Hyper 64 issues.....

TLH

Zero's Secretary
First some background info, my 64 board has both a stereo out and a blue volume pot which allows adjustment through the jamma connector. Second, although my cab is a hyper, it was a rev 2 cab and did not come with additional harnesses for +5. It has the stereo leads, but the only way I could get sound out of my board was to mod it to allow for mono sound. However, the sound is adjustable through the blue volume pot.

My question is, do I have to connect an auxillary + 5 to the board to protect its jamma edge? I have read the posts and it seems that some say it is not needed while other insist it is. My Buruki 1 game seems to play fine without issue now, but I want to be sure it stays that way. What was the final word on this issue?

Your help appreciated, TLH

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
Well, if it's a Rev 2 board like you say, you shouldn't need the power harness. But from what you said I can't tell if it's a Rev 1 or a Rev 2. Rev 2 should have an MVS/JAMMA switch on it.

Pas

Camel Slug
Here is an old thread of mine where I posted pics of my rev 2 boards. If its a Rev1 I would hook up the aux power...if its a rev2 I wouldnt. But thats just me. You can always try without and if it gets glitchy or odd then attach it later.

Grinwing

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
Agreed. I would hook up the additional +5 and ground (shouldn't be too hard if you have done some mods already) if the board is a rev 1. I am guessing it is since you state that the cab was for a rev 2 (which would leave no issues if the board was rev 2.)

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
I am pretty sure the power harness is only to take heat away from the jamma edge, but I've never used it and it still works.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
The consensus on this board used to be that not using the cable will damage the board over time, it seems. There is no doubt it will appear to work fine without it connected.

TLH

Zero's Secretary
I don't know if it is rev 1 or rev 2 because it has both

a blue volume pot on board and the black stereo output knob. My rev 1 did not have the blue volume pot on the board. This board has both. As far as connection goes, I connected the board up jamma only. The system seems to play fine. If it gets glitchy or hot, I will connect up an additional harness. Thanks for all your replies. TLH