SCARTto Component question

Drewmantrivia

Crazed MVS Addict
The first one will not work at it only adapts Scart component to component over RCA jacks.
The second one will work for what you are doing but, you will need to wire up audio jacks from the Scart adapter to get sound out as that box does not pass audio.
Good luck man! It will get you some sweet video out if you go that way.

ravenmgs

Armored Scrum Object
How hard do you think it would be to add a/v audio out or a 3.5mm audio jack to this?

Drewmantrivia

Crazed MVS Addict
It should be super easy to do. Just crack the scart plug head and find the audio lines and solder the lines up to rca or mini jack extension running out the back neck of the scart jack.

chaoticjelly

Kabuki Klasher
David. J on the Sega-16 forums has done this (added sound output to a SCART to component transcoder) I'm sure if you have any problems, you could ask him for some advice.

From what I gather they work very well if you're in the States :)

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I ordered the exact same Atlona transcoder you have listed, I will post impressions next week after I get it and the cable (that coincidentally I bought from chaoticjelly.)

When I get home I'll post pics of David J's audio mod to it, it's really simple. All you do is take a set of RCA cables, cut the ends off and solder them to three easy points on the motherboard. Then you just have to dremel/cut a little notch to get your cable to come out of it.

Supposedly, the transcoder works pretty well. It's not as good as true RGB out of the console, but it's damn close. I picked it up since buying the transcoder + SCART cables for all my consoles is cheaper than component modding any one system. The bad part is if you are in the US you have to wait for international shipping to get your SCART cables, and many cables that are for sale are trash.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Okay, here's the link to the pics, courtesy of my homies at the sega-16.com forums:

scart1.jpg

Finished converter

scart2.jpg

The notch you file/cut out to allow the cord to pass though

scart3.jpg

The underside of the board where you would need to solder.

I believe the guy was originally going to mount some jacks on the unit, but there wasn't enough room for it. The above method seems much easier.

ravenmgs

Armored Scrum Object
would love to see a clearer picture of that ground connection.

let us know how it looks!

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
I have used the Altoona before...

Worked great for me...

As good as a Jrok or Neobitz/

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
ravenmgs said:
would love to see a clearer picture of that ground connection.

let us know how it looks!

When I actually get mine and do the mods I will take a high res pic, but the insides of the RCA cable should have a left signal (clear) right (red) and the ground is the exposed copper. It looks like he just twisted the grounds together and soldered them.

I have ordered Scart cables for the Genesis, SNES/GC, Dreamcast, and the Saturn. So if this works I have effectively spent $125 total to get component out of five systems. Awesome.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Okay, I got the SCART transcoder and the Genesis 2 SCART cable today, and hooked them up to the X'Eye.

All I have to say is... HOLY SHIT

I never knew a Genesis could look this good. It's so colorful and sharp, which seems really weird to say because of years of living with the Genesis's crappy composite out. Castlevania, Streets of Rage 2, and Beggar Prince all show a dramatic improvement.

I can't wait for the other cables to get here so I can try the other systems out.

chaoticjelly

Kabuki Klasher
Hey, just in case anyone reading this is interested.

I can now offer brand new handmade (highest quality) Sega Saturn Stereo RGB SCART cables.

This is thicker quality cable than third party cables, fully screened and shielded, and they work with all region Sega Saturn consoles (the third party ones often say that they work with all region consoles but in fact do not work with Japanese consoles as they are incorrectly wired..)

I also have loads of other RGB SCART cables I can make, so if anyone wants anything just drop me a PM and we can sort something out.

saturn_rgbscart_1.jpg

saturn_rgbscart_2.jpg

saturn_rgb_bigtv_2.jpg

TurboCro

AESwipe,
Chaotic is a great seller, just bought a genny 2 scart cable!

On a related note, I attempted using a SCART to Component cable adapter (SCART Male to 5-pin RCA Component Male). The audio and composite signals work fine, but the component will not show. I'm trying to use it to get component out from my SNES and Genesis (via SCART RGB). Any ideas?

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I'll vouch for Chaoticjelly too. The MD2 cable is super thick, and wonderful. I may have to get that Saturn cable, since the cheap one I got is very thin with little shielding so there is a tiny bit of interference.

TurboCro: It sounds like you are using a basic adapter, and not a transcoder. The adapters only pass a signal, and since the SNES and Genesis don't output a component signal, it won't work. What you need is the transcoder like we were talking about above, it takes the RGB signal and converts it to component.

duo_r

Armored Scrum Object
update for everyone, I obtained this box a few months ago. Instead of having wires come out, I actually just put in a mini audio jack.

img0011dj6.jpg

and also a DB9 connector so I can make my own custom RGB cable for a couple of my systems. I did buy a Scart cable for my SNES however.

img0013bm4.jpg