CPS-1 Port Comparison Thread II - SF2' (MD/SFC/PCE) - [revised]

Rade K

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
This has probably been done online a million times, but oh well, here we go:

No doubt about it, SF2 is one of the best games of all time. Right up there with Pac-Man and Super Mario Bros. Almost everyone's played it and every system under the sun got at least one port of one of the many, many versions. This comparison will focus on the big-three 16-bit versions. While the SNES/SFC and MD/Gen versions were handled by Capcom, in house (as far as I know), the PCE version was ported by NEC Avenue. All three versions ran at the exact same resolution and resources (sprites and backgrounds) were shared between the three, but for the purposes of making this thread, each had their advantages and disadvantages which will be identified and expanded upon.

sfcomp1b9906.png

All three versions looked pretty great and as stated above, shared most of the same graphics assets. Small differences could be seen in background details, but most everything else looked virtually identical between the three versions. Beyond graphical, pixel by pixel details, the most noticeable difference between the three versions was the use of colour. Obviously, the SNES/SFC could draw from a larger pallet of colours (32000 total and 256 at one time) so it had the most vibrant looking version. The SNES version offered smooth gradients, softer tones and a lack of dithering. The PCE could display 256 colours out of a total of only 512, which makes it's version of this game look a little less rich and a lot darker but still comparable to the smooth looking arcade and SNES versions. The MD/Genesis version suffered the most due to hardware limitations. Only being able to display 64 colours from a pallet of 512 makes this version look the least nice overall (I'm not going to say worst) but very little detail is lost from the SNES version (from which it was ported). This version definitely appears to have more contrast and dithering than the other two, which gives it that distinct MD look (love it or hate it). The PCE and MD versions are both very impressive. The PCE version especially, considering the hardware is much older (in technological years) than the SFC or MD.

sfcomp20a97a.png

Beyond colour and detail, the PCE version also suffers from some missing parallax effects (see the elephants in Dhalsim's stage) and a modified KO/Win icon bar, which looks designed to obscure the background. The elephant/parallax issue is obviously a byproduct of the PCE's 8bit heritage and is a little dissapointing. As for the KO bar, whether this was a design choice in lieu of a technical limitation, I don't know, but it doesn't look that bad at all. All of the line scrolling effects are present, thankfully.

sfcomp328c76.png

Musically, the three versions are completely different. The melodies are all the same but the presentation is different between all three. The MD version is the best (IMO), sounding the closest to the arcade version with that nice FM synth sound (minus all of the awesome samples of course). The SNES/SF version sound good , but not as aurally pleasing as the arcade/MD versions due to that typical SNES muffled sound. The PCE sounds the worst, unfortunately, with very basic and boring presentations of the classic SF tunes.

Youtube Music Comparison (not mine):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TPStQYIx6S8

sfcomp4a2813.png

Fortunately the PCE destroys with it's great sound samples. This one sounds the closest to the arcade version. It's really impressive considering the hardware. The SNES versions comes next with good, but somewhat shortened and again, muffled voice samples (as usual). The MD version is tied for last with the SNES with samples that are hindered by the hardware; they sound very scratchy. Fortunately it's not too bad and unlike the SNES version, the voices actually overlap each other. In some ways, it's better and in some, not.

Youtube Voice Comparison (not mine):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6W3BNXOO41c

sfcomp5a5640.png

Overall, all three versions were pretty awesome given their hardware and it was obvious a lot of care went into these ports. The SNES version was probably the best one overall. It had the best overall sounds and graphics, and you didn't need to buy another controler (like on the PCE and MD) to get the most out of the game. It in no way blows the other two out of the water as some would have you believe (typical SNES fanboy bullshit) but it does have a slight edge. Forget about playing the PCE and MD versions with the standard controllers. Back in the day, you were essentially forced to spend the around thirty dollars or so on new six button pads. Between the MD and PCE standard six button pads, the MD one was definitely superior, and is actually one of the best game pads ever. Playing Street Fighter (and many other MD games) with this pad is fantastic. The PCE Avenue 6 pad is good and gets the job done. The only real downer here is that the PCE version does not have a 'turbo' option (darn). No matter what version of classic 16 bit port street fighter you played back in the day (or still continue to play), you were in good hands. No one version truly is definitive (buy an arcade PCB if you want that) but for the purposes of this thread, any version you chose/choose to play is the best version.

sfcomp633bbe.png

On a final note, here's one thing the MD version has that other two ports didn't:

punchpunchf613d.png

...That pesky white on black violence (for the US Genesis version, this was changed to two white guys).

Bonus Video:

Street Fighter 2 CD MD Beta Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ReTrxUfeFJI

Curiosity:

Strange Hack (not a beta, as some would have you believe) of SF for MD that has better voice, worse music and different parallax effects (among other things): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n2Cssq-m1TA&feature=related
^Rom for this available on romnation.net as Street Fighter II Turbo

PCE Remake? Yup. Looks like a group of industrious old school PCE fans are touching up their favourite version to include originally omitted background details and an altered colour pallet: http://nfg.2y.net/neography/pivot/entry.php?id=449&w=nfg_games

Last edited:

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
I actually love comparisons like these, because it brings me back to the days when I would study my home port after coming back from the arcade. I actually want to do something like this with Fatal Fury Special, and all the ports it had.

Arcademan

Now...It's OFFICIAL!!!
20 Year Member
Excellent use of the pictures between the three versions. I played the Genesis version and definitely suffers from the lack of color compared to the other two. Still, back in the days when SFII appeared on the home consoles, it was as close to arcade than anyone had dreamed ever happening ;)

ForeverSublime

6400|!!|Kyo Clone
20 Year Member
My first impression was that the MD/Genesis version looked the best - and even after studying the pics I still hold that opinion. The colors look much better to me -> less washed out, more rich (but too vibrant in the PCE version - except for the character select screen where it works well). Better use of colors (and considering it's techinically inferior that astounds me) and more details = win win to me.

Very interesting.

Edit question: Do the colors need any adjustment? The PCE version has too much red saturation and the MD version has too much blue/green. I'm not sure, technically speaking, how that is handled in a comparison.

Last edited:

not sonic

King of Typists,
15 Year Member
i've always played the genesis ones.

so with the way everyone talks about how great the snes ones are, i was pretty let down when i finally played em.

i dont think theres that great of a difference between em. and id much rather play with the sega 6 button than the 6 button snes pads that are out there.

plus you can play the genesis one on the nomad! i used to play it all the time at my first job years ago.

though now you can get str on ds or the arcade rom on psp. still they dont have 6 buttons like the nomad.:buttrock:

i think the biggest disappointment is that super turbo didnt make it to genesis/snes/tg16.

now if i want to play sf2 its usually the cps2 board that gets popped in a cab.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
I have actually NEVER played any of the SNES Street Fighters, I grew up on Genny's Champion Edition, so to see how much better (imo) it looks compared to what so many people thought was arcade-perfect (the SNES version) back in the day is really surprising.

Great thread, Rade.

fenikso

Slug Flyer Pilot
15 Year Member
I'll always have a special place in my heart for the SNES version (the one I grew up with). With that said:

I love the PCE version. It never ceases to amaze me how much could be done on those little Hu-cards. One of these years I'm going to have to pick up a copy SF for the PCE, until then I'll have to keep playing it over at my friend's house.

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
Nice thread, just keep Airraid out of here ;)
(and I still prefer the SNES version)

Baseley09

Hair Group,
Great thread, i agree with your points tho i guess in terms of favourability, it comes down to which version you owned at the time, for me it was the PC Engine version (£65 + £35 for avenue pad 6 in 1992 ouch)m, still got it infact. The tunes are whiney its true, they do have a certain charm to them particularly Kens theme.

Steve

The Wonder Years,
Nice thread, just keep Airraid out of here ;)
(and I still prefer the SNES version)

LOL yeah, I mean, his material wasn't bad it certainly required a lot of (nerd) effort, but like we aren't all nerds deep down. Anyway, it was the way he carried himself that was lame and annoying.

I too still prefer the SNES version. Lots of good memories and I still think it's a hell of a port even today, considering the limitations of a 16-bit machine imposed on Capcom. They worked their magic.

Kiken

Camel Slug
i dont think theres that great of a difference between em. and id much rather play with the sega 6 button than the 6 button snes pads that are out there.

This. The MD 6-button pad was a Godsend.

Snuh

Sieger's Squire
Interesting read. Street Fighter 2 is the reason I bought an SNES back in the day.

Ancient Flounder

"Just walk away. Give me the pump...the oil...the
15 Year Member
Great, great thread. Never got to play the PCE version, but I played a lot of all of the versions that came out on SNES and Genesis. Being a Genesis owner, I'm still partial to those versions. Special Champion Edition was the shit.

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
If it wasn't for the sound, I'd say the Sega version is the best.

But I can't believe how good the sfx on the PC engine version are, I didn't think it was possible to edge out the SNES in the sound department.

Setsuna1982

World Her,
If it wasn't for the sound, I'd say the Sega version is the best.

But I can't believe how good the sfx on the PC engine version are, I didn't think it was possible to edge out the SNES in the sound department.

Of course you talk about SFX and not music, right?

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
got a nice rare snes/sfc sf2 hack the other day entitled SFIII- characters can do all their moves in the air - some super slow fireballs you can launch overhead and make your opponent jump into them during battle accidentally - quite funny. also some wide arching dragon punch action and ultra fast light punch and kick for some characters. a hoot.
enemy/second player sprites have gaudy colours, though if you pick one of the characters (Ken I think) all oponents are complety black including fireballs - which is damn cool.
yeah very rare haxxor game (quick plug - anyone interested in it I'll trade it for a good sfc or PS3 game :loco:)

Mushiki

flaming petrosexual,
15 Year Member
I actually love comparisons like these, because it brings me back to the days when I would study my home port after coming back from the arcade. I actually want to do something like this with Fatal Fury Special, and all the ports it had.

Agreed 3500%

Rade K

20 Year Member

Seconded. I'd be glad to help get that one done. I guess we'd be looking at the PCEArcade CD, SFC and Sega Mega CD versions, then?

not sonic

King of Typists,
15 Year Member
the genesis version is by far the closest in terms of music.

the pce one has some great and clean sfx.

since the games pretty much look identical, id say the snes's larger pallet makes it look the best.

id say the ultimate version is when you combine the three.

or just play it on 3d0, saturn, ps1, ps2, xbox, 360, or arcade.

Fran

today forever
20 Year Member
i don't mean to offend the thread starter
but this is a bit of a silly thread,in my opinion
well pointless / useless is probably the correct word
all those ports were below average so who really cares
it's like picking the best from a bad bunch :emb:

garou densetsu special,well,the only "passable" conversion is the x68000 one
i made a post about it in my x68000 thread

http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2527858&postcount=40

and yes,it's all in italian.i couldn't be arsed with english.

Rade K

20 Year Member
i don't mean to offend the thread starter

Yes you do, you chubby little fanboy. :)

but this is a bit of a silly thread,in my opinion
well pointless / useless is probably the correct word
all those ports were below average so who really cares
it's like picking the best from a bad bunch :emb:

garou densetsu special,well,the only "passable" conversion is the x68000 one
i made a post about it in my x68000 thread

http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2527858&postcount=40

and yes,it's all in italian.i couldn't be arsed with english.

The whole point is nostalgia, I think. We all obsessed over the pictures of the ports in EGM as kids (well, I did), so stacking these pictures up next to each other is fun. The whole point is fun.

I figured this whole thread was Fran bait. It's all a matter of when when you post something like this.

Fran

today forever
20 Year Member
i am not chubby :confused:

yes,it's fun,okay
nostalgia ? okay

but,as i said,they're all crap at the end of the day so who cares really

it's my opinion,freedom of speech ftw etc etc

and,well,the majority of people here seem to love what you did
so why the long face ? cheer up :)