I think this two deserve props. I'm a big fan of Ronaldo and Ronaldiño as well, hell most of brazil is awsome. I go back all the way to 82 I was 5 years old and I remember most games.

Man I used to be a nut with the sticker sheets "Albums" Spain '82 was defenatly one ofmy favorites con "Naranjito" and all that jazz, man I wishI kept all that stuff...

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Adu? Pfft, it's all about Altidore, now there's a promising kid right there. He could always fail to reach expectations, but he's still definitely the U.S.' most promising prospect right now.

Donovan really IS good. Simply watch him play, the guy is a beast. Smart, fast, great touch. We all know he is not as good as players from other countries, that doesn't mean he's not good tho.

And my World Cup memories started in 94, I couldn't give less a shit about '90's world cup at the time since I was but a wee lad and Mexico was disqualified from it anyway.

94. 98, 2002. 2006, Mexico always moves on to the round of 16, but has NOT been able to progress further. Every 4 years, I cheer for my country with unconditional love, doesn't mean I'm a blind fan tho.

94 was probably our best world cup team in recent years, and the retarded coach did not give Hugo Sanchez minutes.

Can you imagine that? Real Madrid's historical striker at the time, and the fucking coach leaves him on the bench. Ridiculous.

Anyways
Eriksson gives me hope, he set himself the goal of having Mexico reach the quarterfinals, that's good enough for me. We have to take it step by step.

Mexico should really try to build the team around Carlos Vela and Dos Santos, but I figure the coach will just play Borgetti until he's dead.

Arthas

Big Bang Pro Wrestler
15 Year Member
but I figure the coach will just play Borgetti until he's dead.
Fuck, I seriously hope not. Not sure if you knew but Sven Goran Eriksson is Mexico's new coach. He's just taken command a few days ago. The guy practically has 0 knowledge of Mexican football (I'm exaggerating but still), so I'm sure he'll actually be presenting the players that catch his eye and actually deserve to be on the team and not his under the table buddies like some of the previous shit coaches.

Borgetti still probably has the best forehead in the damn world, he can score a header in practically any angle. But that's all the guy is good for, he needs to stop being called up to our national team, he is slow, old, and is useless with his feet. I can think of a handful of players who should be given the opportunity to shine in the national team that have not been called up yet.

Anyways

Giovani had a real promising beginning but he has really lost his level during the past year. It's a real shame. Hopefully he can rebuild his skill over at his new Tottenham adventure.

Now Carlos Vela really is the future, I'm sure he'll do great at Arsenal.

And Guardado is Mexico's best player right now if you ask me, he plays for Deportivo la Coruña which is kind of a small club for his skill imo. I'm sure he'll be migrating to a bigger club soon.

Last edited:

Neo Geo MVS

Igniz's Servent
I really liked 90's Germany. Klinsmann is one of my favorite players ever. He could make espectacular goals with his ass if he proposed too. Just too awesome.

That header dive Klinsmann did was a great goal.
I remember '94, and how all Colombia was hyped out because we made 5 goals to Argentina in BsAs. All came down too soon, and World Cup showed us that WC is not for small fries. Colombia had seen better and more epic games than that 5-0, like USSR 4 - 4 Colombia, and the best Colombia game ever, the 1-1 in Italy 90', man, that was THE game. The only team that could tie with the champion playing at their own game.

Oh shit I remember that game it was so fukin sad to see us get our ass handed to us, I was on vacation in Buenos Aires and I watch the game with my grandfather and it was horrible how we played, that game was sergio goycochea's last game after we lost.

'98 was all about Brazil. Brazil beating everyone and kicking their asses. The best Brazil team we could see for a while, with Ronaldo on his prime. I still do not know what happened on the finals. rigged or not, Brazil played a horrid final, and Zidane and France mostly played a godly game. '98 was the last exciting WC I saw.

French rigged the final game buy getting Ronaldo sick but Zidane was the man during that world cup with his two legendary headers, but Lilian Thuram in the semifinal against croatia was brilliant with his goals that saved the day for france. My fond memory of that cup was Argentina vs England were we went to penalties and were Owen scored that great goal on us and every person in england compares it to Maradonas 86 goal, lol. We eventually lost to the dutch where Dennis Bergkamp scored that great goal at the very end, man that guy was a great soccer player he had mad control of the ball. My hats go off to that guy and to bad he didn't keep on playing, I heard we was scared of flying in planes so that effected him from playing in matches.

Note: I changed the link of his goal to a better one with Rocky theme music in it , lol.
2002 was weird, I had my hopes on Argentina, my main candidate to take the cup. A lackluster Brazil won the cup, Korea making the final 4 (seriously what the fuck?, fucking up the Spaniards) and a very boring game overall. Germany even made to the finals with a very mediocre team.

I thank god I stop watching soccer during this time and didn't witness the EMBARRASSEMENT the Argentinian national team did by not even qualifying to the next round. I fuckin hate Marcelo Bielsa for that fiasco.

Spain was ROBBED by that goal they deserved but didn't get because the ref thought that it went out of bounds when it didn't.

2006 was slightly better, with no fucking koreans arround. Italy was my favorite for this one after Argentina, and they won the cup. I like Italy's game, and THE game for Italy was against Germany. over ther they showed the world "Hey guys we are back". 2006 was mediocre, but Italy is a great champion, and France kicked Brazil ass big time.

Very interesting World Cup it shows how Germany knows how to host a World Cup. I had so much high hopes for Argentina but when Klose's goal came I knew we were in trouble. Hell I felt we were done for after our goal keeper got injured but it was his fault.

Last edited:

Neo Geo MVS

Igniz's Servent

Hell yea the MLS isn't even a 3rd rate league and I never understood why anyone would give the US national team a chance in a world cup, but little by little the US is getting more experience and hopefully one day win a world cup.

Ballack was also playing a hell of alot better back then than now.

Khan was great during this time and I cant understand why Germans blame him for that goal Ronaldo did, like they expect him to get up right after blocking a shot to be able to block the second one only fractions of a second later.