Who loves pinball? (moved)

caldwert

Mr. Big's Thug
15 Year Member
Iron Maiden is pretty solid in my opinion. Played about 100 credits on it so far. Scoring is fairly easy to understand. I did notice that it is sensitive to set up. I played about 20 different ones at Midwest Gaming Classic and some felt like crap while others felt great. The Loop Jackpot shot is hard to hit more than twice. The playfield multipliers aren't mystifying either and you can elect when to turn them on which is nice. I have no doubts it will be regarded as a classic. It was designed by Keith Elwin who I consider the best player in the world (doesn't matter what rankings say). He made it as a homebrew with an Archer theme, but then Stern hired him. I like it way more than Star Wars. Guardians of the Galaxy is growing on me. Played one in a tournament this weekend really blew it up. Batman 66 I've played about 5 times, so I don't have an opinion on it yet.

Spike Spiegel

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
Oh yeah. I remember the Archer pin. This is that same pin? Amazing. It's just a damn shame I don't give a single shit about the theme. And that's coming from a guy that has a Metallica.

But I am glad that Stern has gotten more and more their heads out of their asses.

Tripredacus

Three 6 Mafia
10 Year Member
I did notice that it is sensitive to set up. I played about 20 different ones at Midwest Gaming Classic and some felt like crap while others felt great.
//
I like it way more than Star Wars.

Most of the Star Wars I know have big playability problems. I have played one that worked properly and 3 or 4 that do not. It mostly has to do with the plunge and the high probability of left outlane drain on plunge, in addition, autoplunge on ball save has the same issue, so you can do a no flip plunge drain, followed by a no flip ball save drain, with no additional ball save. It ruins the game for me and I hate playing it.

caldwert

Mr. Big's Thug
15 Year Member
Most of the Star Wars I know have big playability problems. I have played one that worked properly and 3 or 4 that do not. It mostly has to do with the plunge and the high probability of left outlane drain on plunge, in addition, autoplunge on ball save has the same issue, so you can do a no flip plunge drain, followed by a no flip ball save drain, with no additional ball save. It ruins the game for me and I hate playing it.

Yeah, I experience that on the one I play in my pinball league and its maddening. The game feels wildly out of control at almost all times. I play it only b/c I know I'll be forced to play it. Other than that I couldn't care less to play it again really. One of my biggest gripes is when the lights cut out on it and you lose track of the ball and drain. Or the one Death Star shot where it strobes, yeah that's not distracting at all. The game just feels cheap to me. I did play one at Texas Pinball Festival that played really well and felt awesome, but the one at my buddy's barcade is pretty crappy if you ask me. My first words when I played it were "feels like a Sega...". Guess the Data East/Sega/Stern pedigree showed thru, lol.

caldwert

Mr. Big's Thug
15 Year Member
Oh yeah. I remember the Archer pin. This is that same pin? Amazing. It's just a damn shame I don't give a single shit about the theme. And that's coming from a guy that has a Metallica.

But I am glad that Stern has gotten more and more their heads out of their asses.

Yep, same pin. They also just hired Brian Eddy who did Shadow, Attack from Mars, and Medieval Madness. So things are looking up. They also have a lot of beast players on staff with Zach Sharpe, Keith Elwin, Lyman Sheats, and Tim Sexton. I'm sure there's other guys I don't know who are good too. Saw one dude on the FB Stream of Iron Maiden who was ballin' but I hadn't heard of him. Anyway, with all those dudes on board, I think you'd receive proper input on designing machines. I hung out at Texas Pinball Festival one night with a few people from Stern/Williams/Data East. It was funny hearing them talk about how tight costs are on machines and how they want to do all sorts of stuff, but the final product ends up whittled down.

Westcb

Give an Azn, A Break Here!,
Yeah, I experience that on the one I play in my pinball league and its maddening. The game feels wildly out of control at almost all times. I play it only b/c I know I'll be forced to play it. Other than that I couldn't care less to play it again really. One of my biggest gripes is when the lights cut out on it and you lose track of the ball and drain. Or the one Death Star shot where it strobes, yeah that's not distracting at all. The game just feels cheap to me. I did play one at Texas Pinball Festival that played really well and felt awesome, but the one at my buddy's barcade is pretty crappy if you ask me. My first words when I played it were "feels like a Sega...". Guess the Data East/Sega/Stern pedigree showed thru, lol.

Mine feels nice and tight but I did have to dial some things in, plus it’s got the metal ramps which always makes things feel better then plastic ramps IMO. Only shot that pisses me off is trying to hit the Death Star raised ramp from the left flipper, for me it just never happens but I was able to adjust the ramps to a point where it could happen with a perfect shot for awhile but now it seems to just not work anymore. Not game braking but definitely makes the pro easier to rack up a better score in comparison for me.

caldwert

Mr. Big's Thug
15 Year Member
Mine feels nice and tight but I did have to dial some things in, plus it’s got the metal ramps which always makes things feel better then plastic ramps IMO. Only shot that pisses me off is trying to hit the Death Star raised ramp from the left flipper, for me it just never happens but I was able to adjust the ramps to a point where it could happen with a perfect shot for awhile but now it seems to just not work anymore. Not game braking but definitely makes the pro easier to rack up a better score in comparison for me.

Yeah, that's how all the Iron Maiden's were at MGC. One would feel great, the next one felt like a kid's toy. I think it all has to do with tightness of the legs and the slope of the machine.

Timorous Scott

Raiden's Valet
Might have a picture when I finish moving soon but right now have TWDLE, DILE, WCS94, and Slugfest. Was thinking of getting the new Maiden or POTC game this summer but I think I'll wait to see how used prices look in the fall.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
As long as this thread is bumped, I wanted to mention that all versions of The Pinball Arcade will lose their Bally and Williams licenses as of June 30, effectively killing the game's future prospects. So if you're like me and were holding out on picking up some seasons or tables that you wanted, you have until then to do so.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.po...7333300/pinball-arcade-bally-williams-license

Tripredacus

Three 6 Mafia
10 Year Member
They should put their table packs up on sale, but they dont' seem to be interested in doing so.

NERDtendo

SouthTown StreetSweeper
10 Year Member
Anyone going to the Rocky Mountain Pinball Showdown in Denver next week?

Tripredacus

Three 6 Mafia
10 Year Member
Looks good. Hope it plays as fast as Black Knight 2000. Don't like the idea of putting the magna save on the apron button.

jeffkun34

Science will find a way!,
20 Year Member
For those of you who like video pinball like Devils/Alien Crush I highly recommend playing Occult Pinball. It is in early access on Steam and the developer plans to make console ports once the PC version is complete in roughly 6 months.

I played it at PAX East today and had a lot of fun with it.

Yoshi

20 Year Member
Occult Pinball seems to have been renamed to Demon's Tilt.

Unrelated, my wife has become excited about the prospect of getting a pinball machine, which of course is not helping the itch I already had. Does anyone have any recommendations? Negative ones are helpful too.

sr20det510

Guerilla Warrior
Occult Pinball seems to have been renamed to Demon's Tilt.

Unrelated, my wife has become excited about the prospect of getting a pinball machine, which of course is not helping the itch I already had. Does anyone have any recommendations? Negative ones are helpful too.

I went to a pinball and arcade auction a few months ago and was surprised at the prices of pinball machines. The auctioneer mentioned how they have truly skyrocketed in value. A bunch sold for 4-5-6k.

I would imagine a nice Stern pinball machine will be pricey, but will maintain most of its value if/ when you decide to sell.

Goodlick!

ballzdeepx

Rugal's Secretary
20 Year Member
What's your budget, and your technical aptitude around soldering, turning screws and nuts, etc?

yzrider926

Edo Express Delivery Guy
If you can make it out to a show try and do that. Bring the Wife with you. You two can play quite a bit of games and most of the newer ones. Get a feel for what you guys like and have fun with. I would suggest getting something you both will enjoy.

sparksterz

Camel Slug
I just got back from Vegas and made sure to stop out at the Pinball Hall of Fame. It was a great time and I wish it was closer. Some one of a kind titles and many new machines as well.

jeffkun34

20 Year Member
I am in the dangerous planning stages of building a virtual pinball table. I already built the PC for it and I am looking to order the monitors soon. The hard part is going to be wiring everything up with solenoid feedback.

I know it is not going to match real pinball but for the price of one cab I can have a great simulation of hundreds of tables.

ballzdeepx

Rugal's Secretary
20 Year Member
I am in the dangerous planning stages of building a virtual pinball table. I already built the PC for it and I am looking to order the monitors soon. The hard part is going to be wiring everything up with solenoid feedback.

I know it is not going to match real pinball but for the price of one cab I can have a great simulation of hundreds of tables.

I understand the VP route, but hear me out for a min.

Get one decent game, even if it's a bit more up front, you can typically sell or trade it without losing much - you could change up a game every 6 months for example and still only lose a bit compared to what the VP will cost. At some point you're going to wish that you just got a real table regardless so I'd advise against it - there really is no comparison with emulation vs the real thing here, and that's not to say it isn't fun - but just my 2 cents.

Good luck either way.

jeffkun34

20 Year Member
I thought about getting a real pin but I know I would not be happy with just one table, even if it was one of my favorites. My house is small so I only have space for one and the last thing I want is to switch up tables every year. A VP table is the best route for me, plus I can play all of the custom tables people make online like the Stranger Things pin.

ballzdeepx

Rugal's Secretary
20 Year Member
I thought about getting a real pin but I know I would not be happy with just one table, even if it was one of my favorites. My house is small so I only have space for one and the last thing I want is to switch up tables every year. A VP table is the best route for me, plus I can play all of the custom tables people make online like the Stranger Things pin.

Fair enough, it is hard to only have one pin - most people always end up going for two minimum - it becomes an addiction.