Found a Hyper in my closet.

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
You know, we've seen before with other releases how there are right and wrong ways to do emulated collections. Some run fine while others are a mess. Since we haven't even seen the HNG64 emulated in the open souce community yet, it's unlikely that the lazy SNK Playmore of today would bother, let alone reprogramming the games completely to run on new hardware.

Verythrax said:
Maybe it will re-surface someday, in a drama filled way hitting this forum, ebay, neostore and Japhei.
How often does original source code from Japan turn up randomly outside the company it's from?

Verythrax

OWES ROT MONEY!
Neo Alec said:
You know, we've seen before with other releases how there are right and wrong ways to do emulated collections. Some run fine while others are a mess. Since we haven't even seen the HNG64 emulated in the open souce community yet, it's unlikely that the lazy SNK Playmore of today would bother, let alone reprogramming the games completely to run on new hardware.

Well, difficult to know, we even don't know how hard is to emulate that thing, and the mininum hardware specs to make that emulator run smoothly.

Neo Alec said:
How often does original source code from Japan turn up randomly outside the company it's from?

Well, we even saw japanese manufactured, never-released official SVC Chaos MVS carts surfacing in US - and they weren't "old new stock" - so everything is possible. :rolleyes:

Since it's "lost", it can be anywhere - if it still exists.

Last edited:

Neo Alec

20 Year Member
Verythrax said:
Well, we even saw japanese manufactured, never-released official SVC Chaos MVS carts surfacing in US - and they weren't "old new stock" - so everything is possible. :rolleyes:
Official SVC carts are pretty common. I think they were very likely officially released outside Japan, just late. That's a lot different from source code, which is my point.

Verythrax

OWES ROT MONEY!
Neo Alec said:
Official SVC carts are pretty common. I think they were very likely officially released outside Japan, just late. That's a lot different from source code, which is my point.

They are really different from source code, but despite some members here acknowledging they as official cause they use official parts, SNKP never announced this release, or confirm it - just some guy started selling it. Dunno if I missed anything more conclusive after the whole drama.

SSS

neo retired
Neo Alec said:
Finding out something is emulated after you paid a bunch of money for it makes you feel like you might have wasted your money, and that's not fair because the alternative is stealing.

here's where you couldn't be more wrong. Most SANE people in this hobby try the rom first to see if it's worth the money to purchase, not the other way around. I won't plunk down a few hundred dollars on a game without trying it first. I'd be especially pissed if I bought a shitty game, I don't worry about games I own being emulated. I like being able to play my Neo games on the road with the PSP.

but that's where you and I differ on opinion, you see your games as an investment, not what they are: games.

Neo Alec

20 Year Member
Verythrax said:
They are really different from source code, but despite some members here acknowledging they as official cause they use official parts, SNKP never announced this release, or confirm it - just some guy started selling it. Dunno if I missed anything more conclusive after the whole drama.
It makes sense the late release wasn't announced, plus with SNK Playmore being really new and generally in disarray at the time, it shouldn't be any huge surprise. What would have been a bigger surprise is if they had decided to release the first MVS game as a standalone board only.

Neo Alec

20 Year Member
SamuraiShodownSensei said:
here's where you couldn't be more wrong. Most SANE people in this hobby try the rom first to see if it's worth the money to purchase, not the other way around. I won't plunk down a few hundred dollars on a game without trying it first. I'd be especially pissed if I bought a shitty game, I don't worry about games I own being emulated. I like being able to play my Neo games on the road with the PSP.

but that's where you and I differ on opinion, you see your games as an investment, not what they are: games.
If they were an investment, I'd be planning to sell them some day. They are definitely just games. As I've explained already many times, I simply don't use emulators and only buy real games because I've never known any other way, and have no intention of changing things. I'm happy. Personally, I don't think it's necessary to try games first since I can mostly deduce all that I need to about the quality of a game from reading about it. My standards aren't that high.

It seems like the emulation community is very quick to make up ways in which buyers are justifying their purchases. ("Collection, investment" etc.)

SSS

neo retired
Neo Alec said:
Personally, I don't think it's necessary to try games first since I can mostly deduce all that I need to about the quality of a game from reading about it.

you do realize how incredibly stupid that is, right? especially with the high dollar cost of arcade collecting.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
When did they loose the Source Code? the Yakuza Era?

Also, SNK-P can't emulate MVS games on the PS2 or PSP.

So better hope that individuals make a decent emulator. Doesn't matter, SNK Arcade anthology should have been all pre-neo games... Plus Crystalis.

SSS

neo retired
norton9478 said:
When did they loose the Source Code? the Yakuza Era?

no need to deal with SNK-P, NJ's MVSPSP emulator is pretty spot on. his cps2 and cps1 is practically flawless. well worth installing custom software on a slim for.

Neo Alec

20 Year Member
SamuraiShodownSensei said:
you do realize how incredibly stupid that is, right? especially with the high dollar cost of arcade collecting.
No. I haven't bought anything very expensive (rarely over $100). If the system wasn't working for me, I would have stopped doing it by now. Stupid for you maybe, but my preferences differ.

norton9478 said:
I don't remember complaints about most versions of Metal Slug Anthology. Perhaps those people were ignorant of how bad they were.

Last edited: