Firearm enthusiast thread

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Have you considered a 1-4x scope for the rifle?
It would be a bit more accurate at distance & still be fast up close at 1x.
I'm betting the weight would be about the same as the 517+magnifier with the mounts.
Might be less cumbersome as well.
https://www.primaryarms.com/Primary_Arms_1_4X_24_Illuminated_Scope_PA14X_p/pa14x.htm
Just something to think about.

Possibly...I may sell my 517 to a buddy and get something like this:

https://www.primaryarms.com/Primary_Arms_4X_Compact_Prism_Scope_p/pac4x.htm

joecommando

Amusaka's Lacky
10 Year Member
So...doing some chewing on it, I'm going to designate my 16" to longer range shooting. I may even land up putting a 1:7 barrel on it with a full length gas system...but that's a long way off.

For now, I think I'm going to order one of these:
https://www.primaryarms.com/Primary_Arms_3X_LER_Red_Dot_Magnifier_Gen_III_p/pa3xlergeniii.htm

And one of these:
https://www.primaryarms.com/GG_G_Flip_To_Side_Magnifier_Mount_p/ggg-1670.htm

Swap the EXPS 2-0 to the pistol and put the 517 on the rifle.

yep those magnifiers are absolutely awesome you cant beat them for the price my buddy has that setup on his AR and it is really slick

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Short vid of todays session…note the complete lack of muzzle blast thanks to that Smith Vortex (it was a flame thrower before that). I was getting seriously rusty so I decided to work on some instinctive fire double tap on two B27 targets from close quarters distance…

Enjoy:

Darklighterx

J. Maximum Fan Club President
20 Year Member
Short vid of todays session…note the complete lack of muzzle blast thanks to that Smith Vortex (it was a flame thrower before that). I was getting seriously rusty so I decided to work on some instinctive fire double tap on two B27 targets from close quarters distance…

Enjoy:

What are you using for backstop?

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
What are you using for backstop?

Oh...about 1/4 mile of thick ass wood, then a land rise of about 30'...then about 2 miles to the next country road...

*EDIT*
I posted this over at the AR15 forums, a site notorious for assholes and bigots. The topic of AR pistol flame throwers comes up a ton, so I posted that video to show how well the vortex worked...

The the morons hammer me for shooting at 7yds instead...

I actually thought about explaining to them the fact that I was stretching that pistol out to 50+ yds and running it at 25yds just the week before...but I decided not to.

Last edited:

HellioN

, What The Fuck Is This Shit?
20 Year Member
Perhaps it's just your camera but that thing isn't as loud as I would've expected.
Then again, I'm used to shooting at indoor ranges.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Perhaps it's just your camera but that thing isn't as loud as I would've expected.
Then again, I'm used to shooting at indoor ranges.

LOL...thanks for the support over there...

My camera doesn't register volume at that level very well...that thing is stupid loud. I'm actually wearing double hearing protection because my cans aren't enough for that thing. Normally, a good set of foam plugs are fine for outdoor pistol shooting, that AR on the other hand? Yeah, not so much.

I should take that thing to an indoor range this winter...holy shit it would be loud indoors...

HellioN

20 Year Member
I would bet.
I know when I took my Kalashnikov to the indoor range
people were coming over from the other side to see what kind
of cannon I was blasting away with.

Darklighterx

20 Year Member
Oh...about 1/4 mile of thick ass wood, then a land rise of about 30'...then about 2 miles to the next country road...

*EDIT*
I posted this over at the AR15 forums, a site notorious for assholes and bigots. The topic of AR pistol flame throwers comes up a ton, so I posted that video to show how well the vortex worked...

The the morons hammer me for shooting at 7yds instead...

I actually thought about explaining to them the fact that I was stretching that pistol out to 50+ yds and running it at 25yds just the week before...but I decided not to.

Just read it. Fucking bigtymers and their cool toys.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Just read it. Fucking bigtymers and their cool toys.

Yeah...they can be serious pricks over there.

I expected it but the topic finally cooled down. For fucks sake though, if I would have thought I would have had my balls busted over my grouping...I would have just made a "rat-tat-tat" video to show off the Vortex and called it a day.

I will say this in my own defense...in IPSC, an "A" group shot is an "A" group shot, there's no levels. I was stoked in the video that I managed to keep the pistol in that A group and those motherfuckers were busting my chops over it. I still don't get it, perhaps their ignorant as to IPSC scoring? There is no "A+" LOL....

Marek

Banned
That's the thing with ARs and AKs…they are freaking fun to shoot. This is one thing that always gets me with the anti-gunners. They always ask me what I "need" a firearm like an AR or AK…and I always ask if they've shot one. When they almost always reply with "no" I tell the they should and then see if they still don't know the answer to that question.

Just like a 1800 calorie gentleman's feast, or sports car with 500 horsepower, or a TV as big as your wall…ARs and AKs and the lot all seem excessive (and in many ways are)…but they're so damn fun/enjoyable.

An AR is a well balanced, easy and freaking fun firearm to shoot…and not all are that way.

Amen smoker. Amen.

/me drinks.

Darklighterx

20 Year Member
Yeah...they can be serious pricks over there.

I expected it but the topic finally cooled down. For fucks sake though, if I would have thought I would have had my balls busted over my grouping...I would have just made a "rat-tat-tat" video to show off the Vortex and called it a day.

I will say this in my own defense...in IPSC, an "A" group shot is an "A" group shot, there's no levels. I was stoked in the video that I managed to keep the pistol in that A group and those motherfuckers were busting my chops over it. I still don't get it, perhaps their ignorant as to IPSC scoring? There is no "A+" LOL....
If I was going to bust your balls about the video, it would be about shooting the trees.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
If I wanted to get a gun, what's are the first steps I should take? Just the bullet points ;P
Crime in this city is starting to get to me. I'm not a fan of guns. Been to the range a handful of times, it is exciting. I'm afraid I'll shoot my foot off..... Glocks fit in my hand well.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
If I wanted to get a gun, what's are the first steps I should take? Just the bullet points ;P
Crime in this city is starting to get to me. I'm not a fan of guns. Been to the range a handful of times, it is exciting. I'm afraid I'll shoot my foot off..... Glocks fit in my hand well.

Range time...then some more...then some more. Also, a firearms safety course wouldn't hurt.

Do you really live in St. Louis? If so...and yes, I'm serious, I'm only about a 2.5 hr drive for you (I live in Peoria). You could come up here and I could teach you some stuff myself...and let you run my firearms through their paces.

Either way, you have to learn proper firearm safety, then spend time shooting and find out what you like to shoot. Then you need to shoot it...lots.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
I have to vent a bit…not so much a total full on bitch, but an irritation based observation…

An AR is a modular platform…and I understand this. You build an AR for the purpose in which you want to use it. You want one for close up shooting, build one for that. You want one for long range bench/rest shooting…build one for that. I also understand that some people don't have a ton of $$…but for fuck's sake…pick one purpose and run with it.

When I bought my first AR…I wanted a sub 100 yd fighting rifle. So…I got a 16" are with a carbine length gas tube. Having a HBAR, I didn't want a full length hand-guard to further weigh it down. I popped an EOTech on it can called it a day.

Now that I have an AR pistol for close up shooting, and as stated above, I'm going to designate my rifle for "reach out and touch something" use. It will get reworked in the coming year.

So…on to my point.

Time and time again I see someone build an AR clearly made for bench shooting…then they try to slap on a bunch of stupid shit to make it a close range fighting rifle…and it lands up looking like:

eotcwmt.jpg

Or this:
IMAG0070.jpg

Or this:
eo-31.jpg

A 15lb monstrosity with a bunch of shit slapped on to poorly make an attempt as some all in one shooting wonder. A bull barrel, 18-20" AR with a full length hand guard, bench-rest match grip, bi-pod, 20-power scope, a fucking flashlight and some red dot..and don't forget the single point sling so you can cut the blood off from your brain lugging that shit around...

I don't know why this seems to offend me so much but it just does…it makes me cringe every time I see something like that.

HellioN

20 Year Member

http://udrange.com
This is an excellent range to go to.
Lots of stuff to try out on the rental wall & they regularly offer classes @ decent prices.
I took my ccw course there & was quite satisfied.
I live in the St. Louis area, not very far from Fergastan to be honest, I own a few different pistols & if you are willing to buy the ammo, & I can find some free time from work, I would
be more than happy to show you a few things & let you shoot them.
Smoke's offer sounds good to me as well.
Always willing to try & help out a new shooter if I can.

HellioN

20 Year Member
I have to vent a bit

eotcwmt.jpg

Hahaha!
I always laugh hard when I see an ar like that. Especially when the optic is mounted to a drop in 2 piece plastic handguard than will never hold zero.
Then I cry a little when I see the carry handle is removable yet occupying the perfect space for the optic.

OMFG

The Portuguese Chop
15 Year Member
I have to vent a bit…not so much a total full on bitch, but an irritation based observation…

An AR is a modular platform…and I understand this. You build an AR for the purpose in which you want to use it. You want one for close up shooting, build one for that. You want one for long range bench/rest shooting…build one for that. I also understand that some people don't have a ton of $$…but for fuck's sake…pick one purpose and run with it.

When I bought my first AR…I wanted a sub 100 yd fighting rifle. So…I got a 16" are with a carbine length gas tube. Having a HBAR, I didn't want a full length hand-guard to further weigh it down. I popped an EOTech on it can called it a day.

Now that I have an AR pistol for close up shooting, and as stated above, I'm going to designate my rifle for "reach out and touch something" use. It will get reworked in the coming year.

So…on to my point.

Time and time again I see someone build an AR clearly made for bench shooting…then they try to slap on a bunch of stupid shit to make it a close range fighting rifle…and it lands up looking like:

eotcwmt.jpg

Or this:
IMAG0070.jpg

Or this:
eo-31.jpg

A 15lb monstrosity with a bunch of shit slapped on to poorly make an attempt as some all in one shooting wonder. A bull barrel, 18-20" AR with a full length hand guard, bench-rest match grip, bi-pod, 20-power scope, a fucking flashlight and some red dot..and don't forget the single point sling so you can cut the blood off from your brain lugging that shit around...

I don't know why this seems to offend me so much but it just does…it makes me cringe every time I see something like that.

As veteran, seeing this overbuilt monstrosity makes me laugh. All it needs is a bayonet attachment (you know...in case the owner claims he has to "get close and personal").

To each their own when it comes to preferences, but I can't see it as a working, functional rifle. It reminds me of those kids that build out those gaudy Honda Civics.

HellioN

20 Year Member
I think I may actually have the final evolution of this rifle.
Strangely enough, it is semi retro & quickly becoming the favourite.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Hahaha!
I always laugh hard when I see an ar like that. Especially when the optic is mounted to a drop in 2 piece plastic handguard than will never hold zero.
Then I cry a little when I see the carry handle is removable yet occupying the perfect space for the optic.

But Co-Witness! :emb:

I think I've posted this before. Here is mine

xsTHTH6.jpg

Since this picture I've added a flashlight and a better 2-point sling.

As far as a setup goes this rifle is done.

I still need a flashlight on my '74.

HellioN

20 Year Member
Good looking rifle.
I get the co witness, I do it on my "HSLD" AR, but Damn,
an optic that doesn't hold zero is useless.
I can understand if it's a budget thing but 5 minutes with a hacksaw, file, & a sharpie will
cut that carry handle into a great buis that will free up the
rest of the rail.
If nothing else sell the handle for $30 & your pretty close to buying an mBus.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Range time...then some more...then some more. Also, a firearms safety course wouldn't hurt.

Do you really live in St. Louis? If so...and yes, I'm serious, I'm only about a 2.5 hr drive for you (I live in Peoria). You could come up here and I could teach you some stuff myself...and let you run my firearms through their paces.

Either way, you have to learn proper firearm safety, then spend time shooting and find out what you like to shoot. Then you need to shoot it...lots.

I'll keep that in mind. I do some consulting with the USDA in Peoria. I'll make an excuse to go there sometime. I'm booked into Jan already, so it wont be anytime soon.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
I'll keep that in mind. I do some consulting with the USDA in Peoria. I'll make an excuse to go there sometime. I'm booked into Jan already, so it wont be anytime soon.

Yup…look me up anytime, I'm always happy to take new shooters out. I work well with them, I'm pretty easy going.