Adaptor for Super MVS Converter II

Hewitson

Metal Slug Mechanic
You'll have to sign up for photobucket or the like and link them from there.

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
Picture002.jpg

Picture003.jpg

Last edited:

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
I was pretty confident it was a boot already based on your description without seeing the pics. Wow, what a piece of crap. Worth posting just to see how ugly of a job it is. The label must be fake too.

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
Now that i have a 2 slot MVS, I've tried it in that and the sound is fine. So maybe the boot has the same encryption/copy protection as the legit cart, I can't think of any other reason it would would work perfectly on mvs but not on aes (with the mvs converter). I thought boots usually ditch the copy protection, maybe that's not always true?

Last edited:

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
There's a lot more to it when it comes to MVS to AES conversion. Even the Super MVS Converter isn't perfect with all legit games. I always trip out on these boots. Wouldn't it have been easier to convert a cheaper cart than do that? Damn.

Neo Alec

20 Year Member
I don't think encryption matters with the Super MVS II. The main thing it does perfectly is void the encryption. I think the real problems with it are other compatibility problems.

Kyuusaku

B. Jenet's Firstmate
They "copied" (reimplemented) the SNK IC through reverse engineering. Their actual implementation is through a small ASIC, which is logically equivalent to the SNK/ADK chip ZMC2/PRO-CT0 character data multiplexer.

The converter's biggest problem seems to be that the multiplexer doesn't successfully follow the timing of the original MVS hence the adjustment screw hack. It's possible that all the MVS signals aren't implemented either, as indicated by the non-connected pics, but this would only prevent VERY obscure protected games from working (possibly none).

Most boots are implemented like common carts, even if they have protection, so the issues are really just electrical. This boot certainly doesn't have any protection (the CPLD is just to replace the NEO-273 chip), so there's no reason it shouldn't work at least partially on the converter except insufficient supply current.

Neo Alec

20 Year Member
That's really interesting. If they had replicated it better, could the converter work better?

Kyuusaku

B. Jenet's Firstmate
Possibly, original games obviously don't need any adjustment to work, so something isn't quite right with the logic. What I'm afraid of though is that there's some signal or timing that can't be reconstructed with the converter, so they have to approximate it using the adjustment pot, though it doesn't seem likely. If anyone knows of a definitive compatibility list, that'd be helpful.

Neo Alec

20 Year Member
Something in the converter is happening to cause the scaling issue on most consoles and compatibility issues with games like Metal Slug X. I'm not talking about bootlegs.