Firearm enthusiast thread

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
So...this got me thinking:

http://shockwavetechnologies.com/site/?page_id=88

Pistol grip only shotgun, less than 16" barrels, but 26" OAL.

Now...I'll gladly admit that I've always wanted this out of my Stoeger:
IMG_5190.jpg

Sadly, Illinois does not allow NFA items...at least not SBS, so this is not an option...but...

Cutting the stock down on my stoeger and trimming the barrels down but maintaining an OAL of 26" may be an option if it is legal here...I'll have to look into it...

TonK

Least Valuable Player

IMG_5190.jpg

Sadly, Illinois does not allow NFA items...at least not SBS, so this is not an option...but...

Cutting the stock down on my stoeger and trimming the barrels down but maintaining an OAL of 26" may be an option if it is legal here...I'll have to look into it...

Smokes, I saw the Mossy 500 on that page you linked - is there a kit available for conversion?

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Smokes, I saw the Mossy 500 on that page you linked - is there a kit available for conversion?

Not sure...but I have been doing some reading. This seems to be the same as the AR pistol deal. If you take a lower registered as a pistol, you can pop a 16" upper on it all day. If you have a lower that is registered as a rifle, you can't turn it into a pistol.

It seems these firearms are made as a PGO (pistol grip only) firearm from the start...converting a full length shotgun into one is a no-no.

So...my Stoeger thing? Yeah...nope. Not legally in Illinois. In your state? Sure, if they allow NFA firearms. You'd just have to classify and register is as a NFA SBS I believe.

DNSDies

I LOVE HILLARY CLINTON!
So, I'm thinking of going Turkey Hunting next year, and I thought I'd spend the rest of the year researching and saving up for a $400 or less shotgun to do it with, and take it down to the range a few times to get a feel for it.

I also might go hunting for quails.

So far, I'm torn between a Remington 870 Express and a Mossberg 500/590.
I'm not terribly familiar with shotguns, as I've only ever had the chance to use a Savage many years ago, and all I own now are rifles and pistols.

Any advice or alternate recommendations?
12ga or 20ga?

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Firearms_Act

thanks!

mmmhhh??? you probably don't need a 12 for birds(poerwise).12 might go further? but you probably wouldn't see or be shooting at birds where that would matter if they do?

I probably shouldn't even say anything since I'm a noob tho?

Birds would be the farthest from my mind if I had a tiny shotty like the pic I posted. That one is more for mammals that stand on 2-legs...and loaded with a slug or buck...

TonK

Least Valuable Player
So, I'm thinking of going Turkey Hunting next year, and I thought I'd spend the rest of the year researching and saving up for a $400 or less shotgun to do it with, and take it down to the range a few times to get a feel for it.

I also might go hunting for quails.

So far, I'm torn between a Remington 870 Express and a Mossberg 500/590.
I'm not terribly familiar with shotguns, as I've only ever had the chance to use a Savage many years ago, and all I own now are rifles and pistols.

Any advice or alternate recommendations?
12ga or 20ga?

Mossberg 500 is built like a tank. You can't go wrong with one.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member

IMG_5190.jpg

The only question is where are you going to get a pistol-grip only (no stock EVER attached) double barrel shotgun?

All kinds of PG Pump shotguns from Mossberg, Remington, etc - but a PG only double?

Don't get me wrong - that's awesome.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
The only question is where are you going to get a pistol-grip only (no stock EVER attached) double barrel shotgun?

All kinds of PG Pump shotguns from Mossberg, Remington, etc - but a PG only double?

There isn't one...

If I loved in a state that didn't suck-shit, I'd just SBS the thing and be done with it. For now, that's a no-go...

BioMotor_Unitron

Global Moderator,
20 Year Member

Brazil, but I don't think they're being imported any longer.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Figured it was appropriate to post this here. I'm not tinfoil hatting or anything but wow man, California is a strange place

http://www.redstate.com/2015/12/30/heads-california-starts-notice-gun-confiscation-january-1/

I love that game...

Anti-firearm politicians/people constantly claiming that their endgame isn't to disarm us all is like the tobacco industry claiming that smokes do not cancer.

At the moment, you cannot just come out and flat ban/confiscate everything, thy know this. So...you chip away with "feature" bans until nothing is left save a scant few firearm types. Then you pass a law stating that they can take it from you for nearly any reason...then make you go through a series of bullshit if you want it back. Make the tests/regulations long enough and there you go, "common sense" confiscation, labeled as "temporary" but in reality...unless you sprout a unicorn horn, you're never getting it back.

That is literally guilty until proven innocent. We will accuse you of being a homicidal maniac, take your firearms, then make you prove to us that you're not in order to get them back.

Pasky

Fug:DDDDD,
http://edition.cnn.com/2015/12/31/politics/obama-to-announce-new-executive-action-on-guns/index.html

"Obama to announce new executive action on guns"

Supposed to be announcing more background checks on weapon purchases which I'm fine with. What I'm not fine with is if he's making so many hoops to jump through that it's nearly impossible to obtain one, which is what I'm sure is going to occur.

I still don't understand what this solves. A lot of 'mass killings' shooters are mentally ill, you're not allowed to probe into medical records because then that's a violation of privacy...So what does an even more extensive background check solve for that issue?

Bleh.

Last edited:

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Oh…and on a gun related note…finally getting around to finishing my 18" target AR. I have the 16" CAR in a good spot, as well as the 7" pistol…but the 18" is as of now, just an upper.

Ordered some parts today, have a lower on order too…I'll finish it in the next 2-3 months...

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
On Mobile, but:

ATF has removed the CLEO sign off requirement for transfer/manufacture of NFA weapons. This is a great boon, effectively removing a huge hurdle to NFA item acquisition. Expect suppressor sales to skyrocket now that you don't need the Sheriff or Chief to approve every purchase. I imagine manufacture of SBRs to increase as well.

Last edited:

Kiel

All About Shooters Mod., If you fuck with me, I'll
20 Year Member
On Mobile, but:

ATF has removed the CLEO sign off requirement for transfer/manufacture of NFA weapons. This is a great boon, effectively removing a huge hurdle to NFA item acquisition. Expect suppressor sales to skyrocket now that you don't need the Sheriff or Chief to approve every purchase. I imagine manufacture of SBRs to increase as well.

so just pay tax stamp and thats it?

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
You have to fill out the forms and all their requirements to get the stamp, but yes essentially.

Need to do more research.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
BUMP...finishing my build now. Here's the final parts list:

UPPER:
-Anderson "slick side" upper receiver (no fwd assist, no dust cover)
-Odin Works stainless 18" .223 Wylde 3-gun profile barrel, 1:8 twist
-VLTOR clamp on gas block
-Fortis RED muzzle brake
-BCM bolt carrier group
-Seekins Precision SP3Rv3 15" handguard
-Seekins Precision Keymod rail (bipod mount)
-Aero Precision Ultralight scope mount
-Vortex Diamondback HP 3-12x42 scope
-Standard charging handle

LOWER:
-Spike's Tactical standard lower
-Rock River lower parts kit
-Rock River 2-stage match trigger
-Magpul PRS stock
-Standard rifle length buffer tube, spring, buffer
-Ergo tactical deluxe sure grip -w- palm shelf

Still waiting on that LPK...so here's the mock-up
AR%20mockup_zps4kt7v6po.jpg

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Bump in case ppl don't know we have this thread.

Well the CA legislature and Gov. Brown (who wasn't too bad on gun stuff) fucked us pretty hard this week.

Probably going to have to register some of my guns as "assault weapons" - I dunno. All kinds of bad shit from making it harder to get ammo to banning 10+ round magazine (ex post facto, bruh)

Not sure what I'll do :(