PS2, HDLoader, and PS1 Games

Zero Satori

Jaguar Ninja
So, a long story short, I found a cheaply-priced PS2 broadband connector today and swiped it up, installed a spare hard-drive with HDLoader, and have been having a great time laughing at how stupid the old load times were on some of my games.

Everywhere I go on the Internet, however, it says that HDLoader is incapable of playing PS1 games. Why, I don't know (maybe for legal reasons) but most of the posts on this topic I find are between 2002 and 2004, so I don't know how accurate they are as to using a regular version, patched version, etc. of HDLoader to load games. (Specifically, I'm mad at the Final Fantasy Chronicles version of Chrono Trigger, which ruins itself with load times.)

If anyone knows anything about patches or different load-programmes for PS2's hard drive so that I can load and play my PS1 games on it, any help would be much appreciated.

Loopz

Formerly Punjab,
As far as I know, HD Loader never could successfully boot up PS1 images.
The only solution for that was using the Toxic OS with a chipped system in tandem with a hard drive.
I could be wrong, but when I was heavily into that...that was what I learned.

Zero Satori

Jaguar Ninja
not sonic said:
you need something like this to get rid of the loads.
Good answer. Honestly, if I had never owned that version, I really wouldn't care about the PS1 version's load times, but now my younger brother's holding on to that age-old treasure for me. (Bastard.)

Loopz said:
As far as I know, HD Loader never could successfully boot up PS1 images.
The only solution for that was using the Toxic OS with a chipped system in tandem with a hard drive.
I could be wrong, but when I was heavily into that...that was what I learned.
Hmm. Well, I do have a modded PS2, so I'll look into Toxic OS. Thanks for the info, Loopz.

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
aint gonna happen, hdloader can never load ps1. you need a chipped system

J. Max

judas,
There's a swap disc called "Breaker" that can do it, but I'm not sure if that works with HD Loader or not. Theoretically, I guess you could load up the "Breaker" disc ino HD Loader and then run your PS1 games...

Murray

Akari's Big Brother
It's not likely to ever be possible to run PS1 games from the HDD. Not with HDLoader, HDAdvance, Toxic OS, or anything.

When the PS2 runs in PS1 mode, it's using its IO controller as the cpu. HDLoader (and variants) use that processor to run the drive emulation driver that's used to remap dvd calls to the game partition on the HDD. Also, PS1 games don't go through that driver for their drive access anyway, so even if the driver were running on the EE (which it isn't, and never will be because the EE is disabled in PS1 mode), it wouldn't work.

It's been gone over hundreds of times already. It's never going to happen.

Zero Satori

Jaguar Ninja
Murray said:
When the PS2 runs in PS1 mode, it's using its IO controller as the cpu. HDLoader (and variants) use that processor to run the drive emulation driver that's used to remap dvd calls to the game partition on the HDD...It's been gone over hundreds of times already. It's never going to happen.
Thank you for the concise response. I suppose that's all I need to know.