Street Smart -- a young Takuma and Jeff Bogard?

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
I was half-joking, but no, I meant Jeff.

Always wanted a Fatal Fury prequel...

galfordo

Analinguist of the Year
15 Year Member
LoneSage said:
I was half-joking, but no, I meant Jeff.

Always wanted a Fatal Fury prequel...

I do not understand your cryptic ways mang.

Dash no Chris

Jaguar Ninja,
The original arcade release of Street Smart did not name the two playable characters. English-language text on the back of the Japanese arcade flyer refers to them as "karate-man" and "wrestler." The American flyer doesn't even go that far.

Packaging and promotional materials for Treco's Genesis port refers to them as "Karate man" and "Crusher."

The only time Street Smart's two playable characters were given proper names was in the Japanese release of Treco's MegaDrive port of the game. Player-1 is classified as a karateka 空手家 and given the name Tsutomu Amano ツトム・天野 while Player-2 is a pro-wrestler プロレスラー named John Schnider ジョン・シュナイダー (these names appear in the text on the back cover of the game's packaging, but not in the manual).

--Chris

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Yeah, they may not be Tak and Jeff, but I like to imagine player-1's design inspired Tak's design.

Thanks for their real names, even if Treco most likely made them up.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
LoneSage said:
Yeah, they may not be Tak and Jeff, but I like to imagine player-1's design inspired Tak's design.

Thanks for their real names, even if Treco most likely made them up.
I allways felt the same way, this was one of my favs back in the arcade when I was a kid.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
I don't remember the source but read somewhere that Takuma's design was based on a well-known (in Japan) Karate sensei.