Firearm enthusiast thread

K_K

Honourary Irishman.,
20 Year Member
it was a mini gun like that, that killed president mckinley, no wonder the urge to make em went away.

HellioN

, What The Fuck Is This Shit?
20 Year Member
We've got a baby on the way and as of late I've been seriously considering buying a handgun for protection at the house. By no means do we live in a bad neighborhood. It's a nice new area, but that's all the more reasons for home theft etc.. I have a bat, but I'm not too confident in it's ability against a burglar's gun. I've looked around at a few local shops, but I haven't the foggiest idea what would be appropriate. I've got family members that go hunting and know plenty about shotguns and hunting rifles, but know pretty much zero as far as handguns go.

I'm looking for something small and powerful. I'm not out to turn anyone into swiss cheese, but I'd like to have something that could take someone down if needed. I live in Kansas, and my knowledge of what is and isn't legal as far as guns goes is non existent as well.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Because knowing is half the battle.... G.I. JOE!!!!!

Revolver, .357 Magnum, 4 to 6 inch barrel, A GOOD flashlight (surefire), practice..Lots of practice.
I would go with a Ruger or a pre lock Smith & Wesson.

HellioN

, What The Fuck Is This Shit?
20 Year Member
It's a perfect combination of portability and RIDICULOUS stopping power. And good luck missing with that fucking thing.

Do NOT buy into the "impossible to miss" theory people have about shotguns.
It is quite easy to miss at hallway range with a shotgun.
Go measure your hallway, I bet it is less than 10 yards, Way less.
No go shoot the SG at that distance, I think you will be surprised just how small the pattern is & how easy it is to "miss" with a shotgun.

Poonman

macebronian
15 Year Member
Oh I'm not buying into any myths...but I think you and I envision different scenarios on how a home invasion would go down (perhaps?).

I may know jackshit when it comes to guns, but I know petty crooks who happen to know serious crooks...

Most fuckers try to get the jump on you while you're asleep...as in across the bedroom. They usually go after jewelery if you're a couple, cash if you're a man, and pussy if you're a woman. Light and easy to get away with. (If nobodies home they would probably go after the heavy shit like furniture and TVs).

But the distance from your pillow to the foot of the bed is what will separate you and a robber/rapist. Pretty sure the shotty is accurate enough at that distance. ;)

Point taken on the pattern though...I've never shot anything with a short barrel before. I've used double barrel hunting rifles from maybe 30 feet away and IIRC it peppered an area with a radius of almost 2 feet.

Last edited:

garou_d

Aero Fighter,
if only firearms were authorized in france, I would certainly get this baby :

CZ-99

cz99-1.jpg

Orochi_invisibleink

Ghost of Captain Kidd
Would not be so easy to just buy that type of shotty. He would need to pay and apply for SBR.
I would suggest a shot gun for home defense with the min barrel length 18 inches as well.

If you definitely need a handgun that is easy to operate and reliable, I will suggest a G17 or G19. Hell, any 1911 would do too.

dumb question here im sure but what is an SBR? i really like those pistol grip shotguns but what kind of forms or special licenses would be required to own one?

Poonman

macebronian
15 Year Member
dumb question here im sure but what is an SBR? i really like those pistol grip shotguns but what kind of forms or special licenses would be required to own one?

SBR = Short barrel rifle.

As for what it takes to acquire an AOW down there I have no idea. Probably money and an application is all.
I love those old tyme whippet grips though....hope it isn't "restricted" Canada.

As long as it's over 660 millimeters I should be able to get one without too much trouble (I hope). =(

Darklighterx

J. Maximum Fan Club President
20 Year Member

Yeah, as stated, SBR is short barrel rifle. If a pistol grip you want, you should be fine if your rifle is 18in min in most states. Anything shorter and you'll have to pay the fee and get approval from BAFT and check with your local laws/authorities. ATF will have more info than I can provide. Perhaps someone with an SBR can chime in. I do not have one.

Force

Zantetsu's Blade Sharpener
20 Year Member
Just passed my hunters ed course that I need to get a pistol in this state. In about a month I'm going to own a p226.

Matt

Orochi_invisibleink

Ghost of Captain Kidd
thanks for the replies guys

yeah, that shotgun that was linked to with pistol grip and the grip on the pump looked awesome.

ForeverSublime

6400|!!|Kyo Clone
20 Year Member
Does anyone here have an issue with cross ocular dominance? I do. I'm right-handed but my left eye is strongly dominant. It's not much of a problem with pistols, but can be problematic with certain rifles.

Me, I believe.

All I know is that it made Silent Scope a nuisance.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Yeah, as stated, SBR is short barrel rifle. If a pistol grip you want, you should be fine if your rifle is 18in min in most states. Anything shorter and you'll have to pay the fee and get approval from BAFT and check with your local laws/authorities. ATF will have more info than I can provide. Perhaps someone with an SBR can chime in. I do not have one.

It's actually 16" according to Federal Law for rifles, not 18" (for barrell length) - but yeah, a shotgun w/ pistol grip can be had easily and with no hassle since it doesn't break any laws (well i imagine in most states...).

Darklighterx

20 Year Member
It's actually 16" according to Federal Law for rifles, not 18" (for barrell length) - but yeah, a shotgun w/ pistol grip can be had easily and with no hassle since it doesn't break any laws (well i imagine in most states...).

18" for shotty.

Funk Buddy

B. Jenet's Firstmate
HellioN, look what you missed.

No, these people are not me, but I was there and had a great time.

HK MP5K submachine gun.
http://www.youtube.com/v/-JlqxqzAGOk&hl=en

Short barrelled, semi-auto 12 ga.
http://s218.photobucket.com/albums/cc223/johncarter31/crossfire/?action=view&current=100_1761.flv

9mm suppressed submachine gun.
http://s218.photobucket.com/albums/cc223/johncarter31/crossfire/?action=view&current=100_1776.flv

Suppressed short barrelled 9mm AR-15.
http://s218.photobucket.com/albums/cc223/johncarter31/crossfire/?action=view&current=100_1777.flv
100_1780.jpg

Suppressed 22 cal pen gun.
100_1783.jpg

Suppressed full auto Uzi.
100_1779.jpg

Full auto Ruger 10/22.
100_1774.jpg

Funk Buddy

B. Jenet's Firstmate
SBR = Short barrel rifle.

As for what it takes to acquire an AOW down there I have no idea. Probably money and an application is all.

You have to have a FFL here and for SBR, SBS and AOW a Curio & Relics (C&R) works fine. SBR and SBS tax the $200 tax stamp and AOW is $5 or $15 I can't remember which.

Funk Buddy

B. Jenet's Firstmate
Just and FYI, you can get one of the full auto trigger groups for the 10/22 for $8500 +. I'd love to have one, but I'll take a car instead thanks.

Darklighterx

20 Year Member
Loved that Saiga 12 there. Was it a Tromix mod model? They are getting prohibitively expensive around here.

Orochi_invisibleink

Ghost of Captain Kidd
hey funk buddy, where did that pen gun come from? i didnt think they made anything like that anywhere in the world anymore

Funk Buddy

B. Jenet's Firstmate
@Darklighterx

I'd have to ask him, but I believe so. You could feel the concussion from the shots about six feet behind him.

@Orochi

Not sure where it came from or how old it it. Another guy from Missouri said he has one too. I'll have to ask.

Last edited:

Poonman

macebronian
15 Year Member
hey funk buddy, where did that pen gun come from? i didnt think they made anything like that anywhere in the world anymore

Pen gun is made by Derringer or a company called Stinger.
Completely legal to own in the US because it has to break into the shape of a gun before use.

The ones that actually look like harmless pens where you click to shoot are class 3 firearms...or in all likelyhood illegal in most states.

Expect to pay anywhere from around 500-800 for such a silly little thing. If I had money to piss away, I'd save a little extra and buy a ring-revolver.
You don't need any kind of a license to own one either.