Best England Team of all Time

Tarma

Old Man
20 Year Member
I'm not talking fantasy team here, i'm talking the best squad that was ever assembled by an actual England manager.

The squads have been much maligned over the years, especially since '66, and although as the '66 team actually won the World Cup I don't think it was the best squad ever assembled.

For me the best ever England team was the Italia 1990 squad. For me it was the best team never to win an international tournament... the depth and talent really was frightening when you review the players chosen to represent Engalnd:

Terry Butcher
Peter Shilton
Stuart Pearce
Des Walker
Paul Parker
Mark Wright
Trevor Steven
Gary Stevens
Chris Woods
Bryan Robson
Chris Waddle
John Barnes
David Platt
Paul Gascoigne
Steve McMahon
David Webb
Tony Dorigo
Steve Bull
Peter Beardsley
Gary Lineker
David Seaman
Dave Beasant

I'm missing a player, but can't remember who the fuck it is... any way, your best England squad is...????????????

Doesn't have to be a finals squad either, maybe you think the team that beat Germany 5-1 was the best squad, or the team that beat Brazil 2-0 at the Maracana in '84, whatever just post it!!

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Hodge.

Gazza is a shame. But Lineker, Shilton, Gazza all on one side is pretty scary. I actually have a shirt from that Nike commercial saying "66 was a good year for football. Eric was born." Though that's neither here nor there.

I wish I could say that the team from 2006 was awesome, but they didn't play as a unit. I almost want to blame Super Frank. No one has chemistry with him. But the truth is it's all McClaren's fault. I hope that guys like Lennon and Crouch are dropped completely. Fuckin Wayne Bridge. Watching him kill England against Croatia was painful.

Tarma

Old Man
20 Year Member
wasabi said:
Hodge.

Gazza is a shame. But Lineker, Shilton, Gazza all on one side is pretty scary. I actually have a shirt from that Nike commercial saying "66 was a good year for football. Eric was born." Though that's neither here nor there.

I wish I could say that the team from 2006 was awesome, but they didn't play as a unit. I almost want to blame Super Frank. No one has chemistry with him. But the truth is it's all McClaren's fault. I hope that guys like Lennon and Crouch are dropped completely. Fuckin Wayne Bridge. Watching him kill England against Croatia was painful.

McClaren's reign was a travesty period. Lampard's international form these past few seasons has been disappointing I must admit, but i honestly feel that's more to do with tactics than the the player. Sven proved that he and Gerrard can play together, but that link seems to be broken. Lampard plays a lot of games for Chelsea and it could just be that time and age are catching up on him and he just can't give 100% in every game across a 50 game+ season. The boy must be pretty tired.

I thought Lennon gave a good account of himself under Sven for a young player, but his form has dipped and international selection should reflect this. I think, at the moment, Crouch is a useful sub, but he definitley not starting line up material and never has been. Will be interesting to see who he ends up playing for next season.

As for Wayne... I think you're being a bit harsh, he plays well for Chelsea and again played well under Sven... I don't think any England player hada particularly good game under McClaren, and that in itself speaks volumes.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Crouch's shining moment came off a 30m through lob from Beckham that he caught on his chest and sent in. Other than that, he's a big oaf with a hot wife.

rugal2000

, Troll Me, , Cuz I is 3lit3, ,
1990 england world cup squad
Terry Butcher
Peter Shilton
Stuart Pearce
Des Walker
Paul Parker
Mark Wright
Trevor Steven
Gary Stevens
Chris Woods
Bryan Robson
Chris Waddle
John Barnes
David Platt
Paul Gascoigne
Steve McMahon
David Webb
Tony Dorigo
Steve Bull
Peter Beardsley
Gary Lineker
David Seaman
Dave Beasant

In honesty our squads the last few years have been predictable (just put the biggest names in the squad and to hell with team cohesion) and have had some odd choices (walcott).

The 1990 squad was a great mix of the young (Gascoigne/Platt/Seaman/Pearce) and those in their prime like barnes/waddle/linekar and Beardesley and the experienced like Shilton, Robson,Butcher and Wright.

Plus unlike todays premiership stars these guys were all very hungry as
English clubs were banned from Europe and they wanted to show they were the best.

I used to like the world cups of the 1990's as we didnt quite have the all seeing global coverage of the game as we have today, so world cups always bought you new stars and countries who shocked.

The last 2 world cups have been very predicatable and poor.The 1998 one was the best ever imo