Anyone still playing Warhammer 40K these days? (tabletop game)

-SD-

Camel Slug
I have considered getting back into 40k a few times, I had about 3000 points of mostly Ultramarines and some Catachan Imperial Guard about 22 years ago.

However, I really don’t like the whole gothic thing going on with the human side of things. At least they’ve finally made Spacemarines that are a bit more true scale. I do like the Tau mobile suits and the Eldar are cool even if the models haven’t been updated in years. Forge World stuff also kicks ass, I’m definitely more into modelling and painting than playing as I think the rules are flawed.

The main thing that’s keeping me from going back is the cost. Quite frankly I think Games Workshop are taking the piss with their prices. £22.50 for a single miniature that consists of three parts on a single sprue! So I ended up getting into Gunpla as you certainly get much more of a model for your money.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Yeah i'm a bit torn with computer based sculpting. I am tired of painting the same effects the sculptors have to use. They are a little endearing now, but I wouldn't want a whole army of hand sculpted mini's. There's just so much more detail in these new sculpts, but there is such a thing as too much.

I am also not a fan of the current competition paint schemes. Everything highlights to White, and the colors look too comical with the contrast. White edge everything!

Late

Reichsf?rer-Finnland,
20 Year Member
AdepticonPreview-Mar22-Deepkin4kvcdjgs.jpg

Age of Sigmar went full retard.

FAT$TACKS

Not Average Joe., Not Average Homeowner., Not Aver
15 Year Member
Gamera is friend to all children!

giant-flying-turtle-gamera-flying-everything-demotivational-poster-1262667559.jpg

NeoSneth

20 Year Member
I am also not a fan of the current competition paint schemes. Everything highlights to White, and the colors look too comical with the contrast. White edge everything!

Full retard indeed. Had to quote myself with that paint scheme too. White all the things!

On a lighter GW note, Has anyone played Shadespire? It has some momentum right now. Just curious if GW will actually support it.
I like the idea of only needing a small gang of units, and then you customize with cards. The downside is I hear you need to buy other gangs to get all the card to customize your deck.

Last edited:

djjimmyjames

NG.com Tattoo Artist.,
15 Year Member
Well since fantasy is ruined I want to sell my over 5000 point Dwarf army and get some 40k stuff.

FAT$TACKS

Not Average Joe., Not Average Homeowner., Not Aver
15 Year Member
Well since fantasy is ruined I want to sell my over 5000 point Dwarf army and get some 40k stuff.

I was pretty hyped for the new 40K stuff for a while, but it is kind of getting goofy as well.

I'm to the point where I've been dumping my stuff with the plan of just keeping my old books and all the stuff for Inquisitor that I've horded up.

I've been looking into some other table top games. Right now Gaslands has caught my interest. Other than that, I've been reading up on medieval Europe and wanting to do some HYW.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Guys...

I might start playing Star Wars Legion. Any experience with? By playing i mean I might build up a single tournament legal Imperial army and then collect some of the other models as I want to use them for Star Wars Roleplaying games.

There is something just too appealing of having an army of miniature stormtroopers.

NeoSneth

20 Year Member
There is something just too appealing of having an army of miniature stormtroopers.

Yeah? Try painting stormtroopers. they are absolutely the worst thing to paint. You cant be sloppy and just hide everything with a wash. You need your best brushes to get those black gaps, eyes, and helmet pieces. Painted quite a few for Imperial Assault.

This is what I've found that works for me.
-Use your lightest grey. Don't go with full white.
-black the joints and key helmet pieces. Cleanup will almost certainly be required.
-Light wash with mixing medium and black wash. Usually 2-3 coats. Keep it thin. Don't allow it to build up anywhere.
- 4 to 5 layers of white dry brushing. Start with the light grey and work up to a white. Be patient and keep it a dry brush. Not heavy.

I do something similar with the Imperial equipment. Larger stuff i use an airbrush for grey and I edge wash carefully. Imperial stuff is always so clean, and it doesn't look right if you try to go too weathered. Edge highlight with drybrush or brush edge.

I actually don't play Legion. I know myself, and I would not be able to just have a squad.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
I'll let you know how it goes. Bought some Legion stuff last night :emb:

Jeneki

Enemy Chaser
I tried out Legion at Adepticon a few months back. To be honest the rules did not impress me at all. For example, for movement purposes the unit leader is the only model that exists, with the rest of the squad just sort of there as window dressing and teleport around next to him. Also I very much dislike picture dice and game-specific measuring tools. The unit activation rules are nice though. Anyway I picked up some imperial stuff, for use in other games. There's Snowtroopers now, awww yeah!

I gave up on 40k a bit into 3rd edition. For scifi gaming I used to play Ground Zero Games stuff: Stargrunt II and Dirtside II. They're oldschool and generic to any setting, I think they're free downloads now if you search for them. Lately though I've mostly been using Reaper's Combat Assault Vehicle which does a great job of capturing combined-arms in a scifi environment, with heavy emphasis on electronic warfare. Also I was in on the beta rules for Polyversal, which pretty much does everything the way I like; Hopefully that gets released soon as it will be my go-to game for the foreseeable future.

Spycee

Cheng's Errand Boy
Being in the 501st Legion, I'm always interested to try star wars themed games. I've heard good comments on Legion from fellow 501st members, it's a game I want to try someday.

NeoSneth

20 Year Member
It is a decent miniatures game. Borrowed a quite a bit from Warmachine.
It's very focused on scenario, so it's not just a back and forth attrition game.

Spycee

Cheng's Errand Boy
It is a decent miniatures game. Borrowed a quite a bit from Warmachine.
It's very focused on scenario, so it's not just a back and forth attrition game.
Meh. I prefer Star Wars Miniatures, where you can simply pick a squad and begin to play.

NeoSneth

20 Year Member
Meh. I prefer Star Wars Miniatures, where you can simply pick a squad and begin to play.

that style of miniature game doesn't last long. See : Star Wars Miniature Game

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
The miniatures in legion are a trip.

They don't come on a sprue. I bought some snowtroopers and got 7 bags, each containing one storm trooper. Minimal assembly. Couple different poses across the models. $20 for a unit expansion. Not bad.

Late

Reichsf?rer-Finnland,
20 Year Member
Up, up, and away!

Creature caster models has some nice sculpts, and are reasonably priced compared to Forge World.
vulture2-store_1362d040-1b57-4b3f-90ff-984e15233c27_1100x.jpg

F4U57

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
That’s a cool Greater Daemon of Tzeentch.

NeoSneth

20 Year Member
I've done a lot of painting lately. Mostly for Warhammer Quest - Blackstone Fortress.
These are my first GW mini's in more than a decade, so I'm mostly sticking to the source colors.

Attachments

• resized.jpg
    resized.jpg
    656 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:

Late

Reichsf?rer-Finnland,
20 Year Member
Nice one, we've been playing Blood Bowl quite a lot, exhibition matches only, but we'll probably start a league for 2020.

Oh and happy birthday Sneth!

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Been reading the Horus Heresy books this year.

Been some talk at my gaming group of running Rogue Trader or some 40k rpg.