Anyone still playing Warhammer 40K these days? (tabletop game)

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Alright! Looks like I've entered the nerd cavern. My brother was into warhammer but he never finished the playing pieces like those shown above. Do you get many neck beards while playing at the games workshop stores on a tuesday afternoon?

Late

Reichsf?rer-Finnland,
20 Year Member
^Dunno, never played at a GW store, only with old friends (and still do) The only organized Warhammer event I ever went to was a tournament at uni which ended up that people, me included, were so drunk that nobody cared who won.

FAT$TACKS

Not Average Joe., Not Average Homeowner., Not Aver
15 Year Member
Anyone besides me looking forward to 8th edition. I've not played using GW rules since 3rd, but thinking I may get back into it with the new rules set. Also glad to see that they sort of brought back Necromunda, not quite what I was dreaming of but it's a start.

Now if they would just bring back Inquisitor and make more figures for that.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
GW is still on probation in my books. I am not getting into anything GW until they show they will consistently support a specialty game. ShadeSpire and ShadowWar both look like they could be hits. The problem is GW typically prints and forgets. Have they done anything with the Warhammer Quest reboot? How about anything other than 40k? Age of Sigmar has been getting some steady hits and misses.

I've been watching them closely after the termination of their FFG deal. GW components in a good boardgame would be great, I just haven't seen them do that in decades. The market has been pushing towards skirmish games for the last 10 years, and GW still only cares about rank and file. Everyone left bloodbowl for guild ball. Too late on that GW. Everyone else does WH:Quest better than GW.

This company is going no where.

Late

Reichsf?rer-Finnland,
20 Year Member
Last evening I talked with the usual suspects about staring to play Mordheim again, this time I'll probably go with an undead gang.

F4U57

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
Last evening I talked with the usual suspects about staring to play Mordheim again, this time I'll probably go with an undead gang.

Cool! Ever play Necromunda?

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
When are we going to get an AAA Warhammer 40K video game that isn't Dawn of War?

NeoSneth

20 Year Member
When are we going to get an AAA Warhammer 40K video game that isn't Dawn of War?

never.
Space Marine was pretty good for just f'n sh*t up.

Warhammer Total War is the best we're gonna get for a GW game. I really like Vermintide if it wasn't such a gear grind fest. Fantastic game outside of that.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
40K deserves a total war game.

It's really what we all want.

Total War: Apocalypse. Center the game on Space Marines/Imperial Guard and make the rest of the xenos playable in multi.

NeoSneth

20 Year Member
40K deserves a total war game.

It's really what we all want.

Total War: Apocalypse. Center the game on Space Marines/Imperial Guard and make the rest of the xenos playable in multi.

...but then no one would buy all the overpriced plastic army men. that has been GW's strong mentality for the last 20 years.

I've been surprised that most other companies have been quite generous with Tabletop Simulator, Boardgame Arena.com, and the Vassal engine.
Personally, I would shut down those systems if they used my IP without license. I know the community says it actually grows player base, but I call bullshit. I have a feeling some of the big companies are just waiting for those systems to get big enough, and then they will launch the lawyer brigade to take all assets for themselves. Only Tablestop simulator seems to offer paid services. /rant

F4U57

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
Yes I did, in my early teens, I had a Spyrer gang, loved the Predator-like ones.

Damn straight man, I ran Spyrers too. I've still got my gang along with the Patriarch. Never got the Matriarch.

The Predator ones were Malcodons. I ran two of those ;)

Last edited:

Late

Reichsf?rer-Finnland,
20 Year Member
I rummaged in my bitz box and found two Dregs and the retard Vampire, the stereotypical Hammer/Ravenloft one semi-flying towards you, cape open with a sabre in hand. So last night I stripped and cleaned them, now they're assembled, based and undercoated. One of the Dregs was incomplete so I made a standard bearer of sorts out of him.

fluxcore

Another Striker
Super disappointed with what they think a 'return to necromunda' is :p

Still wanting an Escher gang even after all this time...

NeoSneth

20 Year Member
Super disappointed with what they think a 'return to necromunda' is :p

Still wanting an Escher gang even after all this time...

GW not meeting consumer wants or demands? when does that ever happen?

All they have to do is release and mildly support their old franchises and they would be rich.
I'd throw down on some Man o War

Last edited:

FAT$TACKS

15 Year Member
I got my Shadow War Armageddon book in the mail today. It's a nice book over all. Not really the reboot to Necromunda I wanted, but still looks to be a fun game. Though, If I wan to play the old rules, I guess I just have to dig them out of storage. Anyhow, I can see what they were going for here. Some interesting choices in the units and I kind of feel like that was an attempt to move some models that don't normally sell as well maybe.

Aside from that, the info they have been releasing on 8th edition looks promising still.

Some of their best stuff has been from their non core ranges though, so it's a shame to see all that stuff just go to the wayside. Also, their historical games like Legends of the Old West, those were really fun.

As far as getting into skirmish games I've picked up the rules for Pulp Alley and that looks really promising. Also, Frostgrave looks pretty solid.

If all goes to plan once I get my paints back out of storage I'm going to finally get around to doing up some of my Inquisitor stuff I've been hording onto.

Mac91

I wonder if anyone saved my dickpic?
10 Year Member
Bump: anyone here play Age of Sigmar? I'm building a 1000pt Vampire army, which had only 11 models in it. Mental.

NeoSneth

20 Year Member
No.
I've definitely grown to appreciate GW's mini quality, but I have no interest in starting one of their wargames.

Been on a painting kick lately tho.

Massive Urethra Chode

Disciple Of Orochi
All three of my younger brothers play warhammer 40K and D&D

Tabletop games are coming back with the younger people born in the early 2000s, though I don’t know any 90s babies that play it.

FAT$TACKS

15 Year Member
I thought pretty hard on it. I was going to get back into 40k and fantasy. I picked up the starter set for Age of Sigmar and thought the figures were pretty impressive quality wise.

I soon decided to just focus on the stuff I really like and have been parting ways with all the minis I'm not going to use, so I never did any thing with it.

The new GW models are very well done, but I don't care for the style much anymore.

If the ever bring back Inquisitor I'll be set.

Late

Reichsf?rer-Finnland,
20 Year Member
^I agree with you, the new WoW-like aesthetics do nothing for me, nor the enormous toy-like Monster etc... kits. We're still playing 3rd/4th ed FB and RT/2nd ed. 40k, Mordheim development has stalled due to irl bad blood between a few of the players :D

Mac91

I wonder if anyone saved my dickpic?
10 Year Member
I totally agree on the big models: these are miniatures games, keep things small.

The older, darker fantasy felt more realistic and gave the world a complex narrative. Now we pretty much have half of everyone is a goody, the rest are all baddies.

FAT$TACKS

15 Year Member
I totally agree on the big models: these are miniatures games, keep things small.

The older, darker fantasy felt more realistic and gave the world a complex narrative. Now we pretty much have half of everyone is a goody, the rest are all baddies.

I look at the new sculpts for the larger things and it boggles my mind the thought of trying to transport those around. I understand the idea of wanting to have a centerpiece model for your army, but some of these new ones just border on the absurd.

I look at them and can't imagine it being an fun (for myself) to try and paint them.

Here is a shining example.

Alarielle the Everqueen, not only is it 130 bucks, for .50 cents worth of plastic, but it just looks like a nightmare to put together and paint. Then to store and transport it.

99120204015_AlarielleEverqueen01.jpg