IKARUGA april 9th XBLA

Kid Aphex

samus' love slave,
Pitbul09 said:
i downloaded today and wow i love this game the graphics are great and same with the sound track! I never played this same are there others?

radiant silvergun.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
Pitbul09 said:
i downloaded today and wow i love this game the graphics are great and same with the sound track! I never played this same are there others?
HEY HEY LET'S GO PROTECT MY BALLS! LET'S FIGHTING LOVE!

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Pitbul09 said:

As far as gameplay mechanics go, Not really...

Kiken

Camel Slug
Reports from Super-Play:
Franz The Stampede said:
Got the game, seems pretty much the same of what I tried in January.

I can confirm they screwed up Shigi. They swapped the colours of the initial position of the lasers and inverted the direction in which they rotate. The best strategy seems to start from the bottom left (which is now red), stay to the right of the laser as blue and release as red when you have no room left.

Unluckily, because Shigi initially moves to the left and the lasers rotate to the right, the laser trail is much more "vertical" and it's a lot more difficult to shoot it as blue without freaking die.

This whole thing is SO SO SO annoying.

They also screwed BIG time something with the homing lasers in 4-1. There are moment in which enemy ships cannot be targeted and will be blatantly missed by the lasers. Also the lasers might not distribute intelligently enough among the enemies, which means some of them will survive. I spent about an hour this afternoon and I couldn't find any decent and consistent strat. I do believe there is a serious problem as even looking at the replays of currently top players, they mostly fail at chaining 4-1 properly.

I'm officially disappointed with this version.

Kid Aphex

samus' love slave,
Kiken said:

well, where there's a will there's a way.
let's be optimistic and assume it'll just take some new strategizing...
naive to consider it a bonus, but at least its not the exact same game as 7 years ago...
:)

Kid Aphex

samus' love slave,
it may be the control [im used to playing on a dreamcast pad] but i had some difficulty manuevering around some enemies near the end of level one. never really had a problem before.

BIG

sony fanboy
i'd like to get a 360 again along with this, but i'm still reeling from the effects of rrod...

any word on when a more 'relaible' model is coming out?

Kid Aphex

samus' love slave,
norton9478 said:
Like what?

rrootage, shiki no shiro1, 2, 3, and so many doujin shmups until it got old so they all started going the popcorn shmupper route again.

rrootage is really fun though as a time waster, and any pc could handle it. go download it, for sure.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Kid Aphex said:
rrootage, shiki no shiro1, 2, 3, and so many doujin shmups until it got old so they all started going the popcorn shmupper route again.

rrootage is really fun though as a time waster, and any pc could handle it. go download it, for sure.

I guess...

As far as gameplay mechanics go, I was talking about the whole White/Black thing....

Or the fact that you can go through the entire game without firing a shot....

Last edited:

BIG

sony fanboy
norton9478 said:
I guess...

As far as gameplay mechanics go, I was talking about the whole White/Black thing....

i've always considered 'ruga more of a puzzle game than an actual shmup, myself.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
BIG said:
i'd like to get a 360 again along with this, but i'm still reeling from the effects of rrod...

any word on when a more 'relaible' model is coming out?

I thought the modesl out now were more reliable than the old ones, especially if you get one that has HDMI. I'm not 100% on this, should be an easy look up.

I'm downloading Ikaruga as we speak.

Had it on GCN and DC, but sold both systems and games.

The game definitely is more of a puzzle than a shooter in some respects, perhaps thinking man's shooter?

Either way Ikaruga has the best soundtrack in a game. EVER. FACT.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
BIG said:
i've always considered 'ruga more of a puzzle game than an actual shmup, myself.
Ohh yeah, that's why I like it...

It seems to really impress non-shumpers when they watch me play.

Because of all the bullets and shit flying around.

But it is so much more simple than a real maniac shump.

Kid Aphex

samus' love slave,
norton9478 said:
Ohh yeah, that's why I like it...

It seems to really impress non-shumpers when they watch me play.

Because of all the bullets and shit flying around.

But it is so much more simple than a real maniac shump.

do you play on easy or normal?

the reason i ask is,

easy is a LOT more puzzle-ish. because you don't have to worry about the enemies suicidebullets at all.

normal is a lot harder because it turns into a manic shmup+puzzler, when you're trying to dodge their suicide spray.

i used to play it on easy ALL THE TIME. i conquered the game backwards and forwards, and when i moved onto normal, it was one of the most difficult, difficulty-transitions i've ever had to deal with .

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Kid Aphex said:
do you play on easy or normal?

the reason i ask is,

easy is a LOT more puzzle-ish. because you don't have to worry about the enemies suicidebullets at all.

normal is a lot harder because it turns into a manic shmup+puzzler, when you're trying to dodge their suicide spray.

i used to play it on easy ALL THE TIME. i conquered the game backwards and forwards, and when i moved onto normal, it was one of the most difficult, difficulty-transitions i've ever had to deal with .

Yeah, I am switching right now......

It is a very different game on the harder settings.........

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
So, I remembered how to chain like most of the first stage. After that it's all down hill, and I can't smoke the boss on stage 1 like I used to.

Took me awhile to remember what the hit area was like on your ship, and i'm still having troule with that.

Is it me or are the controls for the 360 more sensitive than on GCN or DC? I think I might just suck ass though.

Love that soundtrack.

Kid Aphex

samus' love slave,
Lagduf said:
So, I remembered how to chain like most of the first stage. After that it's all down hill, and I can't smoke the boss on stage 1 like I used to.

Took me awhile to remember what the hit area was like on your ship, and i'm still having troule with that.

Is it me or are the controls for the 360 more sensitive than on GCN or DC? I think I might just suck ass though.

Love that soundtrack.

way more sensitive.

Kid Aphex

samus' love slave,
also,

i just played coop with someone and it was near impossible. so much lag. but not really a big deal to me, two-player is a bit too difficult for me anyways. im good at single.

BIG

sony fanboy
co-op is practically useless when it comes to playing manic shmups.

Kiken

Camel Slug
I just spent an hour and half with the XBLA version. I didn't notice anything odd about the control.. although, I was using one of the DOA4 arcade sticks (I'm not even going to attempt playing this with a 360 pad).

I found that the glitches reported by the guy on Super-Play really were quite annoying. Playing chapter 4 feels very awkward as a result.

Graphically, the game just appears smoother... however (and this may be a result of the specific HD set I was playing on), the amount of bloom they added is obnoxious. The glow from bullets, enemies and explosions was very subtle in the DC version (as a result everything appeared very sharp, with fairly high contrast)... the XBLA version takes this to an extreme and everything has a lot of glare further softening the image, which I honestly found just a tad distracting.

Jedah Doma

Chroma Ma' Doma!,
I was thinking about buying this, but then I realized I had a real physical copy on the GC. Add to that the annoying glitches and problems don't really make it worth my while.

Bishamon

Azu Bla, ,
Lagduf said:
I thought the modesl out now were more reliable than the old ones, especially if you get one that has HDMI. I'm not 100% on this, should be an easy look up.

Yes, the current models shouldn't be affected (or it will be a more more rare occurrence). There have been at least two motherboard revisions: the Zephyr motherboard with HDMI has additional cooling added, and the newer Falcon also has a cooler 65 nm CPU which should have further increased reliability.