Question on Neo Geo AES power supply

channelmaniac

Mr Neo Fix-it
15 Year Member
There are 2 different Neo Geo power supplies... 5v 3A and 9v 1.2A

I haven't memorized which pro-pow adapter is which, but if you post a pic of the game board I can tell you with a quick glance which one your will take.

RJ

holyver

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
neo geo JAP AES power issue?

Hello,
Thanks for the quick answer
here are some pictures
http://www.flickr.com/photos/37955762@N03/

also, if I originally used the wrong power supply, do you think that my system is damaged?

thanks a lot in advance
cheers

Last edited:

channelmaniac

Mr Neo Fix-it
15 Year Member
That one takes the 9v adapter... It's easy to tell by the 5 pin TO-220 style regulator down by the reset button.

9v 1.2amp

If you have a Fry's by you, this adapter will work:

http://shop4.frys.com/product/5221177

That's the one I use on my test bench when I repair units.

holyver

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
Thanks a lot channelmaniac
I'll do as you say and come back to say how it went!

cheers

holyver

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
thanks channelmaniac

it works exactly as you said!

cheers

2D_mastur

Is he greater than XD Master?
10 Year Member
There are 2 different Neo Geo power supplies... 5v 3A and 9v 1.2A

I haven't memorized which pro-pow adapter is which, but if you post a pic of the game board I can tell you with a quick glance which one your will take.

RJ

So is the 5v 3A and 9v 1.2A specifications only for a US AES? There are only 2 possibilities? I've heard a Sega Gensis power adaptor will work, but I'd hate to buy a Genesis just for an adapter.

How do people in the USA power a jap/euro AES?

Kpj

Larfleeze, Wielder of the Orange Light. , formerly
So is the 5v 3A and 9v 1.2A specifications only for a US AES? There are only 2 possibilities? I've heard a Sega Gensis power adaptor will work, but I'd hate to buy a Genesis just for an adapter.

No, the difference is not region specific. Sega Genesis (1st model) PSUs will power the 9V AES systems only.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member

5v consoles can only take 5v as a power source.

The other version console can take 9v, 10v, 11v and 12v as a power source if it has the 5 pin TO-220 device.

SNK made 4 types of 5v PSU:

PRO-POW (Wall): Input 100v : Output 5v@3A
PRO-POW-UL (Wall): Input 120v : Output 5v@3A
PRO-POW-PAL (Tabletop): Input 220-240v : Output 5v@3A
PRO-POW2 (never seen one, so can't confirm it exists)

Other PSUs:

PRO-POW-3 aka NEO-POW3 (Wall) : Input 100v : Output 10v@1A (Version 1) 11v@700ma (Version 2)
PRO-POW-E (Tabletop) : Input 110v-120v or 220v-240v : Output 10v@1A

Hewitson

Metal Slug Mechanic
5 pin? What sort of regulator do they use, I always just assumed it was a couple of 7805's like the Megadrive.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
The AES uses a LM2576T on the +9v/+10v/+11v consoles.

2D_mastur

10 Year Member
Thanks for the info guys. I need to get a PSU with a deadly quickness. The only local place that has 'em is Radioshack, the kings of overpriced electronics.

Hewitson

Metal Slug Mechanic
Am I the only person who keeps the AC adapters from things that have fucked up? I can usually find one suitable for just about anything.

NEO-GEO man

Fake account, shill troll for Christophe Ratel. Us
I remember my first NEO AES came with a 12v 1A transformer in the box, said on the base to use PRO POW E, the revision of that i dont know cause i sold it many years ago, the AES i have now says use PRO POW 3, and its a Japanese console. Ive been using the Sega Mega Drive 10v transformer on that.

Just a note since i saw someone ask about the amp rating on a transformer, the rating must be the same or higher than required, the rating 5v 3amp doesnt mean its spitting out 3 amps all the time, it means 3 amps is the maximum it can supply at 5 volts, so using a transformer with a rating of 4 amps is perfectly fine, cause it can easily supply the 3 amps required with abit more headroom there.

You can use a power supply that is rated 30 amps if you want to, as long as the voltage is correct. The machine wont pull more current than it needs to do its work.

Hewitson

Metal Slug Mechanic
It really shouldn't be the same, it's not good to run something at it's maximum capacity.

Also keep in mind that a plug pack is more than just a transformer, it's a linear power supply. All the transformer does is step down the AC voltage. It then passes through diodes for rectification and capacitor(s) for filtering.

NEO-GEO man

Yep, if indeed it is to supply a DC machine such as this is. Any DC power supply will do the job provided its heavy enough to supply the current drawn by the connected device.

If 3 amp is what came with it, then 3 amp is more than enough. Thats 15 VA, against the 10.8 VA from the 9 volt power supply, 10 VA from the Mega Drive power supply, and 12 VA from the "Plug Pack" labeled unit i got with my first AES here in Australia ( from Mr Toys Computer Games World in the Queen st mall, Brisbane )

2D_mastur

10 Year Member
Can a stock Jap AES PSU be used in the US? Or does one need to aquire another powersupply?

NEO-GEO man

If i takes 100-120v then yes.

There is abit more to it than that, have to be sure it is compatable with the frequency of the local supply. In this case it may not be a big deal and will likely run on both 50 and 60 Hz, but be sure first.

So with my first post I throw a wrench into the above answers...

I have a Japanese AES (Serial 241621) that normally uses a NEO-POW3 (DC 10v 1a) power adapter. This will not work in the USA, so I am currently using a Sega Genesis Ver. 1 power supply (DC 10v 1.2a). This has worked for me just fine up until last week...

I bought a Super MVS Converter II. I am playing Puzzle Bobble on it, and the system keeps resetting. I looked around some other threads, and this is probably a voltage issue. I read through THIS thread, and from what I understand, I can use one of those Fry's branded multiple output adapters, but I wanted to run that by all of you first. Nobody likes a popped AES.

I also saw (this, but it doesn't give any power information other than "tested and working!"

opinions? comments?

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
It's not a voltage problem, it's a current problem. The one in the Neostore is +12v@3A and the Fry's one is +12v@1.2A, esentially the same as the one you already have. Get one that has more current.