Motorola 68010 swap in neogeo?

Manya

n00b
Hey all,
I have an original single slot mvs and have stumbled apon a motorola 68010 in my pile of junk.

I know the chip is pin compatible with the 68000 but I want to know if anyone has done it with good results?

Thank you,

andy251203

Hardened Shock Trooper
According to wiki, they are pin compatible... but they are not 100% software compatible. If you're trying to overclock, this is not the way to do it. You would want to replace your 12.whatever MHz crystal with a 14 or something.

Hewitson

Metal Slug Mechanic
Installing a 68010 would probably eliminate most slowdowns without increasing the speed of the machine.

It'd certainly be interesting to try.

Manya

n00b
I've just another slot 1 board. Once it arrives i'll do the swap and let everyone know the results.

NeoTurfMasta

DANCE DANCE KARNOV!,
20 Year Member
Thought I'd bump an old ass thread and say I did a 010 swap on one of my 1Bs. I'll do some testing over the weekend and see if there is any noticable improvement. Now I'm not expecting much, when done on an Amiga people report about a 3-5% speed increase.

Turbo this ain't, but its all for fun. AOF3 has been running in it just fine, no distortion of any kind. I'll go through several slowdown titles and report back.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Should help with some slowdown since it's supposed to be more efficient.

NeoTurfMasta

DANCE DANCE KARNOV!,
20 Year Member
Just tested Slug 2 and Shock Troopers 2. Didnt really notice an improvement on slug 2, but it has been some time since I played 2. I could be on crack, but I sware I noticed a slight improvement on ST2.

The cpu definately runs warmer than the original. Not scalding or anything like that. If there is an improvement, so far I'm not impressed. Or at least, not impressed enough to do the mod again.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
You won't see much change in MS2 since it's a game programming problem.

smkdan

Galford's Armourer
"10%" is the figure that's commonly quoted for how much faster it may run on average. I saw the exact optimizations it brings and it's just too minor to warrant it. I would put it at far less than 10% if I was optimizing a game for a 68000 and not a 68010. Only the 68020 onwards had worthwhile optimizations, so unless you come up with some wacky accelerator card I wouldn't bother :loco:

channelmaniac

Mr Neo Fix-it
15 Year Member
I have to wonder if an old CPU upgrade board from an Amiga could be shoehorned in. ;)

NeoTurfMasta

DANCE DANCE KARNOV!,
20 Year Member
I have to wonder if an old CPU upgrade board from an Amiga could be shoehorned in. ;)

I gave that some thought, but I'm not willing to buy the A630 just to try it. I dont have an A600 anymore and its the only one that snaps on the plcc 68k chip.

The A500 has a DIP 68k chip, and a few of those may turn out to be cheaper.

I doubt either solution would work, but hey why not pop one in and see what happens.

Edit: This one looks fun to build. CPU only upgrade that doesnt add any ram. I'll see if there are pinouts online, though the high res photos may help.

Last edited:

smkdan

Galford's Armourer
If you manage to get one running, it'll need a custom BIOS to enable the cache since I think it's disabled on reset. It's already crippled by having to use a 16bit bus and the cache is the biggest improvement over the older chips. For games written in a way that takes advantage of the cache, anyway (not optimistic about slug2 and others based on what I've seen). It should be a noticable improvement though compared to the 68010.

I know little of the hardware but don't you need the truth tables from those PALs if you want to clone it? Or do you have all the info needed to roll your own already?

It would be interesting to see if you could get it running though, if only for fun :)

NeoTurfMasta

DANCE DANCE KARNOV!,
20 Year Member
It would be interesting to see if you could get it running though, if only for fun :)

This is definitely going to wait till I come across one for close to free and until I get some of the other projects finished with. I'm still waiting to finish up the memory card and the sram cache install on the neocd.

This 68010 swap only took about 20 minutes, if anyone wants a 68010 plcc processor, I have 5 more left.

Capoz

New Challenger
and what about to upgrade with a TMP68HC000 16mhz? it's possible? it's usefull?

channelmaniac

Mr Neo Fix-it
15 Year Member
That's not how it works.

Correct. A 16MHz 68000 CPU running at 12MHz is the same performance wise as a 12MHz 68000 CPU running at 12MHz.

Increase the clock speed or swap out the CPU for a more efficient one.

I don't think you'll see near the performance increase of swapping a 68000 out for a 68010 as you would for swapping a 6809 out for a 6309.

RJ

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Plus I don't think you want to have your Neo permanently at 16mhz if you use a 16mhz crystal, you won't be able to play a lot of games.

SnowKitty

n00b
Plus I don't think you want to have your Neo permanently at 16mhz if you use a 16mhz crystal, you won't be able to play a lot of games.

you could add a switch to change clock speeds. though if it's like the genesis you may need to add a halt switch too if switching clocks while power is on

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Trust me, I know about overclocking the Neo. And the Neo can't change speeds when the system is on.

SnowKitty

n00b
Trust me, I know about overclocking the Neo. And the Neo can't change speeds when the system is on.

even if you halt the CPU? it has to be done while the system is on for the genesis cause it cannot boot above 8mhz for most games. and if not, you still can add a switch anyway to go back to normal speed even if you have to turn the system off to change clocks.

NeoTurfMasta

DANCE DANCE KARNOV!,
20 Year Member
Today I installed an Amiga 68020 accelerator on my 1F. It was originally made as a CPU swap on Amiga 500 systems and can be used on old Macs too. Tonight I'll test it out, not expecting anything, really just want to see what happens.

NeoTurfMasta

DANCE DANCE KARNOV!,
20 Year Member
Hey, it works! Only played a minute of KOF2000, was the only cart in reach at the moment. Can test other stuff tonight.

Tried Shock Troopers 2, no change. All games seem to play just fine, only thing thats weird is the Credits text on the screen flickers.

Sooooo, there you go. Pretty uneventful.

Last edited: