Firearm enthusiast thread

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
You would've loved Deathwish 3.... he pulls out a belt fed Browning AN M2 and sprays an alley full of gangsters with it while a little mexican dude follows him with the box of ammo lol.

Are you fucking with me?

I'm going to see this ASAP.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Time for me to see that movie.

EDIT: Holy fuck this movie looks awesome.

Last edited:

Kiel

All About Shooters Mod., If you fuck with me, I'll
20 Year Member
I took the XDm out to the range today to break it (and myself) in a bit. Now, with this said, I am an amateur shooter. I have shot nearly every caliber of firearm there is durning my time on this earth but I don't go to the range enough to be considered an expert.

I had a Taurus PT1911 in .45 before the SA but wanted a gun with more capacity and less umph. Call me what you will but an afternoon of firing .45 through a 1911 it would take a toll on my hands.

I gladly picked up the XDm last week based solely on expert reviews. I had shot the XD in 9mm, .40 S&W and in .45...I liked the gun but not enough to buy any of them. I read that the "m" line fixed many of my complaints and decided to jump on one. My first time out, first magazine I was able to get a decent 2" group at 20'...well within the IPSC "A" scoring group. I wasn't happy with my performance but I am new to the firearm and I was dumb enough to enjoy a double espresso before I left.

By the time I cleared 100 rds I had it down to a nice tight 1" group. Believe me, if this gun can make me look good, it can make most look good. I know how to handle/shoot a firearm but I'm in no way an amazing marksman.

The trigger on the XDm is precise, short, clean...whatever other thing you want to fill in, it's near perfect out of the box. I had a full trigger job on my 1911 with a comp STI trigger and reworked internals...the stock trigger on the XDm was surprisingly close. No slop what-so-ever, short pull...very clean. If you have a chance, go to a local gun store and try it out, you'll see what I mean.

My only complaint is the back strap. The medium that comes on the weapon is too large for my hand, in time I felt as it it was jabbing my palm. Thankfully you can swap it out and I will do so before returning to the range. I applaud SA for making the back strap replaceable and including a S, M, L set in the case (the double mag pouch, holster and magazine loader is also pretty sweet). They really listened to composite frame owners complaints on that one...that something I hear owners bitch about all of the time.

All-in-all....this is one amazing firearm. Straight out of the box it is smooth, clean and groups better than I can shoot. In 9mm you have an amazingly high capacity (19+1) and the 9mm round itself is not tiring in the least bit, unlike my 1911 I could have shot that XD for hours...the ammo is just too much $$ at the moment. Hell, it even made a believer out of my father who is a Hi-Power fanatic.

This is the first composite frame handgun I've ever owned and I can easily say, I don't regret purchasing it one bit. The only way I'll ever shed this thing is if SA releases a XDm+ or XDm2 or whatever they dream up to trump this gun like it has the standard XD.

Interesting that I just see this thread now. On Wed. I went and shot a HK P2000, a Glock 19, and a Springfield XD.

I fell in love with the XD and now after reading what you wrote I have to check out one of these XDMs and see just how much they differ before I decide to buy anything.

nhm

n00b
I don't have any pics of my current stuff, but here's an RPK kit that I never finished building. Right now I love shooting my semi-auto PPSH 41 and my original M91/30 PU Sniper rifle.

Here are some stripped SKS. I refinished them later.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Interesting that I just see this thread now. On Wed. I went and shot a HK P2000, a Glock 19, and a Springfield XD.

I fell in love with the XD and now after reading what you wrote I have to check out one of these XDMs and see just how much they differ before I decide to buy anything.

If you like the XD...you'll love the XDm...the basically took the few things tat weren't perfect about the XD and fixed them...

It's not a "perfect" handgun but considering the price and what you get for that $$...it might as well be...

Kiel

20 Year Member
Awesome, I'm gonna check it out on Monday. Might also shoot a smith and wesson 460 xvr as well.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Awesome, I'm gonna check it out on Monday. Might also shoot a smith and wesson 460 xvr as well.

Enjoy...if you're anything like me you'll fall in love with the XDm after only a few shots...it took one magazine to make a believer out of my buddy...he bought one too.

Xavier

Orochi's Acolyte
20 Year Member
You should've shown the target, you had some pretty good controll there after the first couple shots to about 3/4 way through.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Added a new stock to my 7.62x54mm Mosin Nagant tonight..

Mosin-2.jpg

I added the scout mount scope a while ago...

HellioN

, What The Fuck Is This Shit?
20 Year Member
Any problems with the scout mount holding zero?
Been thinking about doing something simmilar.

Kiel

20 Year Member
You were right smoke, I checked the xdm out on Monday and all it took was a few shots. I'll be getting one.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
You were right smoke, I checked the xdm out on Monday and all it took was a few shots. I'll be getting one.

Winner-winner-chicken-dinner.

Seriously...it really amazing me how nice that firearm really is. I despised composite frame handguns until I got my hands on the XDm...then it was all love, all the time...

Darklighterx

J. Maximum Fan Club President
20 Year Member
No women, no kids. That's the rules.

Picked up a beat up 92FS at the show yesterday. Pimped it out Leon style.
P1000260.jpg

P1000261.jpg

P1000262.jpg

Prices on ammo were down, but still high.

Bump!

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Well...it looks like I'm picking up a FN TPS shotgun and selling the 870...

I know a guy the closed down a gun store about a year ago and he has that FN new old stock and is willing to bust me a deal on it. I was going to get a Mossberg 930 SPX but after seeing the FN...I changed my mind. Here's a shot of the one I'm getting, it has the tac stock:

fn-shotgun.jpg

I liked my 870 but the fact that its an express model means it has stamped internals and I want something more sturdy...

What do you think?

Darklighterx

J. Maximum Fan Club President
20 Year Member
THe FN guns are really durable, but you will not find much aftermarket support for them.

THe factory in most cases will be your only recourse. It your were thinking semi shotgun, why not stick with semi?

The only thing I do not like on that one pictured is the collapsing stock.

If the deal is really good, you could always recoup your money down the road if you regret it later.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
THe FN guns are really durable, but you will not find much aftermarket support for them.

THe factory in most cases will be your only recourse. It your were thinking semi shotgun, why not stick with semi?

The only thing I do not like on that one pictured is the collapsing stock.

If the deal is really good, you could always recoup your money down the road if you regret it later.

I don't want to drop the $$ needed to get a good semi...and I don't want to half ass a budget model.

I really don't care about aftermarket stuff either...that FN is pretty loaded...a holo sight, sling and possibly a side shell holder and I'm set with that thing.

genjiglove

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
What is the name of/point of that barrel extension on the Beretta?

Poonman

macebronian
15 Year Member
Even though I started the thread I'm not really enough of a "gun guy" to know.
Ironically enough.

But I'm guessing it's a barrel weight/compensator and it's there to prevent muzzle flip/spinning in your hand when you shoot.

Usually there are holes along the top or upper corners so a lot of the flare shoots out the top like a rocket and pushes the gun down as well.

Like so:
compensator_0AT7.gif

Except that's a ported barrel doing pretty much the same thing. Doing that to a Beretta would be a shame (and it would look ugly as fuck).

Last edited:

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Even though I started the thread I'm not really enough of a "gun guy" to know.
Ironically enough.

But I'm guessing it's a barrel weight/compensator and it's there to prevent muzzle flip/spinning in your hand when you shoot.

Usually there are holes along the top or upper corners so a lot of the flare shoots out the top like a rocket and pushes the gun down as well.

Like so:
compensator_0AT7.gif

Except that's a ported barrel doing pretty much the same thing. Doing that to a Beretta would be a shame (and it would look ugly as fuck).

It also adds weight to the front of the firearm. Part of the problem of a semi auto is slide travel, not only do you have the force pushing back and up from firing the bullet, the slide then goes back to complete the ejection/reloading process.

Having more wight on the front helps to eliminate that whipping motion.

Exhibit A:
Trubor06_800w.jpg

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
That setup looks awesome.

Right now I think i'm in the market to get another firearm.

I'm kinda set on getting a CA legal semi-automatic rifle, but If I see the kind of revolver I want at the right price I might grab that up.