I've never played E-SWAT

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
But I just watched the whole Genesis version of it on youtube and holy shit did I miss out. I always skipped it because of the box art.

So!
This is a thread for all the E-SWAT fans!

BIG

sony fanboy
check out the original on MAME, if you must.

much, much better than the shitty genesis 'port'.

OMFG

The Portuguese Chop
15 Year Member
E-Swat was a fav of mine when I was in Portugal. With all these new remakes of older games (Alien Syndrome, etc) I wonder if this one will come over to the states as a SEGA AGES remake. Also, I'm pretty pissed that the newer version of the Phantasy Star series didn't come over.

"EEEEEE-SCHWAT!"

dakingofzumunda

Robert Garcia's Butler
Got this back in 91 with my Genesis system, Altered Beast and Michael Jackson's Moonwalker for Christmas.

I totally played the heck out of it since i couldn't afford any other games besides the three i had.

I loved the weapons when the player became the Robocop type outfit. The "Plasma" and the 360 flame attack(forgot the name) that used all the "Burner" jetpack were my favorites. I remember you would lose your special weapons if you had them equipped if you died.

I thought the music was awesome overall. Especially the Boss music. I loved the twist at the end of the game where you had to fight a green version of the Robocop suit.

I finally got to play the arcade version thanks to MAME a few years back and i still prefer the Genesis version over it. I have to say that this game has a special place in my gaming heart. Would like to see a remake or next-gen sequel but with Sega's track record these days with remakes, i'm not sure anymore.

WoodyXP

Setsuna's Owl Keeper,
15 Year Member
LoneSage said:
But I just watched the whole Genesis version of it on youtube and holy shit did I miss out. I always skipped it because of the box art.

So!
This is a thread for all the E-SWAT fans!

If you like it on the Genny then do yourself a favor and play the Arcade version. Much better game, IMO.

abasuto

Orgy Hosting Mod
15 Year Member
I use to have the master system port back in the day.

You should get the SMS ROM just to see how horrible it is.

By far the worst of all the genesis/arcade games that they ported down to the SMS.

WoodyXP

Setsuna's Owl Keeper,
15 Year Member
I like how he crouches and walks... kinda looks like a chimp.. hahahha..

HellioN

, What The Fuck Is This Shit?
20 Year Member
BIG said:
check out the original on MAME, if you must.

much, much better than the shitty genesis 'port'.

If you think the Genny version was bad you should play the SMS version.

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
Gonna play it tonight. All I seem to remember was that fighting heliptor boss on the elevator on level 1

galfordo

Analinguist of the Year
15 Year Member
WTF?

I thought the Genesis version was much better than the arcade.

Of course graphics and sound were better for the arcade version, but the Genesis version was just more fun.

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
big love for the megadrive version of the game. first megadrive game I ever owned. truth was though, it owned me.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
went to the mom 'n pop shop I haven't visited in over a year tonight and bought it. can't wait to play, although I wish I hadn't seen the whole video! I'll just have to forget everything.

when I gave her the game to ring up, she went to a video game market value guide even though it already had a price sticker on it...and she fucking wonders why I haven't shopped there for so long :oh_no:

Rade K

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
genesis version is ace. Classic Sega.

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
LoneSage said:
went to the mom 'n pop shop I haven't visited in over a year tonight and bought it. can't wait to play, although I wish I hadn't seen the whole video! I'll just have to forget everything.

when I gave her the game to ring up, she went to a video game market value guide even though it already had a price sticker on it...and she fucking wonders why I haven't shopped there for so long :oh_no:

Did she charge you more than the price on the sticker? If so, you could get her in trouble for false advertising.

hanafuda

Dr. Brown's Time Machine Mechanic
Arcade version was excellent from what I remember.

Don't know about the rest. Seem to recall avoiding the Genesis version because it wasn't a port of the arcade version.

Edit:

Watching that YouTube video reminded me of just how crap the main character design is. Got to be one of the least appealing player characters in history. The guy even looks like a tool when he is kitted out in the exoskeleton. No wonder Robocop got all the attention.

Last edited:

abasuto

Orgy Hosting Mod
15 Year Member
LoneSage said:

After you left they pulled out the banjo, fired up a corn cob pipe and laughed about hustling you.

Rade K

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Wait, was the price you purchased it for more expensive than what was on the sticker?

Where I come from, that's illegal.

Weevus

15 year old,
15 Year Member
A guy in a pawn shop did that to me the other day. It was Club House Games on the DS. The original price sticker was 12.95, but it was marked out and when I asked them how much he wanted, he actually said "Let me look it up, I don't want to charge you too much". I saw he just looked on Gamestop's website and came back and said $20.

Not a terrible deal, but that really pissed me off that he had the nerve to try and say he was looking it up online for my benefit. I didn't buy it, needless to say.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
About the price -- she didn't change it. Luckily for me I found the game with a box and manual for only $5, and I guess when she saw the value in the book she must have figured 'screw it'. But yeah, years before when I still shopped there regularly she used to do that shit, maybe only raising it a few bucks higher, but raising it nonetheless. At that point I'd haggle her on the price, saying (and what I said was true, they still have hundreds of games, just sitting there) I was the only person who actually bought the games.

But whatever!
I played some ESWAT last night on Normal, got to the fourth level boss and died. The 'exploding brain cases in a mad laboratory' idea was re-used exactly for Shinobi 3, ahahaha.
Anyways lovin it so far.
Reminiscient of Shinobi: Shadow Dancer, not only because of the entirely different arcade conversion, but in gameplay too.

And oh yeah, stumbling across the boss music theme is what set off this whole 'I gotta get ESWAT' thing. Soundtrack is fantastic, but that boss music is tops.

OMFG

The Portuguese Chop
15 Year Member
Weevus said:
A guy in a pawn shop did that to me the other day. It was Club House Games on the DS. The original price sticker was 12.95, but it was marked out and when I asked them how much he wanted, he actually said "Let me look it up, I don't want to charge you too much". I saw he just looked on Gamestop's website and came back and said $20.

Not a terrible deal, but that really pissed me off that he had the nerve to try and say he was looking it up online for my benefit. I didn't buy it, needless to say.

I ran into a similar situation at a pawn shop a few months ago. The guy tried to raise the price on an old coleco mini arcade machine w/ batteries (pacman). The item was still in box and was pretty mint. Here I'm thinking "Hey, mint in box and not much wear on it!". Price on it stated $25.00. After taking it out of the case he then proceded to his computer and pulled up Ebay. He comes back and states that it's currently worth $75.00 in it's condition. So I tell him that he's not getting that and walk away. As I'm leaving he says fine...$25.00. I turn back and say $20 or nothing. He agrees.

My whole rule about dealing with those shops is that if they want to play dirty or screw you out of an item, you can always walk away. To them a sale is better than no sale.

Weevus

15 year old,
15 Year Member
OMF2097 said:
I ran into a similar situation at a pawn shop a few months ago. The guy tried to raise the price on an old coleco mini arcade machine w/ batteries (pacman). The item was still in box and was pretty mint. Here I'm thinking "Hey, mint in box and not much wear on it!". Price on it stated $25.00. After taking it out of the case he then proceded to his computer and pulled up Ebay. He comes back and states that it's currently worth $75.00 in it's condition. So I tell him that he's not getting that and walk away. As I'm leaving he says fine...$25.00. I turn back and say $20 or nothing. He agrees.

My whole rule about dealing with those shops is that if they want to play dirty or screw you out of an item, you can always walk away. To them a sale is better than no sale.

I kind of hoped that would happen when I told him I wasn't paying $20. The game has been there for at least a year and will probably just rot there. I didn't want to argue with him. He doesn't deserve my money if he's that much of a dumbass.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Ha, I just now beat it for the first time (did it on Normal).
Overall it was pretty good, but ugh, that sewer level was just terrible. Last boss fight was also unfortunately anti-climactic and incredibly easy (beat him on my first try). I'd say the soundtrack was one of the best points of the game, gotta love those Genesis synths and beats.

Retro Sega is great stuff.

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
LoneSage said:
Ha, I just now beat it for the first time (did it on Normal).
Overall it was pretty good, but ugh, that sewer level was just terrible. Last boss fight was also unfortunately anti-climactic and incredibly easy (beat him on my first try). I'd say the soundtrack was one of the best points of the game, gotta love those Genesis synths and beats.

Retro Sega is great stuff.
first boss spoils you silly though.

agreed 100% on the music and general love for retro sega stuff
yum