Went back for more.
153412.jpg

153411.jpg

153410.jpg

HellioN

, What The Fuck Is This Shit?
20 Year Member
Mental note, don't fuck with Hellion:)

What's your personal preference revolver or semi.
LOL.
I like both but the modern pistol is pretty much superior
To the revolver in every way.

HellioN

20 Year Member
Is that your first Garand?

Yeah, I finally bought one.
SA receiver. May of '45 if I'm interpreting
the s/n correctly.
Guy i got it from has another
I'm hoping he decides to sell me.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Nice. Barrels also have codes too so you can see when it's from if you're in to that. I wish mine had an original stock but it's like a '44 SA with a Korean War era barrel so i can't really complain.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
LOL.
I like both but the modern pistol is pretty much superior
To the revolver in every way.

Yeah...not much getting around modern technology. Give or take, a modern semi auto trumps a revolver in nearly every way.

mainman

CPS2 Person.,
20 Year Member
Yeah...not much getting around modern technology. Give or take, a modern semi auto trumps a revolver in nearly every way.

There's no answer to the S&W 500 in the semi auto platform for handgun hunting large game with enough power to give you the confidence the animal will drop with one round with a high probability.

If someone mentions 10mm I am going to vomit.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
There's no answer to the S&W 500 in the semi auto platform for handgun hunting large game with enough power to give you the confidence the animal will drop with one round with a high probability.

If someone mentions 10mm I am going to vomit.

I don't dispute that...but that is a very specific handgun for a very specific job. When it comes to North American big game hunting with a handgun, there is no substitution for a revolver. .357 magnum, 44 magnum, 454 casull, 460 XVR, 500 S&W, (480 Ruger) those rounds will stop anything we have here.

For two legged encounters? Nothing beats a semi auto.

...and 10mm? Meh, it's just the current trend. We were discussing this on another forum. People flit this way and that, for the longest time, it was 40 S&W. It seems that 10mm is the new flash bang, despite its being around forever.Personally, I really like the 10mm, but it is a seriously snappy round. The only 10mm I've ever shot was in a Colt Delta Elite and that was one uncomfortable M-F'er to shoot.

But a replacement for a magnum round in a revolver? No way.

mainman

CPS2 Person.,
20 Year Member
I don't dispute that...but that is a very specific handgun for a very specific job. When it comes to North American big game hunting with a handgun, there is no substitution for a revolver. .357 magnum, 44 magnum, 454 casull, 460 XVR, 500 S&W, (480 Ruger) those rounds will stop anything we have here.

For two legged encounters? Nothing beats a semi auto.

...and 10mm? Meh, it's just the current trend. We were discussing this on another forum. People flit this way and that, for the longest time, it was 40 S&W. It seems that 10mm is the new flash bang, despite its being around forever.Personally, I really like the 10mm, but it is a seriously snappy round. The only 10mm I've ever shot was in a Colt Delta Elite and that was one uncomfortable M-F'er to shoot.

But a replacement for a magnum round in a revolver? No way.

I wouldn't trust my life to a .357 against large 4 legged varmints. I think 357 is the pinnacle for defense against humans. When I say big game I mean Grizzly not black bear. A .44 would still be a hope and a prayer against those. When the adrenaline kicks in the bear will still have enough left to wreck your shit before and if it expires. I mean the only reason those big caliber exist is explicitly for big game.

If it wasn't such a finicky primadonna with ammo which affects its reliability the Desert Eagle would be a good option with the right loads. The Wildey though more powerful is even more cumbersome to carry and difficult to just get freckin ammo.

I was on the fence with getting a 10mm but decided it was to much for self defense and not enough to be one of my wall hangers.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
I wouldn't trust my life to a .357 against large 4 legged varmints. I think 357 is the pinnacle for defense against humans. When I say big game I mean Grizzly not black bear. A .44 would still be a hope and a prayer against those. When the adrenaline kicks in the bear will still have enough left to wreck your shit before and if it expires. I mean the only reason those big caliber exist is explicitly for big game.

If it wasn't such a finicky primadonna with ammo which affects its reliability the Desert Eagle would be a good option with the right loads. The Wildey though more powerful is even more cumbersome to carry and difficult to just get freckin ammo.

I was on the fence with getting a 10mm but decided it was to much for self defense and not enough to be one of my wall hangers.

I was listing revolver rounds that one could use for hunting, I wasn't implying that one size would work everywhere. Where I live, people hunt deer with .357 magnum.

It's on the bottom end for a bear, but by what I understand, 44 magnum will work if need be (not even sure why I'm discussing this, I don't hunt and thankfully, don't live in bear country). Here's an interesting read:

https://www.ammoland.com/2018/02/de...s-rate-37-incidents-by-caliber/#axzz5UHul4dPS

Many makers, including S&W and Ruger have released 44 magnum revolvers specifically for bear defense.

Now, in this age would I choose a 454, 460, or 500 instead? Sure...again, thankfully I have no reason to.

HellioN

20 Year Member
That is nice! 7.62?

.308/7.62x51 yes.
They also come in 5.56 & 7.62x39
Classic firearms had them on sale as blemished units in .308 & x39.
Other than the top cover being a slightly different shade I can't find any blemishes on the rifle.
My interest in the Soviet round is minimal so I went for the Hebrew Hammer.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Well...looks like bump-stocks finally got the axe. Honestly, it doesn't surprise me one bit, I've always thought they were skirting existing laws (no matter how dumb those laws may be). If anything surprises me, it's how long it has taken for them to become nationally banned.

HellioN

20 Year Member
It's horse shit & I hope a whole bunch of folks decide they will not comply.

Montatez

Aero Fighters Flyboy
We all knew it was coming, more government control is what we have to look forward to.

Honestly this changes nothing.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
I'm pretty sure that you here know my stance on firearm ownership and gun owner rights...so there's no need for me to go over that.

With that said, there's exercising your rights and fighting for your rights...then there's skirting laws and poking the skunk. Bump stocks have always been poking the skunk, and this isn't the first time a company came out with some gimmicky device like that to skirt a law. Like all the items before it, the bump stock is now banned. Honestly, I feel the same way about all of the pistol "braces"...we all know the score with them. Hell, I own one...but I'm 100% aware that there's a solid chance they'll one day be banned as well. Flat out, they skirt a law, just like bump stocks did.

*EDIT*

We need to abolish these oppressive, absurd laws, not skirt them...I guess that's what I'm trying to say...

Last edited:

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
BTW...I'm REALLY looking into reloading, primarily for .38/357 and 44 magnum/spcl...

With .38 running $15/50 on the cheap side, and 44 running $25/50 on the cheap side...reloading may very well help things along.

The issue is that for a decent progressive, like a Dillon XL650 and the basic add-on's, you're looking at $1300 just to get started. I keep going back and forth and back and forth as to if I really want to go down this road that badly...it would take quite a bit of reloading to make it worth my while.

I will say that at this point, I have plenty of brass...

Montatez

Aero Fighters Flyboy
BTW...I'm REALLY looking into reloading, primarily for .38/357 and 44 magnum/spcl...

With .38 running $15/50 on the cheap side, and 44 running $25/50 on the cheap side...reloading may very well help things along.

The issue is that for a decent progressive, like a Dillon XL650 and the basic add-on's, you're looking at $1300 just to get started. I keep going back and forth and back and forth as to if I really want to go down this road that badly...it would take quite a bit of reloading to make it worth my while.

I will say that at this point, I have plenty of brass...

Funny you mention that I have been wanting to reload .44 as well.

Some family came to visit a couple months ago and bought me a new set of .45 acp dies but I have been busy with my Jeep and family to start reloading it yet.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
I'm starting reloading small and simple.

I'm going to try this out on my friend's turret press. I bought a hand de-primer, a media tumbler, and a few other things to get that ball rolling. I spent some time last weekend de-priming and cleaning some 38 spcl brass. Bout soe powder (1lb each of Unique, Bullseye, and HP38), some primers. I have some lead wadcutter projectiles on order as well.

Dochartaigh

Edo Express Delivery Guy

I have the XL 650. Paid $567 for my 650, $219 for XL automated casefeeder (totally optional, but super nice). To reload 9mm it was $77 for the powder measure, $69 powder check (a MUST for progressive presses IMO), $54 4-die set for 9mm Luger = $986 total (you'll need a scale, cheap digital micrometer, and other misc stuff I'm probably forgetting of course - don't even have to trim most handgun brass cases FYI, and you automatically decap on stage 1...so super easy too).

9mm comes out to $0.1273 per round with found brass - that's $6.37 per box of 50. This is for nice quality ammo with CCI primers, 147gr copper jacketed loads (which I need subsonic since I shoot with a suppressor mostly) - 115gr is cheaper of course (and lead with the lubed channels is cheaper still).

TOTALLY worth it. I gave my example as 9mm since you're looking to reload a pistol caliber, but I literally bought the 650 for 300 Blackout subsonic which back when I bought all this was upwards of $1.00-$150 or something stupid like that per round. I forget the exact math but I had to reload something like 2,000 rounds of 300 BLK and the press would pay for itself - it's literally paid for itself 10 times over now.

Another plus side is custom loads - can't say enough about these. My favorite gun to shoot is an AAC 300 BLK Handi Rifle - have a 150 grain subsonic load I developed for that. A tad over $0.16/round (i.e. cheap as shit), and it literally sounds like a paintball gun (get asked at the range "WTF is that" ever single time). Absolutely love it (and love hitting steel at 200 yards with a flight time of like 1.5 seconds too lol).

If you have any questions let me know. I have full setups for 9mm, 300 blackout subsonic and supersonic, and .223/5.56. Gave up reloading .223 since Wolf steel cased is pretty much the same price even with shipping, so it's just not worth the effort to reload that to me (can still get decent groups at 100 yards with Wolf, even on a 10.5" SBR, which is plenty fine even for the competitions I used to do on a regular basis).

Last edited:

Montatez

Aero Fighters Flyboy
I have the XL 650. Paid $567 for my 650, $219 for XL automated casefeeder (totally optional, but super nice). To reload 9mm it was $77 for the powder measure, $69 powder check (a MUST for progressive presses IMO), $54 4-die set for 9mm Luger = $986 total (you'll need a scale, cheap digital micrometer, and other misc stuff I'm probably forgetting of course - don't even have to trim most handgun brass cases FYI, and you automatically decap on stage 1...so super easy too).

9mm comes out to $0.1273 per round with found brass - that's $6.37 per box of 50. This is for nice quality ammo with CCI primers, 147gr copper jacketed loads (which I need subsonic since I shoot with a suppressor mostly) - 115gr is cheaper of course (and lead with the lubed channels is cheaper still).

TOTALLY worth it. I gave my example as 9mm since you're looking to reload a pistol caliber, but I literally bought the 650 for 300 Blackout subsonic which back when I bought all this was upwards of $1.00-$150 or something stupid like that per round. I forget the exact math but I had to reload something like 2,000 rounds of 300 BLK and the press would pay for itself - it's literally paid for itself 10 times over now.

Another plus side is custom loads - can't say enough about these. My favorite gun to shoot is an AAC 300 BLK Handi Rifle - have a 150 grain subsonic load I developed for that. A tad over $0.16/round (i.e. cheap as shit), and it literally sounds like a paintball gun (get asked at the range "WTF is that" ever single time). Absolutely love it (and love hitting steel at 200 yards with a flight time of like 1.5 seconds too lol).

If you have any questions let me know. I have full setups for 9mm, 300 blackout subsonic and supersonic, and .223/5.56. Gave up reloading .223 since Wolf steel cased is pretty much the same price even with shipping, so it's just not worth the effort to reload that to me (can still get decent groups at 100 yards with Wolf, even on a 10.5" SBR, which is plenty fine even for the competitions I used to do on a regular basis).

Nice dude done some experimenting I see.

Dochartaigh

Edo Express Delivery Guy
Nice dude done some experimenting I see.

Thanks. Only developed one single load so far (i.e. one not based off of reloading books or the manufacturers website load info) - but it was a fun one. Probably not looking into anything new until the supply of that certain powder dries up, or I can't find the same bullets I was using before or whatnot - then it's back to the drawing board to find a replacement.