Technos

Formerly known as #28
20 Year Member
http://ds.ign.com/articles/870/870922p1.html

So let's review:

*no NFL license (?)

*may or may not be JPN-developed

*its a "remake of the original game"

So basically all my suspicions regarding a new Tecmo Bowl game are going to be proven true. I all but guarantee this shit will suck. But maybe I'll reserve judgement for a screenshot.

Kunai

Over Top Auto Mechanic
As long as it doesn't play as badly as TSB for the PS1...

I'm excited, actually... but I'm reserving judgment until I see the game as well. You can edit team names for sure... it'd be awesome if you could also alter the helmet logos by drawing them with your stylus.

It sounds like you can make a modern TSB... after a lot of work.

Lets Gekiga In

Neon Night Rider
20 Year Member
From what I read about Tecmo Bowl going to home consoles though, it seems like it stands more of a chance.

Verythrax

OWES ROT MONEY!
Lets Gekiga In said:
From what I read about Tecmo Bowl going to home consoles though, it seems like it stands more of a chance.

Wasn't it supposed to me a DS-only release? I don't think we will be seeing a 2D sports game being released to a current gen console anytime soon.

Lets Gekiga In

Neon Night Rider
20 Year Member
Verythrax said:
Wasn't it supposed to me a DS-only release? I don't think we will be seeing a 2D sports game being released to a current gen console anytime soon.
There is going to be a Tecmo Bowl for both DS and Wii.

Nah, I don't think it's going to be 2D at all on the Wii.

Verythrax

OWES ROT MONEY!
Lets Gekiga In said:
Nah, I don't think it's going to be 2D at all on the Wii.

But there is going to be a Tecmo Bowl for both DS and Wii.

Oh, nice.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
TSB is how I learned the [general] Rules of Football.

Kunai

Over Top Auto Mechanic
Without Tecmo Bowl, I probably would have never even given football a second look. I only became a fan of Joe Montana, Jerry Rice and the 49ers because of how good they were in TSB.

I've been following football closely ever since.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Kunai said:
Without Tecmo Bowl, I probably would have never even given football a second look. I only became a fan of Joe Montana, Jerry Rice and the 49ers because of how good they were in TSB.

I've been following football closely ever since.

Ronnie Lott is the true Gamebreaker on the 9ers....

Also my favorite move when Blowing out a human opponent:
Replace Montana with Young....... A real way to show somebody up... HHAHAHHA I replaced one of the greatest QB's of all time with another of the Greatest QB's of all time.

Technos

Formerly known as #28
20 Year Member
Whether its made in Japan will make or break it. I don't want some Cali white boys doing their best Tecmo impression.

But other than that, I have to say it sounds all right so far. I always thought a FirePro-style Edit mode would work well for Tecmo.

Zenimus

Zantetsu's Blade Sharpener
I like the fact that it's not based on the official NFL license. That way, instead of striving for realism, they can focus on making a fun sports game.

Pocketgamer

Ukyo's Doctor
15 Year Member
http://ds.ign.com/articles/870/870922p1.html

So let's review:

*no NFL license (?)

*may or may not be JPN-developed

*its a "remake of the original game"

So basically all my suspicions regarding a new Tecmo Bowl game are going to be proven true. I all but guarantee this shit will suck. But maybe I'll reserve judgement for a screenshot.

I'll reserve judgement for gameplay still thou...to be continued.

Technos

Formerly known as #28
20 Year Member
Its a nearly frame-for-frame remake of the SNES version. Looks western-made from the style, font, etc...I dunno. Could be fine but could suck.

EDIT:

For its return on modern hardware, Tecmo drafted its first US executive producer, Ryan Gilbo, to head the project, and he promptly set out to update the game just enough, but not change too much.

So its Western shit. No surprise. I want to boycott this, but I feel like I have to play it to know for sure.

Last edited:

Technos

Formerly known as #28
20 Year Member
Supposedly the game is out now in the US, tho I'm having trouble finding a copy...

Hikaru Ichijyo

Thundercock,
I saw this come in at work yesterday along with Luminous Arc 2 and Metal Slug 7. Looks neat, I'll have to give it a whirl and see how it plays.

Technos

Formerly known as #28
20 Year Member
I now have the game. My thoughts so far...

As I said months ago when I had only seen a handful of screens, this is a carbon-copy remake of the SuFami/SNES 'original'. If the field and sprites have been redrawn, its sure hard to tell--visually, this is identical. The cutscenes, however, have been redrawn, and now use pre-rendered sprites.

The worst aspects of this being a re-release of a 15 year old game come through when examining the playbook. The playbook is the exact same one from NES Tecmo Super Bowl. The old standbys of FB Offtackle Left and Shotgun Z S-in are still here. How is this possible? The same, 17 year old playbook? How half-assed can you get?

The Edit mode, while appreciated, is not what it could have been. There is no team logo Edit. You choose from maybe 16 Play-Dough logos (a star, a crescent moon, a skull, etc) and that's IT. Assigning team colors makes the uniforms acceptable, but not perfect. Editing players is a bit confusing. There is this "Skill Point" system that I do not understand, plus ability points to assign. The Skill Points revolve around various abilities you can assign, like Rocket Pass for QBs and Miracle Catch for receivers. What's bizarre is that even if you take away a Skill from a guy, you don't get the Skill Points that cost back. How you earn more Skill Points, I can't tell. Will have to play it more.

Team rosters are huge, to a fault. Do I really need a backup kicker, and punter? Backup offensive linemen? A third backup QB? A waste of time. I don't even know who the Broncos' backup kicker is, or if he even exists. Pointless.

The actual gameplay is, mercifully, un-fucked with and remains the same Tecmo style as always. The biggest change I can see so far is that now, every receiver on the field has a cursor, which enlarges as you select him to throw to. I guess this was meant for 2-player play, but its honestly not as good as one cursor, the old system.

All in all, its fine because its a new Tecmo Bowl that is the good Tecmo and not the ass ones that came after the first SNES game, but this whole thing sort of smacks of a lack of effort and creativity. The game has no style, really bland menus and "look". The new Halftime shows are okay, with sexy cheerleaders. I'm playing it right now, so its at least decent.

Review score: 6.0

Last edited: