Firearm enthusiast thread

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Thanks. Only developed one single load so far (i.e. one not based off of reloading books or the manufacturers website load info) - but it was a fun one. Probably not looking into anything new until the supply of that certain powder dries up, or I can't find the same bullets I was using before or whatnot - then it's back to the drawing board to find a replacement.

Powder/primers is something I'm focusing on at the moment. I know during the absurd "panic" buy-outs, powder and primers were damn near impossible to find. I'm going to stock up on a few of the common types while the gettin' is good.

Dochartaigh

Edo Express Delivery Guy
Powder/primers is something I'm focusing on at the moment. I know during the absurd "panic" buy-outs, powder and primers were damn near impossible to find. I'm going to stock up on a few of the common types while the gettin' is good.

I would start with a small container of powder and make sure you like it. Then bite the bullet and spend the $100-200ish or whatever for the big 8 pound container to ensure you have that for a GOOD long while - they really don't go bad (for like decades even according to my uncle who taught me to reload) unless air/moisture gets into the container, and a stable room temperature just like anything else helps too of course.

Think I'm still on the same 8lb container of Accurate 1680 Powder, which loads something like nearly 5,000 300 BLK subsonic rounds (probably getting low but it's lasted a couple years by now).

Also always shop at a local gun shop or at a gun show for powder - by me (NE USA) the best prices have been at my local gun shows (and a local reloader who sells from his house). Even if it's a bit more in-person by chance, the HAZMAT fee you get by buying online is pretty pricy (if my memory serves they can vary greatly, but it's something like $20 minimum all the way up to $45ish? depending on the online store).

Last edited:

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
I would start with a small container of powder and make sure you like it. Then bite the bullet and spend the $100-200ish or whatever for the big 8 pound container to ensure you have that for a GOOD long while - they really don't go bad (for like decades even according to my uncle who taught me to reload) unless air/moisture gets into the container, and a stable room temperature just like anything else helps too of course.

Think I'm still on the same 8lb container of Accurate 1680 Powder, which loads something like nearly 5,000 300 BLK subsonic rounds (probably getting low but it's lasted a couple years by now).

Also always shop at a local gun shop or at a gun show for powder - by me (NE USA) the best prices have been at my local gun shows (and a local reloader who sells from his house). Even if it's a bit more in-person by chance, the HAZMAT fee you get by buying online is pretty pricy (if my memory serves they can vary greatly, but it's something like $20 minimum all the way up to $45ish? depending on the online store).

Its funny...shopping local for ammo is a generally bad idea, especially with defensive ammo. Powder/primers were priced very well locally, I didn't expect that.

Back on the yeah-no-yeah reloader thing...I may be back on track to just go with the Dillon 650. I'm working on a deal to sell some collectibles I've been wanting to shed and it should free up some funds.

I am going to opt for the auto case feeder as well as a few other things. I'll start off with .38/357 and 44 mag/spcl die sets. At the moment, I don't have much interest in reloading 9mm with as cheap as factory ammo is.

Last edited:

Montatez

Aero Fighters Flyboy
IMG_20190115_164304470~01.jpg

This is my new addition. Made in Idaho and over all great holster. The modular system is really to use and figuring out how to change to each type of holster is easy it did come with some pretty clear instructions. It also has a bonus holster mount that I can easy transition from out walking around to driving to pull it out and attach to my hip again.

The comfort level is by far and away better then the leather crossbreed IWB holster I had and any other cheap style crap.

I am also waiting on a new to me turret press so I can start reloading pistol ammo, it's a Lee Classic and pictures to come of that soon.

Last edited:

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Well...it looks like the week is finally here. Unless something goes wrong, I’m ordering a Dillon 550c with a setup for 38/357 and for 44 mag/spcl.

HellioN

, What The Fuck Is This Shit?
20 Year Member
191629.jpg

I present the tactical tuna!

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Now a bullpup is in the armory.

Very nice! I'll look forward to hearing your thoughts on it, bullpups are really polarized with shooters, some love them, others hate them.

I've decided to shoot what I got this year and as I stated earlier, get into reloading.

Which I have. I purchased a Dillon 550c and got everything up and running the past few nights. Here's a shot of the machine mostly set up:

s65y9NNh.jpg

Long story short, I loaded 40 test rounds to try out different powders and loads. These loads I decided to hand charge each round one at a time so I can get my load right before setting the Dillon auto powder drop.

I'm using these projectiles here 148gr WC from Oregon:
Shop Rifle & Shotgun Reloading Supplies | Dies | Bullets | Hulls | Wads | Powder - Precision Reloading

Per Oregon's loading data I made 10 each 4 loads:
3.0gr Titegroup
3.1gr Titegroup (their data stated 3.0-3.3 max)
2.7gr Bullseye
3.0gr Bullseye (their data stated 2.7-3.3 max)

I'm using Federal Champ primers.

Here's a shot of the round seated:

Bac1YpFl.jpg

I'm excited to take them out on Sat to see how they shoot...hopefully no issues.

I'll say that so far, I've VERY pleased with the 550, it's a great machine to use. Save hand charging the powder, once I got to actual reloading, it was a snap.

bustedstr8

Trollbox Trade Federation,
Any airgunners here? I'm itching to get back into shooting and was gonna start with a decent airgun. Looks like a lot has changed since my days with a 5mm Sheridan a 4X24 Tasco. I was lucky to shoot a 3" group at 20 yards with that thing.

I want something that's good to 75 yards in .25 or .30. I'll be using it mostly for target shooting, but I will need to blast a few critters with it now and then. I was thinking a 3-9X40 with a reflex sight combo would work great if I needed to take a fast shot a greedy groundhog.

HellioN

20 Year Member
Any airgunners here? I'm itching to get back into shooting and was gonna start with a decent airgun. Looks like a lot has changed since my days with a 5mm Sheridan a 4X24 Tasco. I was lucky to shoot a 3" group at 20 yards with that thing.

I want something that's good to 75 yards in .25 or .30. I'll be using it mostly for target shooting, but I will need to blast a few critters with it now and then. I was thinking a 3-9X40 with a reflex sight combo would work great if I needed to take a fast shot a greedy groundhog.

I've heard good things about the Benjamin marauder.
I know you can get it in .25 .

https://www.airgundepot.com/benjamin-marauder.html

HellioN

20 Year Member
S&M isn't really my thing. :lolz:
No, I don't own one or shot one.

mainman

CPS2 Person.,
20 Year Member
S&M isn't really my thing. :lolz:
No, I don't own one or shot one.

Lol:):):):):)

I decided to collect exclusively large caliber handguns. I picked up a S&W 460 and 500. Trying to find a LAR Grizzly in 50AE

HellioN

20 Year Member
My lil brother is a fan of big bore guns. I never got into that, I'd rather have cheap easy to get ammo that won't beat the crap out of me.
I'm not even a big fan of 12GA.
I do want one of those new Kel-Tec KS7s tho!

mainman

CPS2 Person.,
20 Year Member
My lil brother is a fan of big bore guns. I never got into that, I'd rather have cheap easy to get ammo that won't beat the crap out of me.

I am not even going to dispute ammo cost. I stockpile as much as I can of the stuff but rarely shoot any of it. The big bore stuff usually comes in a box of 20 at $45 so on a crazy day I will go through a single box. On top of that I'm in California so getting ammo is even harder and we can't have Kel-Tec KS7s here.

bustedstr8

Trollbox Trade Federation,
Thanks for the link Hellion. I was really leaning toward the new SIG ASP20 at first. It seemed like a solid gun for a breakbarrel. One reviewer put up a 1.1" group at 35yards. After doing some reading on how breakbarrels are hard to fire with the double recoil and how they beat up scopes I decided PCP was for me.

Everyone seems to love the .25 Marauders with the Green Mountain barrels and there were few accuracy issues with them like there had been with the .177 and .22 Crossman barrels.

Got a .25 synthetic Marauder on the way for $419 to my door.

I ran into Ted's Holdover while doing some research on the Marauder....this guy was raving about how much gun you get for your money. He is also a blast to watch....he likes to pest with his air rifles and will often pick off tiny European Sparrows from 100+ yards with a crosswind.

Last edited:

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member

I freaking hate shotguns...like a deep level type of hate. I will say that they are easily the most useful tool one can have, there isn't much it can't do.

I still have my FN TPS...sitting in the safe.

Lol:):):):):)

I decided to collect exclusively large caliber handguns. I picked up a S&W 460 and 500. Trying to find a LAR Grizzly in 50AE

I've never shot a 460, but I did shoot a 500 at a sponsored range day (I believe it was an 8"). The thing was freaking miserable to shoot, I didn't enjoy it in the slightest. It's just too hard on the wrist.

For me, 44 magnum is a sweet spot, and I love 44 special.

Concerning reloading...I'm taking to it like a fish to water, I should have got into it years ago. I ran a ton of those plinking 38 special loads and some 44 special in differing varieties of charge. I love how I can load the 44 from mild to wild, they really take well to that. I'm making some lighter loads for my Charter Bulldog, the thing plain stings with hotter rounds. One thing of note, I switched to Hi-Tek coated lead projectiles, big difference, zero leading.

I've been kicking around getting into 9mm next...

mainman

CPS2 Person.,
20 Year Member
I've never shot a 460, but I did shoot a 500 at a sponsored range day (I believe it was an 8"). The thing was freaking miserable to shoot, I didn't enjoy it in the slightest. It's just too hard on the wrist.

For me, 44 magnum is a sweet spot, and I love 44 special.

Concerning reloading...I'm taking to it like a fish to water, I should have got into it years ago. I ran a ton of those plinking 38 special loads and some 44 special in differing varieties of charge. I love how I can load the 44 from mild to wild, they really take well to that. I'm making some lighter loads for my Charter Bulldog, the thing plain stings with hotter rounds. One thing of note, I switched to Hi-Tek coated lead projectiles, big difference, zero leading.

That is the universal opinion about the 500. I am still waiting 30 days to receive mine but have fired one before. Three consecutive shots was my limit, the gun has too much recoil and I was only using 300 grain loads so imagine 700 grains. I bought the 460 and 500 to collect them while they're still on the roster.

Last edited:

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member

That didn't take long...

I bought all of the conversion stuff, got a good deal on some Berry's 9mm 115g projectiles so I ran them last week. Everything shot well on Sat so yesterday I ran 200 more.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
So around March 29 in some ongoing litigation a federal appellate judge rules California's ban on magazines over >10 rounds to be unconstitutional. So for a total week all mags were legal to purchase in CA, including from out of state. I only bought a couple PMAGs and a 17 rounder for my G17, but I did assemble all my "parts kits" so I've got a decent setup of mags (15+ ish pmags now.)

CA filed for relief due to irreparable harm, blah, blah, blah, and the order was stayed. So for a glorious week we were able to buy magazines. Not that I'd break the law or anything but CA is going to be flooded with magazines and anyone can just say they bought the magazine during that one week period while they were all legal to purchase and manufacture again.

Only thing I fucked up on was that I did not get any belted or linked ammo.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
So around March 29 in some ongoing litigation a federal appellate judge rules California's ban on magazines over >10 rounds to be unconstitutional. So for a total week all mags were legal to purchase in CA, including from out of state. I only bought a couple PMAGs and a 17 rounder for my G17, but I did assemble all my "parts kits" so I've got a decent setup of mags (15+ ish pmags now.)

CA filed for relief due to irreparable harm, blah, blah, blah, and the order was stayed. So for a glorious week we were able to buy magazines. Not that I'd break the law or anything but CA is going to be flooded with magazines and anyone can just say they bought the magazine during that one week period while they were all legal to purchase and manufacture again.

Only thing I fucked up on was that I did not get any belted or linked ammo.

I've been following that...what a fucking mess. We could sit and talk about how stupid magazine laws are in the first place, but it would just be an echo chamber. I do wonder how this is going to turn out.

Meanwhile, in Illinois, they'er coming full steam at us with both barrels...

Montatez

Aero Fighters Flyboy
I've been following that...what a fucking mess. We could sit and talk about how stupid magazine laws are in the first place, but it would just be an echo chamber. I do wonder how this is going to turn out.

Fuck sake... It's only a matter of time before we all are dealing with this.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member

It was nice to get a ray of hope but we’re still fucked lol. You guys have a “red flag” gun violence confiscation law yet?

Who needs due process, anyway.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
It was nice to get a ray of hope but we’re still fucked lol. You guys have a “red flag” gun violence confiscation law yet?

hey, you're still here? Happy belated.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member

Our looming issue is with this FOID thing. It's a card we have to have in order to own a firearm or even purchase ammunition. The entire thing is through the state police and is a hot mess.

The criminal that shot up that warehouse upstate a few months ago had his FOID revoked years ago, but had a gun anyway. Because of this, lawmakers are trying to tie everything but the kitchen sink to that card (despite the fact that background checks are mandatory on purchase). Crap like sending the state police to your house immediately for firearm confiscation if your card is revoked for suspended, an auto suspension of your driver's license if your FOID is revoked or suspended.

It's a mess here...typical crap, one criminal does something and a slew of new oppressive laws are submitted.