Arcade Lightguns with RGB encoders

billd420

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
10 Year Member
Can anyone tel me if my light guns (Namco blow-back type) will work on a TV using either a Neobitz or JRok composite/svideo encoder? I've got a really cool project in mind, but its all dependent on the video encoder being compatible.

In theory it should work, as the namco guns do not use extra sensors like the sega ones.

Let me know please!
Bill

Kyuusaku

B. Jenet's Firstmate
Video encoders won't affect them in any way, your TV might however.

billd420

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
10 Year Member
Kyuusaku said:
Video encoders won't affect them in any way, your TV might however.

Yeah, the TV must be a tube TV to function properly from what I understand.

The question is, will compressing the RGB signal make the guns not register on the hit target. I could have sworn I read something about it being incompatible a while back.

-Bill

Does anyone have any experience with this? Was thinking of getting a area51/maximum force board but don’t know if the guns will work through the jrok

titchgamer

Guerilla Warrior
Does anyone have any experience with this? Was thinking of getting a area51/maximum force board but don’t know if the guns will work through the jrok

No idea, But Area 51/Max force uses Happ light guns which you can still get hold of very easily and plug straight into the board.

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
As long as it's a CRT without digital processing, it will work. Converting the signal to composite, s-video, component doesn't impact compatibility with light guns.

As long as it's a CRT without digital processing, it will work. Converting the signal to composite, s-video, component doesn't impact compatibility with light guns.

Thanks for the info good sir. I should be good. I got a Panasonic that does component and a Pelco Pvm that does a really nice S video. I’ll report back with confirmation

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
It's a bit game dependent too. My Konami M2 games (Total Vice and Evil Night) will not work if you go from RGB to a different signal. Zero idea why. It works perfect on my PVM but if I convert the signal to anything else and plug my supergun into a larger consumer CRT, the guns do not register.

Granted thats just ONE pcb, but the answer really isn't universal but board / game dependent in my experience

It's a bit game dependent too. My Konami M2 games (Total Vice and Evil Night) will not work if you go from RGB to a different signal. Zero idea why. It works perfect on my PVM but if I convert the signal to anything else and plug my supergun into a larger consumer CRT, the guns do not register.

Granted thats just ONE pcb, but the answer really isn't universal but board / game dependent in my experience
That’s good to know. Thanks for the info. So it sounds like there is no definitive yes or no as to will lightgun games work with a supergun. Even beyond the boards themselves you also have the monitor your using and different style guns and probably some others variables I don’t even know about

titchgamer

Guerilla Warrior
That’s good to know. Thanks for the info. So it sounds like there is no definitive yes or no as to will lightgun games work with a supergun. Even beyond the boards themselves you also have the monitor your using and different style guns and probably some others variables I don’t even know about

I have a A51/Max force PCB and have run it on my CRT via my supergun with the original guns no problem.

Bratwurst

Rugal's Thug

I think I read somewhere that some arcade lightguns worked best with the blue signal over the other two colors, as in this was a matter of adjusting for that color for the sensor to work. Would have thought it would be purely a black and white thing dealing with sync.

It works!!! I ended up getting a police trainer board. Running it through a JROK via component. A couple hiccups but works for the most part