Firearm enthusiast thread

xorthen

Banned
NOT TRUE 45 ACP is superior stoppin powah! MUTHA FUCKAS, IT HAS A BIG SLUG BOOOOLIT AND IS MORE POWAFUL

HellioN

, What The Fuck Is This Shit?
20 Year Member
NOT TRUE 45 ACP is superior stoppin powah! MUTHA FUCKAS, IT HAS A BIG SLUG BOOOOLIT AND IS MORE POWAFUL

Ha!
I know you're going the sarcastic route here but I always laugh when folks talk about handguns and "stopping power".
Handguns are pretty anemic in the big picture, you want stopping power?
Get a rifle.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Ha!
I know you're going the sarcastic route here but I always laugh when folks talk about handguns and "stopping power".
Handguns are pretty anemic in the big picture, you want stopping power?
Get a rifle.

Yeah...I couldn't agree more. There's not really such a thing as "stopping power" when it comes to handguns.

00 Buck at close range, now there's some serious "stopping power" blow a lovely 1.5" hole in someone from 10' and I'm pretty sure most people won't be getting up after that one.

SudoShinji

Zero's Tailor
I'll take a home defense handgun round over 5.56/2.23 anyday, there's definitely more stopping power in a round burrowing a massive shrapnel hole through you than a clean exit wound.

HellioN

20 Year Member
I idea actually is that the bullet stops in its target, depositing all the energy it has.
Passing through, irregardless of the size of the hole for the most part, does little.
A rifle round that does this will always deposit far more energy than any pistol round.

SudoShinji

Zero's Tailor
I idea actually is that the bullet stops in its target, depositing all the energy it has.
Passing through, irregardless of the size of the hole for the most part, does little.
A rifle round that does this will always deposit far more energy than any pistol round.

Rifle rounds are almost always gonna pass through which was my entire point bud.

HellioN

20 Year Member
LoLz!
I remember those pants. You probably could.

Thierry Henry

Tung's Hair Stylist
I'm not really a "gun guy" myself, although I have owned a few, courtesy of my uncle who had a small room filled with a variety of them.

So years ago I had a pristine Smith & Wesson Model 29. "being this is a .44 Magnum, the most powerful handgun in the world and would blow your head clean off, you've gotta ask yourself one question......" ;p

I had it together with its wooden presentation case. It got stolen back in '05. In this neck of the woods I wouldn't doubt that its "new owners" most probably used it for further robberies, and possibly even worse.

What I still have is this guy here. Haven't maintained it in years, and actually only took it out of a duffel bag from the attic when I was recently reminded of it by this thread.

L7eW0NY.jpg

uWYo59M.jpg

KNhvQsr.jpg

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
I'm not really a "gun guy" myself, although I have owned a few, courtesy of my uncle who had a small room filled with a variety of them.

So years ago I had a pristine Smith & Wesson Model 29. "being this is a .44 Magnum, the most powerful handgun in the world and would blow your head clean off, you've gotta ask yourself one question......" ;p

I had it together with its wooden presentation case. It got stolen back in '05. In this neck of the woods I wouldn't doubt that its "new owners" most probably used it for further robberies, and possibly even worse.

What I still have is this guy here. Haven't maintained it in years, and actually only took it out of a duffel bag from the attic when I was recently reminded of it by this thread.

L7eW0NY.jpg

uWYo59M.jpg

KNhvQsr.jpg

The quality of those things really isn't all that great, but they're still worth a ton because they were "banned"...if I were you, I'd sell that bad boy...

*EDIT*

Just noticed where your from...never mind...

Last edited:

Kiel

All About Shooters Mod., If you fuck with me, I'll
20 Year Member
Holy shit, that's awesome

hyper

fresh out of fucks
10 Year Member
needs a good cleaning

breach/barrel is probably rusted like a mf

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Well...as is typically the case with me, I've flip-flopped all over the place and landed in a spot I've been contemplating for some time now.

I've bounced around with small frame .38/+P revolvers for years now. Twice I've owned a 637 J frame and neither time I could grow to love it. They're difficult to fully comtrol, rather punishing with +P rounds and the trigger is pretty limp if you don't want to pay for a trigger job. I also had a SP101 in .357 and got rid of it as well (it was actually defective).

I've had my eye on the 627 pro in 4", it's a large size "N" frame in 8-shot .357.

Long story short, I traded my 637 on one today...gonna pick it up some time later (yay waiting period)

I'm not 100% sure, but I'm pretty sure I'm going to take it to a local smith who builds race revolvers and let him work his magic.

SudoShinji

Zero's Tailor
Well...as is typically the case with me, I've flip-flopped all over the place and landed in a spot I've been contemplating for some time now.

I've bounced around with small frame .38/+P revolvers for years now. Twice I've owned a 637 J frame and neither time I could grow to love it. They're difficult to fully comtrol, rather punishing with +P rounds and the trigger is pretty limp if you don't want to pay for a trigger job. I also had a SP101 in .357 and got rid of it as well (it was actually defective).

I've had my eye on the 627 pro in 4", it's a large size "N" frame in 8-shot .357.

Long story short, I traded my 637 on one today...gonna pick it up some time later (yay waiting period)

I'm not 100% sure, but I'm pretty sure I'm going to take it to a local smith who builds race revolvers and let him work his magic.

Perfect timing, I'm actually trying to decide between the 627 and 327 right now. How bad is the trigger?

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Perfect timing, I'm actually trying to decide between the 627 and 327 right now. How bad is the trigger?

Single action is superb, double is ok, I've read 10-12lbs stock. No matter what, it's far better than my J frame was.

327 is pretty pimp revolver...and as rare as unicorn horns where I live. I've literally never seen one. Either way, I personally wouldn't pick one up though, $330 more than the 627 is too rich for my blood.

HellioN

20 Year Member

L7eW0NY.jpg

uWYo59M.jpg

KNhvQsr.jpg

https://youtu.be/Uoy14h6K5TY

Thierry Henry

Tung's Hair Stylist
^^
Yup, pretty much. You don't want to get stuck with one of these in a firefight. Chances are things are going to go sideways for you.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Well...it figures, sometimes, if I didn't have bad luck, I'd have no luck.

Last week I was poking around online and happened to see where some people have been having issues with new S&W revolvers having boogered up barrel crowns. I went to pick mine up and sure enough, it was one of them.

At this point I had only a few choices; cancel the sale and walk away (they didn't have any more of that model), "upgrade" to a full Performance Center 627 for $350 more.

The reason why I didn't want the PC model is not only is that its a 5" vs the 4" mine came with, but for $350, I can get a better custom gun than what S&W PC offers.

So I called S&W, they were very helpful and emailed me a prepaid shipping tag within 30 min. I shipped the pistol out today.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Long time coming on this update.

I sent the gun off to S&W, they repaired it and sent it back. The whole deal took about a month.

Once I got it back, the thing still felt "off" so led me to this (something I posted a few weeks back elsewhere):

I'm not exactly sure how to explain it, but the DA trigger pull is "off". It's smooth, but unusually difficult to pull. I thought about attempting to mess with it myself, but then thought better of it. I had an old timer, well seasoned revolver fan friend of mine play with it and he noted how tough the DA pull was as well. I decided that I wasn't crazy and made the decision to get it fixed.

(A little info on my gunsmith, hes an older guy who has been doing revolvers for decades and is very good at what he does. The guy has forgotten more than I know about the inner working of the things, especially S&W.)

When I took the pistol to him a few weeks back, without even touching the thing, the first thing out of his mouth was "I've had to rework quite a few new S&W revolvers lately, every time it's the hand, it's out of timing and fighting the ratchet at the end of the DA pull."

He pulled my pistol out of the box, played with it a few times, and confirmed that to be the case. He handed it back, had me DA pull the trigger telling me to pay close attention to the last 50% of the travel, had me open the cylinder, fake the cylinder close, and pull the trigger again sans cylinder. Huge difference. The pull was consistent throughout the cycle with no ramp up at the end.

I handed it back, he made a few errant comments concerning modern S&W and then assured me that he'd get it fixed and get it back to me.

On to current.

I picked it up on Friday, trigger is now smooth as glass and the pull is MUCH improved. The DA is superb and the SA is just silly. He left some pepper on it so I could run factory loads through it without having light primer strikes.

I took it out on Sat and ran 200 rounds through it, a 70-30 mix is .38 and .357. DA is great and the firearm shoots perfectly. Even on a goof-off rapid fire I was able to keep all 8 rounds in a 6" group (at about 10yds). The weight of the barrel really keeps the nose down and allows for some great followup shots. I'll admit that.357 is more stout than I remember shooting in the past. I ran various rounds through it but by a large margin, the Hornady 125gr American Gunner ammo was the most stout. With the weight of the front end, recoil is darn near straight back into you palm. It not "punishing" by any means...but it does kick with full magnum rounds.

Either way, the thing is a blast to shoot. I love the 8 rounds as it makes for more time between reloads than you think 2 rounds would add. Moonclips were also great (I loaded them the night before). Its been a long time coming with this pistol, but the 2+ month wait was worth it. Here it is in its current form:

627_zpsqdczmozo.jpg

Kiel

All About Shooters Mod., If you fuck with me, I'll
20 Year Member
That looks beautiful

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Well...here's the long and short of this one. For years, my wife has been asking me for a .38 revolver. In the meantime, she stole my 9mm XD sub compact for her beside gun.

I was at a local place and happened to notice a used, police trade in model 67-1. For those not in the S&W lingo, the "-1" is the second generation of the firearm. the originals would have been a "no dash" model and were made. The 67 combat masterpiece is simply a stainless version of the S&W model 15. A .38 only, 4" revolver in their K frame offering.

The 15/67 is often considered to be one of the best balanced revolvers S&W ever made. Weighing in at the mod 30oz mark, and with a 4" barrel, this gun is a honey to shoot.

This one was made in the early 1980's, spent it life as a police training pistol, then was sent back in to S&W for rework before going back out on the market. It has the police property # etched into the back strap just below the hammer.

It has its share of nicks and scratches. I brought it home, did a complete cleaning (it was filthy), restored the top rear sight, and replaced the shot grips with some offerings from VZ. It took some time wet sanding out some of the worst scratches before hand polishing it with mother's then finally putting it on a buffing wheel. Again, it's not perfect, but it looks infinitely better than it did when I picked it up ($for $350, BTW).

We took it out yesterday and it shoots as well as I thought it would. Great weight, great balance, very accurate. I ran some 130gr, 158gr normal pressure loads and some 158g +P rounds through it, it handed them all perfectly.

In the end, it was given to my wife last night, and I finally got my XD back.

67-1%20no%202_zpsdbanmvxz.jpg

HellioN

20 Year Member

Wanted one of these for a while, sure 7.92 or 30-06 would have been better but I can live with 7x57 for as little as I'm likely to shoot it. Paid south of $500 for it if your curious.
I'll be breaking it down and cleaning it up when I get some time.
For now, I'm just glad to have one.

Dochartaigh

Edo Express Delivery Guy
Very nice!

And why did not one of your fuckers tell me there's a firearm topic here!!!?!?! Here's my two favorites: